Olympus OM-D E-M1 Announced
See the existing in-depth review of the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
New products from Olympus available for pre-order from B&H Photo:
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 (Body Only).
- Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro Lens.
- Olympus EP-13 Eyecup for OM-D E-M1.
- Olympus LH-66 Lens Hood for 12-40mm f/2.8 Micro.
- Olympus LC-62D Metal Front Lens Cap for 12-40mm f/2.8
- Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip for OM-D E-M1 Micro Four Thirds Camera.
Features of note
Nice looking camera for starters, looks to be built for pro use.
The new body will definitely extend the lifespan of the Micro Four Thirds format but I still have concerns about the medium and long term viability of M4/3 since I expect APS-C and full-frame offerings to only get better, and with much larger sensors. Still, at least for a few years the E-M1 should please anyone looking for a M4/3 system and looking to be a pro-grade build quality with a great feature set.
- All new 16MP Live MOS Image Sensor, base ISO 200.
- High-definition EVF features a 2.36 million dot resolution, an impressive 1.48x magnification, 29ms image display lag, eye sensor for automatic switching between the EVF and monitor.
- Rear LCD: Tilt Touch Wide LCD with approx. 1037K dots resolution.
- Dual Autofocus – combining Contrast and on-chip Phase Detection AF
- 1/8000s mechanical shutter and 10fps sequential shooting.
- Dust, Splash, Freezeproof, full magnesium alloy construction, an intuitive dial and control layout with customizable direct control buttons, and an interactive “all-control” electronic viewfinder, in a portable, light weight body.
- In-Body 5-Axis Image Stabilization with IS Auto.
- When using the Olympus Image Share (O.I. Share) application, the remote function lets you fully control the camera’s shutter speed, aperture, ISO, Live Bulb shooting and more all from your smart-device.
- Full HD Video Recording, Interval Shooting, Time Lapse Video.
- All of our lenses -- from our super-quiet MSC Micro Four-Thirds lenses to our renowned SHG Four Thirds lenses work seamlessly and to their full potential when paired with the OM-D E-M1. Features such as Focus Peaking and Magnified Focus Assist let you use your favorite OM lens with the appropriate adapter for beautiful results.
- 1/8000 - 60 sec. (1/3, 1/2, or 1EV steps selectable)Bulb/Time: default setting 8min. (1/2/4/8/15/20/25/30 min. selectable).
- GPS: acquire the position information from smartphone with GPS function.
- Interval Shooting: 1-999 frames, Interval time 1sec-24hours, Time lapse movies.
- USB 2.0 connection to PC (SLOW).
New Olympus M. Zuiko 14-35mm f/2 ED
The new 12-40mm lens looks very nice, but note that it is a full stop slower than the full Four Thirds Olympus M. Zuiko 14-35mm f/2 ED. But that keeps it to a more manageable size and there is a good chance it might perform to a similar level.