Sharpness loss by focusing or zone of sharp focus..
Scroll down to see all publications and blog posts. Not all pages are curated—search.
Newest blog posts
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: AF Fine Tune Using Live View
Sharpness loss by camera or support or technique..
Using your camera’s mirror lockup, self timer, and Live View features..
- Mirror Lockup and Remote Release for Sharper Photos
- Enabling and Testing for Electronic First Curtain Shutter (EFC Shutter)
- Live View Overview
- Alternatives to Live View
- Live View Settings With Canon DSLRs
- Step-by-step Live View for Canon
- Canon Silent Shoot Mode for Zero Vibration
- Mirror Lockup and Self Timer on Nikon
- Using Live View With Nikon DSLRs
- Step-by-step Live View for Nikon
- Mirror Slap in Live View Mode on Nikon
- Seven Things Nikon Could Fix or Improve for Sharper Images
Increasing Depth of Field by means other than stopping down..
Best practices for shooting stacking frames..
Elusive sharpness, depending on aperture.
Focus shift with a variety of lenses..
Maximizing image quality, dynamic range, minimizing digital noise.
The best becomes better..
Improvements on the workhorse D800E..
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
- Alternative ~36 Megapixel Cameras
- D800 Live View vs Other Nikon Bodies and Canon 5DM3
- D800 / D800E Live View Tip for Better Definition
- Focus Accuracy (Focus Assist with Green Dot)
- Autofocus AF-S Accuracy: Nikon 85/1.4G, 85/1.8G (Mosaic)
- Autofocus AF-S Accuracy: Nikon 85/1.4G (Trash Can)
- Autofocus AF-C Accuracy: Nikon 85/1.4G, 85/1.8G (Mosaic)
High speed big brick shooter..
The 24.6 megapixel Sony A900 digital SLR is compared with Canon’ top-of-the-line 21.1MP EOS 1Ds Mark III. A field report including two comparisons with the Canon 1Ds Mark IIII, example images in color and black and white, and the Zeiss ZA 135mm f/1.8 Sonnar. Anti-Shake (SteadyShot) is assessed, as is noise behavior..
Includes: D3x resolution comparisons (res chart) with Nikon D3, Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, resolution comparison on outdoor shot with Nikon D3, large examples, large wildlife examples, Nikon 200mm f/2 VR on D3x, long exposure noise ISO series, D3x sensitivity on diffraction, D3x dynamic range at ISO 100 vs ISO 50, D3x vs D3 color and noise..
24-megapixel APS-C DSLR with SuperResolution true-color..
23-megapixel APS-C DSLR with an unusual feature set..
Canon’s versatile super telephoto..
Sigma’s best portrait lens..
A fast moderate wide angle lens with some practical difficulties..
State of the art design in a fast 35mm lens..
State of the art design in a fast 85mm lens..
Does high price guarantee quality control and superb images?.
Nikon’s ultra wide angle zoom and the Nikon 14mm f/2.8, critical focus shift behavior..
Experience, reader insights, etc..
High performance macro photography on medium format, equivalent to 99mm f/3.3..
Mirrorless large format with leaf shutter lenses..
A price/performance breakthrough?.
How does Hasselblad’s 3rd generation medium format entry measure up?.
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Ultra high performance with a fast aperture..
Strokes of a master..
Comparing the two 50mm options near and far, more comparisons coming..
Ultra high performance apochromatic normal lens, first in the Otus line..
Ultra high performance apochromatic medium telephoto, overview and technical..
King of bokeh! Corner-to-corner sharpness, world class..
Beautiful bokeh, razor sharp, superb color correction..
Articles written for Lenspire.ZEISS.com..
- Focusing Zeiss DSLR Lenses For Peak Performance, PART ONE: The Challenges
- Focusing Zeiss DSLR Lenses For Peak Performance PART TWO: Tips and Best Practices for Sharply Focused Images
- Depth of Field Challenges: Bypass the Limits with Focus Stacking, Near or Far, Macro or Landscape
- Zoom Lens or Prime? 15/18/21mm Lenses
- Zoom Lens or Prime? 50mm and 55mm
- Zoom Lens or Prime? 135mm
Articles written for MediumFormat.com..
Accurate focus and ease for your eyes..
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Full frame compact mirrorless with interchangeable lenses..
Premiere telephoto zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
24 or 16 megapixels in a compact body with APS-C sensor..
All-around slightly wide angle/normal with close focus..
Leica M mount in slim body with SL-type sensor..
Specific issues affecting usability..
Overall design and behavior..
Field shooting the Leica MM, and comparisons..
Modern digital features lacking with the M9..
Leica’s ultra wide angle zoom lens..
Leica’s fastest and widest lens..
Tweaked 2016 redesign..
Leica’s f/2 35mm for the M..
The world’s best 50mm lens is outstanding, but with some limits..
General discussion of R lenses on M..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: AF Fine Tune Using Live View
2014-08-27 Working Hard on a 'Project'
2014-08-27 Nikon D810: Sensor Cover Glass Quality?
2014-07-22 Reader Comments: D810 Review, Lenses, etc
2014-07-16 Nikon D810 About to Ship
2014-07-04 Reviewed: 50-Megapixel Pentax 645z
2014-07-04 Is 50 Megapixels Sharper than 36 Megapixels?
2014-07-02 Pentax 645z: 50 Megapixels Arrives
2014-06-30 Leica M Typ 240 Firmware Update
2014-06-27 “D810 Live View is Good”
2014-06-26 Thoughts on Nikon D810
2014-06-25 Nikon Announces D810
2013-07-14 Leica M Typ 240 Usability
2013-03-30 Spring Green with the Nikon D7100
2013-03-21 Nikon D7100 Initial Impressions
2013-01-27 Five Appealing Cameras
2012-09-17 24-Megapixel CMOS Leica M (Typ 240)
2012-09-14 Shitty Products
2012-08-04 Nikon D800E vs Nikon D800 — Which to Choose?
2012-07-22 A Few Thoughts on the Nikon D800E
2012-06-18 Nikon D800 / D800E Live View Tip
2012-05-09 D800 Live View Evaluation
2011-03-26 Reader Feedback on Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 Distagon
2010-12-29 Reader comment on Nikon D90 Live View
2009-02-15 Canon 5D Mark II Live View vignetting
2009-02-05 Presbyopia, bright light and Live View