Considerations for image capture..
Scroll down to see all publications and blog posts. Not all pages are curated—search.
Newest blog posts
2021-08-12 LibRAW Releases FastRawViewer 2.0
Converting monochrome raw files to working images..
All-arounder zoom with dubious optical compromises..
Oustanding image quality, but with some limitations..
- Image Quality with Long Exposures
- Image Quality with Underexposed Long Exposures
- Shootout: Nikon D850 vs Nikon D810, Early Night
- ISO Series: Creek to Pines to Mountain Peaks
- Noise and Dynamic Range Shootout at ISO 64, ISO Lo: D850 vs D810 (Sprinter Van)
- Dynamic Range: Lower Morgan Lake, Backlit Tree
- Noise: 30 Seconds, 3-stop Underexposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
- Noise: 15 Seconds, Near-Optimal Exposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
Improvements on the workhorse D800E..
D800 with the RGB Bayer matrix removed for a true monochrome sensor..
Comparing the 2012/2013 high-res pro DSLRs..
50 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
36-megapixel full-frame DSLR with SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode..
- Super Resolution Mode File Format
- ISO Series 100 to 205K, Jagged Bristlecone Stump
- SuperRes Pixel Shift: Two Field Shots at Sunset (White Mountains)
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode vs Std Res: Veiling Blue Haze (ACR bug)
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode vs Std Res: Color Inaccuracy, ACR Bug (Macbeth Color Checker)
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode vs Std Res: Color Inaccuracy, ACR Bug (Dolls)
Tips for processing high dynamic range images. .
Maximizing dynamic range and image quality by minimizing noise via multiple exposures..
Maximizing image quality, dynamic range, minimizing digital noise. .
Articles written for MediumFormat.com..
Phase One XF System, Phase One IQ4, Schneider Kreuznach Lenses.
100 megapixels in a body the size of a 35mm DSLR!.
100 megapixels in a portable package!.
Aspects of image quality..
Tips on getting the best results..
Image quality assessments..
- ISO Series from ISO 100 to 12800 (Dolls)
- Real World Dynamic Range: Lundy Canyon Boulders and High Clouds
- Real World Dynamic Range: Grant Lake
- Real World Dynamic Range: Kitchen
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX 50s vs 35mm (late 2017 view)
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX vs Nikon D850 vs Sony A7R III: Sunrise, Lundy Canyon Waterfall
How does the very best perform in the field?.
Performance both in the field and controlled conditions..
Tips on Getting the Best Results..
Lens performance at 80 megapixels..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Canon’s high-res mirrorless..
Technological tour de force..
Attention to details: a solid upgrade over the A7R II..
Attention to details: a big upgrade over the A7R..
- Dynamic Range Assessment at ISO 50 (Garage)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction On/Off at ISO 50/100/200 (Garage)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction On/Off at ISO 100, with Push, Chroma Noise Reduction (Egg-Shaped Boulder)
- Examples: Detailed Look at Long Exposures (Hoover Wilderness)
- Posterization in Broad Daylight (Portrait at Dana Lake)
- Examples: Dana Lake, Dana Glacier Part 1, 'Approach' (Zeiss Batis)
Full frame compact mirrorless with interchangeable lenses..
Blackout-free 20 fps speed demon..
Compact moderate wide angle for Sony mirrorless..
Premiere mid-range zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Razor sharp 28mm lens on APS-C sensor and outstanding usability and features..
Diminutive full-frame camera with 35mm f/2 fixed lens..
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and wide range zoom..
Fast, bright and highly corrected medium telephoto..
A worthy upddate to the E-M5 with pro-grade build quality..
Updated model with HighRes sensor shift mode..
Fujifilm's 24MP APS-C offering..
Value camera: 24 megapixel APS-C sensor with EVF and vibration-free shutter..
Outstanding wide angle, superb performer..
Leica’s 28-70mm APS-C compact camera..
Mirrorless Sigma Quattro larger APS-H sensor with interchangeable lenses..
45mm f/2.8 equivalent FOV lens..
75mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
Leica M 60 Megapixels..
Leica M 40 Megapixels..
Leica M 40 megapixel monochrome sensor..
Leica M mount in slim body with SL-type sensor..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2021-08-12 LibRAW Releases FastRawViewer 2.0
2017-12-22 Sony A7R III: Compressed Raw Gapping
2017-09-03 Nikon D850: RawDigger Support Available
2017-05-19 FastRawViewer Updated to v4.2
2017-02-09 Reader Comment: ETTR (Expose to the Right)
2016-12-17 RawDigger and FastRawViewer 25% Off
2016-04-21 FastRawViewer and RawDigger Discount
2015-12-05 RawDigger and FastRawViewer 25% Off
2015-10-19 Sony A7R II: Uncompressed Raw
2015-05-16 FastRawViewer and RawDigger Discount
2014-05-27 Sony A6000: Sensor Quality at ISO 100