Plus Largest Selection ever of Used, Refurb, and New Macs
Overview of Nikon Lenses
This section covers Nikon-brand lenses.
Nikon’s lens line
Nikon’s lens line is broad and deep, and includes not just current models, but many lenses that have been produced over the years, some of which are inexpensive, and some of which are coveted and cost at least twice their new price on the used market, like the NOCT-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 and the 28mm f/1.4 AI-S.
Other brands for Nikon
The venerable Nikon “F” mount has remained unchanged mechanically for many years and this has led to third-party lenses usable on Nikon cameras, not just Nikon’s own.
Other brands for Nikon include:
- the Zeiss ZF/ZF.2 line, covered in depth in Guide to Zeiss ZF/ZE Lenses;
- the Coastal Optics 60mm f/4 UV-VIS-IR APO Macro;
- the Voigtlander 21mm, 40mm, 58mm lenses are covered in depth in DAP.
- the Hartblei 40/80/120mm tilt/shift lenses with Zeiss medium format optics, covered in depth in DAP;
- the Schneider 28mm f/2.8 PC-Super-Angulon, covered in depth in DAP;
- various Leica R lenses which can be converted to Nikon mount;
DX vs FX lenses
The DX designation means that a lens is designed for a smaller 23.7mm wide sensor.
The FX designation means that a lens is designed for a full-frame 36 X 24mm sensor.
Learn more about Nikon lenses
For in-depth reviews of lenses to fit Nikon cameras (Hartblei, Voigtlander, etc), subscribe to Diglloyd’s Advanced Photography (DAP).
DAP is not just about lenses, it’s about cameras and technique and making better images, written to be approachable by beginner’s, but valuable to professionals. New material is constantly being added, so subscribe now!
Learn more about Zeiss ZF.2 / ZF lenses for Nikon
The Guide has numerous examples at much higher resolution, along with actual-pixels crops for each and every lens, in most cases several pages of examples per lens. New material is regularly added added to the Guide, so subscribe now!