Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM for Nikon, Canon, etc
Somewhat intriguing is a description that obliquely suggests an emphasis on pleasing bokeh. Sigma describes the 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM this way:
The Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM is a state of the art lens designed for full frame cameras but can also be used with APS-C sensors as well.
The first addition to the Art category in Sigma’s Global Vision, the 35mm 1.4 DG HSM includes new features based around a unique lens concept and design.
The 35mm is a staple focal length in the world of photography, and paired with Sigma technology, this lens can take artistic expression to the next level.
The lens is equipped with technology including a Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM), floating internal focusing system, SLD and FLD Glass elements. The HSM ensures quiet, high seed, accurate autofocusing while the floating focusing system allows for superior optical performance with subjects at a closer shooting distance.
The SLD glass elements along with the FLD glass elements, which are equal to fluorite, help correct both axial and chromatic aberration.
The large 1.4 aperture make it ideal in low light and the lens is compatible with the Sigma USB dock and Optimization Pro software to adjust and fine tune focusing parameters. The Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM is a must have for any camera bag.
While the MSRP is $1499 (hello?), the street price at B&H is vastly lower, at about $899, making the Sigma 35/1.4 a real contender should it actually offer an imaging quality that competes favorably in pleasing image rendition. With the Nikon 35/1.4G almost double the price, and the Zeiss 35/1.4 Distagon more than double the price, it deserves a look at least, especially if it offers unique imaging qualities.
I might work the 35/1.4 DG HSM into my reviewing schedule if I obtain one quickly for evaluation.
|Mount:||Nikon, Canon, Sigma, Sony/Minolta, Pentax|
|Aperture scale:||f/1.4 - f/16|
|Angle of view:||63.4°|
|Image ratio at close range:||1:5.2|
|Minimum focus distance||30 cm / 11.8 in|
|Number of elements/groups:||13 Elements in 11 Groups|
|Weight:||not specified, varies slightly by mount|
|Dimensions (with caps):||77mm x 94mm mm / 3in x 3.7in|
|Street price:||About $899 (MSRP of $1499)|
Other features of the new 35mm F1.4 DG HSM include:
· One “F” Low Dispersion (FLD) glass lens and four Special Low Dispersion (SLD) glass lenses to ensure exceptional correction of lateral and axial chromatic aberration, the latter of which cannot be corrected in post production
· A floating inner focus system to provide extremely high optical performance for close-up photos
· Super Multi-Layer Coating to reduce flare and ghosting and provide sharp and high contrast images even in backlit conditions
· A HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) that ensures high speed, accurate and quiet AF
· Rubber incorporated into the attachment part of the lens hood, and an improved redesign of the lens cap and AF / MF changeover switch have been improved
· Thermally Stable Composite (TSC), which has high affinity to metal parts, that are housed internally, increases overall functionality, lifespan, and quality of the lens
· A rounded 9 blade diaphragm creates an attractive blur to the out-of-focus areas of the image
· A newly developed USB dock, which will be sold separately and exclusively for new product lines, can be paired with new Sigma Optimization Pro software to update the lens firmware and adjust parameters, such as micro focus adjustment