Fenix RC09 Tiny but Powerful USB-Rechargeable LED Flashlight
The smart move is the Fenix RC09 kit with two batteries.
About half the size of its Fenix RC11 sibling, the Fenix RC09 is appealing for its powerful outtput but tiny form factor. It has performance in line with its smaller battery, but is still awesomely bright bright and operates just like the RC11. The RC09 is the ideal flashlight when space matters: small pocket, woman’s purse, cyclist’s backup light in a jersey pocket or under-seat saddlebag.
The Fenix RC09 was able to fully recharge two of its 700 mAh / 2.59 Wh battery in about 3.5 hours via solar power; see the charging test on the Anker Power Port Solar Panel page. Hence it makes for an outstanding choice for a backpacker carrying a solar panel, but looking for a lot of long lasting light in a very compact package.
Press and hold to turn the light on or off. It can also be set to lockout mode by double-clicking, to prevent the switch being inadvertently engaged in a pocket or pack.
The 4 brightness settings range from just enough to read a book or map to a throw good for a very bright scene over a wide area 100 feet out in Turbo mode—awesome! . While Turbo mode can overheat the flashlight if used too long, it has protective circuitry that cuts the light output when the temperature gets too high, thus protecting the LED. But since Turbo mode is so bright it’s not useful for hiking really—lower settings are better. Users that need continuous high output for 10+ minutes should go with high power Lupine bike lights and headlamps and flashlights.
The lowest of the 4 settings is quite dim, but suitable for reading at night in a tent and not bright enough for hiking with my 50+ year old eyes (except perhaps on a smooth flat trail). The next highest setting is bright enough for hiking reasonable terrain.
- Length: 2.8 in / 72mm, diameter: 0.8 in / 21.5mm
- Weight: 2.5 oz / 70g excluding battery. Weight as weighed: 61 grams with lanyard and battery. +17.1 grams for spare battery.
- Batteries: One 16340 rechargeable Li-ion battery (included)
- Included: Lanyard, holster, body clip, spare O-ring, charging cable, Fenix 16340 rechargeable Li-ion battery
- Warranty: Limited Lifetime Guarantee from Fenix Lighting US
- Utilizes Cree XM-L2 U2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
- Powered by one 16340 rechargeable Li-ion battery
- Magnetic suction charging port in the neck, one included 16340 rechargeable Li-ion battery
- Tailored magnetic charging cable also available in portable Micro USB devices
- One-switch for fast and convenient operation
- Lock-out function avoids accidental operation
- Intelligent over-heat protection to avoid high temperature of the surface
- Low-voltage warning reminds when charging or battery replacement is needed
- Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
- Digitally regulated output maintains constant brightness
- Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum, premium type Ⅲ hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish, toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
Tip: carry one spar 17-gram Fenix 16340 battery for multi-night outings.