An introduction to digital workflow and best practices..
Tips for processing high dynamic range images..
Maximizing image quality, dynamic range, minimizing digital noise.
The best becomes better..
- Introduction to Nikon D850
- Field Notes, Usage, Impressions
- Downloadable Nikon D850 Settings File
- Color Balance with Adobe Camera Raw: ISO 31 and ISO 64, Color Checker Card
- Sensor Resolution: Technical Challenges in Exploiting It
- Editorial For Those Considering Medium Format
- Nikon Quality Control: Misaligned Sensor Examples
- Assessing Infinity Focus: D850 vs D810
- Testing for a Misaligned Sensor
- Experience Report: Adjusting Autofocus Accuracy with the Nikon 105/1.4E
- D850 vs D810 Sharpness: Pine Creek Forested Hillside
- Experience Report: Autofocus Precision and Focus Shift, Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G
Unprecedented support for focus stacking in full-frame DSLR..
Oustanding image quality, but with some limitations..
- Examples of Outstanding Resolving Power
- Nikon D850 as a Black and White Camera
- Examples of Image Quality in Challenging Lighting
- Image Quality with Long Exposures
- Image Quality with Underexposed Long Exposures
- Shootout: Nikon D850 vs Nikon D810, Early Night
- ISO Series: Creek to Pines to Mountain Peaks
- Noise and Dynamic Range Shootout at ISO 64, ISO Lo: D850 vs D810 (Sprinter Van)
- Dynamic Range: Lower Morgan Lake, Backlit Tree
- Noise: 30 Seconds, 3-stop Underexposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
- Noise: 15 Seconds, Near-Optimal Exposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
Improvements on the workhorse D800E..
- Nikon D810 Live View vs D800/D800E
- Adobe Camera Raw: Harsh Tonal Transitions with 'Camera Standard' Profile
- Nikon D810 Settings File (Download)
- Nikon D810 Picture Controls: What is Affected, JPEG Examples
- Recommended Picture Control Settings for Live View Focusing
- Processing NEF: a Quick Look at Adobe Camera Raw vs Nikon NX-D
- Real-World Dynamic Range
- Pushing Nikon D810 at ISO 64 up to 5.5 Stops
- ISO Series 31, 64, 100, ..., 12800 (Otus Fruit)
- D810 Chroma Noise Reduction ISO 3200 to 12800 (Otus Fruit)
- Noise vs Degree of Enlargement (Fruit, D810 at Sony A7s Size)
- D810 vs D800E: ISO 3200 Noise + White Balance + Sharpness (Decorated Bike)
- D810 vs D800E: Depth of Sharpness (Decorated Bike, ISO 100/64)
- Aperture Series: Fruit Arrangement (Nikon 45mm f/2.8P)
- Nikon D810 + Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 APO vs Pentax 645Z (Pine Creek Sunflowers)
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
- Custom Functions
- Alternative ~36 Megapixel Cameras
- NEF Formats: 12-bit or 14-bit, Uncompressed or Compressed
- D800 Live View vs Other Nikon Bodies and Canon 5DM3
- D800 / D800E Live View Tip for Better Definition
- How Accurate is the Virtual Horizon Feature?
- Staircasing on Sharply Defined Edges
- Examples — Initial Miscellaneous
- Examples — Miscellaneous
- Examples — Aerial and Architecture
- Examples — Church Interior
- Examples — Portraits
- Examples — Sharpening Portraits
- Examples — Downsampling to Competing Sizes
- Examples — Black & White Conversion
- Diffraction and Optimal Aperture (Mosaic, Leica 100/2.8 APO)
- Examples — RAW to TIF Processing
- Focus Accuracy (Focus Assist with Green Dot)
- Autofocus AF-S Accuracy: Ad-Hoc Field Shooting
- Autofocus AF-S Accuracy: Nikon 85/1.4G, 85/1.8G (Mosaic)
- Autofocus AF-S Accuracy: Nikon 85/1.4G (Trash Can)
- Autofocus AF-S Accuracy and Precision: Lens Align Target
- AF Fine Focus Adjust (Rodin)
- Autofocus AF-S Accuracy: Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II (Various)
- Autofocus AF-C Accuracy: Nikon 85/1.4G, 85/1.8G (Mosaic)
- Comparison to Nikon D3x (Aerial)
- Comparison to Leica S2 (Mosaic)
- ISO Series from 50 to 25600 (Flowers)
- ISO Series from 50 to 12800 (Mosaic)
- ISO Series from 50 to 25600 (Brass Doors)
- ISO Series: D3s vs D800 from ISO 100 to 12800 (Dolls)
- Resolution: D3s vs D800 from ISO 100 to 12800 (Dolls)
- Long Exposure (Maple)
- LENS Evaluations: Notes
- LENS: D800 + Voigtlander Color-Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL-II
- LENS: D800 + AF-S 24/1.4G
- LENS: D800 + AF-S 35/1.4G
- LENS: D800 + Voigtlander Ultron 40/2 SL-II
- LENS: D800 + 45mm f/2.8P
- LENS: D800 + PC-E Micro Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED
- LENS: D800 + AF-S 50/1.4G and AF-S 50/1.8G
- LENS: D800 + Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL-II
- LENS: D800 + AF-S 60/2.8G Macro
- LENS: D800 + AF-S 85/1.4G
- LENS: D800 + 85/2.8D PC-Micro-Nikkor
- LENS: D800 + Voigtlander 90mm F/3.5 SL II APO-Lanthar
- LENS: D800 + AF-S 105/2.8G ED-IF VR Macro
- LENS: D800 + AF-D 105/2 DC
- LENS: D800 + AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II @ 70mm, 135mm
- LENS: D800 + 180/2.8D ED-IF vs AF-S 70-200/2.8G VR II @ 185mm
- LENS: D800 + 200/4.0D ED Micro-Nikkor
- LENS Evaluations: Conclusions
- Optimal Aperture, Depth of Field
Image quality best practices and how-to with the Nikon D800/D800E..
D800E supplement and comparisons with Nikon D800..
- D800 vs D800E Optical Low Pass Filter and Wave Plate
- D800 vs D800E Sharpness
- D800E — Moiré Example (Stonework)
- D800E — Moiré Removal With Lightroom 4 (Stonework)
- Examples — D800E — Initial Evaluation
- D800E Diffraction and Optimal Aperture (Mosaic, Zeiss 50/2)
- D800E vs D800 (Aerial, Fountain)
- D800E vs D800 RAW Sharpening Comparison (Aerial, Fountain)
- D800E vs D800 (Dolls)
- D800E vs D800 RAW Sharpening Comparison (Dolls)
- D800E vs D800 Sharpening Noise (Dolls)
- D800E vs Canon 5DM3 vs Leica M9 (Dolls)
- D800E AF-S Accuracy: Nikon 28/1.8G (Mosaic)
- D800E vs Canon 5DM3 Noise (Whites Outhouse)
How does video quality compare with crop of mid-2012 DSLRs?.
- Overview of Nikon/Canon DSLR Video
- Comparing Video Quality at 1080 HD
- Comparing Video Quality at 720p
- Nikon D800E Video with Nikon 14-24 (Zoom Sequence)
- Nikon D800E Video (Canyon’s End)
- Nikon D800E Time Lapse Video: Ellery Lake at Dawn
- Nikon D800E Time Lapse Video: Clouds Moving Granite Bowl
- Nikon D800E Time Lapse Video: Rain Pool With Green Ferns
- Nikon D800E Time Lapse Video: Canyon’s End
D800 with the RGB Bayer matrix removed for a true monochrome sensor..
Full-frame 24 megapixel DSLR..
- Field Comparison: D600 vs D800E (Saddlebag Overlook)
- Field Comparison: D600 vs D800E (Cabin Bathroom)
- Field Comparison: D600 vs D800 (Kuna Peak)
- Field Comparison: D600 vs D800 (Pine Creek Tungsten Mine)
- Field Comparison: D600 vs D800 (Pine Creek Tungsten Mine, Aerial)
- Worth Saving the Money on D600 vs D800/D800E?
- Notable Limitations of the D600
- Live View Issues with the D600
Full-frame 16 megapixel Retro Style DSLR..
Comparing the 2012/2013 high-res pro DSLRs..
Nikon’s pro-body high speed low light wonder..
High speed big brick shooter..
- File Size as a Metric for ISO Quality
- ISO Series from ISO 50 to 102400 (Dolls)
- ISO Series from ISO 50 to 102400, Color vs Black and White (Dolls)
- Nikon D5 vs Nikon D810, ISO 1600 to 51200 (Dolls)
- Nikon D5 + 85mm f/1.4G Autofocus Accuracy, Lens Align Target
- Nikon D5 + 85mm f/1.4G Autofocus Accuracy, Outdoor Targets
22 megapixel successor to the popular 5D Mark II..
50 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
Nikon’s finest 70-200 zoom as of 2017..
- Aperture Series @ 70mm: Mosaic (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 70mm: Tailings Piles (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 75mm: American Hotel, Cerro Gordo (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 95mm: Tailings Piles (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 120mm: Yellow Bike at Night (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 130mm: Mosaic (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 135mm: 'The Claw' Fountain at Night (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 135mm: White Truck at Night (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 135mm: Rodin Burghers of Calais (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 150mm: Cala Lillies (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 160mm: Penetrating Power at Night, Tower (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 165mm: Bikes at Night (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 170mm: Mosaic (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 180mm: Rush Creek Waterfall (Nikon D810)
- Nikon D810 Autofocus Compensation for Focus Shift
- vs Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art (White Flowers, Nikon D810)
- vs Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art (Cerro Gordo Bunkhouse, Nikon D810)
Nikon’s bread and butter telephoto zoom.
Ultra fast 200mm with gorgeous bokeh and high resolving power..
Includes: D3x resolution comparisons (res chart) with Nikon D3, Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, resolution comparison on outdoor shot with Nikon D3, large examples, large wildlife examples, Nikon 200mm f/2 VR on D3x, long exposure noise ISO series, D3x sensitivity on diffraction, D3x dynamic range at ISO 100 vs ISO 50, D3x vs D3 color and noise..
Long exposure noise performance with the Nikon D3x, D3 and Canon 5D Mark II at ISOs from 50 through 25600..
Compact medium wide angle..
Ultra compact normal lens..
Medium telephoto with world-class chromatic correction..
Ultra wide tilt/shift lens.
- Aperture Series at 12mm Shift, Long Axis: Focus Placement is Critical (Mosaic, Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series at 12mm Shift, Short Axis: Mosaic at Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series, 12mm shift: Maple Trees in Sunken Area (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Focus Shift on Frosty Picnic Table (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Oak Tree and Deck with Lens Tilt (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Frosty Wood Round: Tilt and Focus Shift (Nikon D810)
Medium telephoto tilt/shift macro focusing lens.
[Older material, but still relevant]. Shift lens performance of Nikon/Canon/Schneider/Olympus on various cameras..
Tamron’s ultra wide to medium fast zoom..
Fast constant-aperture ultrawide zoom..
Mid-range optimized groundbreaking f/2 zoom..
Wide angle to telephoto all purpose zoom..
Sigma’s fast high performance wide angle..
- Aperture Series: Glistening Rocks and Running Water (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Water Wears Its Way (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Huge Barn Interior (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Collapsed Ranch House at Sunset (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Defunct Ranch Buildings at Sunset (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Huge Barn Interior (Nikon D810)
- Shootout: Sigma 24/1.4 Art vs Nikon AF-S 24/1.4G (Dolls, NikonD810)
Sigma’s fast and affordable moderate excellent wide angle..
- Compared to Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.4G (Dolls, Nikon D800E)
- Compared to Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.4G (Summit Building, Nikon D800E)
- Autofocus Calibration vs Nikon 35/1.4G (Lens Align, Nikon D800E)
- 'Soft Eyes' Portraits BEFORE Fine Focus Adjust (Nikon D800E)
- Portraits AFTER Fine Focus Adjust (Nikon D800E)
- Aperture Series: Sprinkler Controls (Nikon D800E)
- Aperture Series: White/Green Beater Bike (Nikon D800E)
- Aperture Series: Red Beater Bike (Nikon D800E)
- Lens Skew (Nikon D800E)
- Lens Skew Confirmation (Nikon D800E)
Sigma’s fast high performance normal lens..
Sigma’s best portrait lens..
- Aperture Series: Extreme Adverse Lighting: Saddlebag Lake Reflections (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Peaks by Moonlight (Nikon D810)
- Shootout: Sigma 85/1.4A vs Zeiss Milvus 85/1.4 vs Nikon 85/1.4G (Lundy Beaver Ponds, Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: View Over Conness Creek Drainage to Saddlebag Lake (Nikon D850)
- Shootout: Sigma 85/1.4A vs Zeiss Milvus 85/1.4 vs Nikon 85/1.4G (Snowy Spur of Mt Conness, Nikon D810)
- Shootout: Sigma 85/1.4A (Two Samples) vs Zeiss Milvus 85/1.4 (Siemens Chart, Nikon D810)
- Examples: Eastern Sierra (Nikon D810)
- Examples, Focus Stacking: Eastern Sierra (Nikon D850)
Fastest 135mm lens yet, with ultra high performance..
- Aperture Series: Birds Eye View of Patriarch Grove (Nikon D850)
- Aperture Series: Mosaic (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Rodin Burghers of Calais, with focus stack (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Glass Sculpture (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Hotel Cerro Gordo, Deep Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Examples: Autofocus Accuracy (Nikon D810)
- Examples: Eastern Sierra (Nikon D850)
- vs Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 FL ED VR (White Flowers, Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Quad at Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Pink Flowers (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: American Hotel, Cerro Gordo (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: View Over Conness Creek Drainage to Saddlebag Lake (Nikon D850)
- Aperture Series: Trees Clinging to Barren North Rocky Face (Nikon D850)
- Aperture Series: Pescadero Creek (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Grass Stems in Blue Boulder (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Mid-Creek Boulder (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Pescadero Creek Downstream (Nikon D810)
- vs Nikon 70-200/2.8E FL ED VR (Cerro Gordo Bunkhouse, Nikon D810)
Sigma’s fast telephoto APO macro lenses..
Wide angle tilt/shift lens at 28mm..
Ultra compact pancake lens with nice bokeh.
Nikon’s classic high speed normal lens.
Nikon’s latest 50mm lens compared with the Zeiss ZF 50/1.4, Nikon 50/1.4D and Sigma 50/1.4..
Nikon’s High Performance Moderately-Priced 50mm..
Nikon’s High performance normal lens.
- Close Range Comparison vs NOCT-Nikkor (D800E, Bathroom)
- Shootout: 58/1.4G vs 50/1.4G, 50/1.8G, 50/1.2 AIS (D800E, DeChambeau Sidelit Barn)
- Shootout: 58/1.4G vs 50/1.4G, 50/1.8G, 50/1.2 AIS (D800E, Beaver Dam)
- Matched Comparison vs 50/1.4G (D800E, Beaver Dam)
- Aperture Series: Boulder Logjam (D800E)
- Aperture Series: DeChambeau Ranch Outbuilding (D800E)
- Aperture Series: DeChambeau Ranch 'Garage at Dusk' (D800E)
- Aperture Series: DeChambeau Ranch Cottonwood Rounds (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Building at Night (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Flyers on Kiosk (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Church at Night (D800E)
- Examples: Ad Hoc (D800E, Fruit and Yard)
- 58/1.4G vs NOCT-Nikkor vs Voigtlander 58/1.4 SL (D800E, Persimmon Tree)
- 58/1.4G vs NOCT-Nikkor vs Voigtlander 58/1.4 SL (D800E, Street at Night)
Nikon’s sought-after high speed aspheric slightly long normal lens..
Nikon’s fast ultra wide angle..
- Shooting at Dusk: f/1.8 vs f/2.8 (D810, Egg Erratic)
- Aperture Series: Green and Orange Pumpkins (D810)
- Aperture Series: Sunflower Blossom (D810)
- Aperture Series: Multi-Stem Sunflower and Blue Sky (D810)
- Aperture Series: Glacial Erratics in Blue Skylight, Westering Sunstar (D810)
- Aperture Series: Glacial Erratic To Peak (D810)
- Aperture Series: Mt Conness Glacier Remnants (D810)
- Aperture Series: Pine Creek Sun Wedge (D810)
- Aperture Series: Pine Lake Peak, Last Kiss of Sunlight (D810)
- Aperture Series: Sparkling Lake (D810)
- Aperture Series: Dusk Glow On Bristlecone Graveyard (D810)
- Focus Shift: 20/1.8G vs 14-24/2.8G (D810, Rulers)
Versatile autofocus wide angle..
State of the art design in a fast 24mm lens. Includes full-resolution images at f/1.4..
- Autofocus — Nikon D3s Building Distant
- Autofocus — Nikon D3s Brick Building
- Autofocus — Nikon D3s Golden Gate Bridge
- Autofocus — Nikon D3x Brick Building
- Autofocus — Nikon D3x Golden Gate Bridge
- Autofocus — Nikon D3x Flag
- Focus Shift (Dolls, Nikon D800E)
- Aperture Series: Sidelit Barn at DeChambeau Ranch (Nikon D800E)
- Aperture Series: Sunrise Glow on Lundy Creek (Nikon D800E)
An ultra-fast older design still offers appeal on modern digital..
A superlative multi-spectral lens with perfect color correction..
State of the art design in a fast 35mm lens..
Relatively inexpensive alternative to the pro 35/1.4G..
State of the art design in a fast 85mm lens..
Nikon’s best-ever f/1.4 lens?.
- Aperture Series: Lundy Canyon Meadow, Pre-Dawn (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Orange Aspen by Towering Monolith (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Sidelit Giant Boulder (Nikon D850)
- Aperture Series: View Down to Conness Creek Drainage (Nikon D850)
- How a TINY Change in Focus Alters Performance (Nikon D850)
Compact and lightweight travel-friendly telephoto..
Relatively compact super-telephoto zoom..
Nikon’s ultra wide angle zoom and the Nikon 14mm f/2.8, critical focus shift behavior..
Medium format Zeiss glass in Hartblei precision tilt/shift lens barrels!.
Perspective control for architecture or landscape as an alternative to Nikon and Canon brand name offerings..
Ultra wide angle lens for Canon and Nikon..
Focusing accuracy and errors..
Using your camera’s mirror lockup, self timer, and Live View features..
Increasing Depth of Field by means other than stopping down..
Bypass the limits on depth of field and diffraction..
Examples of Focus Stacking..
Getting peak performance from your lens.
Sharpness issues related to camera and lens tolerances and build quality..
Attention to details: a big upgrade over the A7R..
The best compact big-sensor digital camera yet?.
Can smaller sensor cameras compete with larger ones on any basis?.
28mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
Fujifilm skips full-frame to go from APS-C to to medium format..
Performance both in the field and controlled conditions..
50-Megapixel Medium Format DSLR with Live View.
Examples and comparison from the various lenses.
Infrared camera choices with examples.
All about shooting in infrared..
An outstanding 18mm design..
- Aperture Series: Bristlecone Hillside With Lingering Snow Field (Nikon D850)
- Aperture Series: Rising Earth Shadow seen from White Mountains Barren Plain (Nikon D850)
- Aperture Series: Frosty Wood Round (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Frosty Picnic Table (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Frosty Deck Chair (Nikon D810)
Highest performing 35mm from Zeiss ever..
Outstanding build and optical quality in a normal lens..
- Aperture Series: Hazy Dawn at Tenaya Lake (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Yellow Flowers by Waterfall (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Defaced Aspen Trunks (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Sunrise over Cold Creek (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Flowers by Creek at Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Glowing Aspen Trunks (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Natural Bonsai over Beaver Pond, Late Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Beaver Pond at Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Milvus 50/1.4 vs 55/1.4 APO-Distagon: Lundy Painted Face Rock (D810)
Outstanding build and optical quality in a medium tele..
- Aperture Series: Beaver Pond at Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Yellow Flowers by Waterfall (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Yellow Flowers Closeup (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Dead Tree in Dark Creek (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Arced Tree Over Blue Pond (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Water Sheeting over Colorful Bedrock (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Lundy Canyon Upper Cataracts (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Diagonal Tree At Waterfall Cliff (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Debris At Cataract Bottom (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Dolls (Nikon D5)
On Otus, in effect. Milvus garb for the 135/2 APO, with improved lens coatings on one element. See the ZF.2/ZE 135/2 review pages..
Ultra high performance in an extreme wild wide angle lens..
- Field Curvature and MTF and Focus (Nikon D800E, Mosaic)
- Aperture Series: Radio Towers (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Surreal Bristlecones at High Altitude, Generations (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Pine Creek Stormy Light (Nikon D810)
- Examples (Ad-Hoc, Nikon D3x)
- Examples (Purissima Creek Redwoods, Nikon D3x)
- Examples (Church Interior, Nikon D3x)
- Examples (Yosemite, Nikon D800E)
- Examples (White Mountains, Nikon D800E)
- Examples in Monochrome (Pescadero, Nikon D800 Monochrome)
- Comparison to Nikon 14-24 (Bristlecone, Nikon D800E)
- Comparison to Nikon 14-24 (Aspen Cluster, Nikon D800E)
- Comparison to Nikon 14-24 (Cabin, Nikon D800E)
A brilliant, but also colorful character..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Ultra high performance with a fast aperture..
A gem with unusual close-focus..
An artist’s drawing tool..
- Comparison—Nikon D3
- Aperture Series: Lundy Canyon Beaver Dam (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Mossy Green Boulders Amid Water Polished Rocks (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Creekside Yellow Flowers and Dark Rocks, Lundy Creek (D810)
- Aperture Series: Twisted Aspen (D810)
- Aperture Series: White Mountains Landscape (Nikon D810)
Strokes of a master..
Balance and poise..
Brilliant imaging in a compact package..
Versatility in a “normal” lens and macro too!.
Ultra high performance apochromatic normal lens, first in the Otus line..
Rendering style, bokeh and beauty..
- Selective Focus: Bathroom Items (D800E)
- Examples: Ordinary Household Items(D800E)
- Examples: NYC Daytime (D800E)
- Examples: NYC Dusk and Night (D800E)
- Night Shooting: Moonrise over Kuna Peaks (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Tulips (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Red Barn (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Macro PK11A, Doll (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Green Fin Wine Bottle (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Merlin MTB (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Bristlecone Beauty (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Lace-Curtained Cabin Window (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Table and Chair, Open Door (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Lichen-Covered Glacial Erratic in River (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Bleached Tree in River (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Blue Glacial Erratics (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Lampshade (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Glacial Blue, Winter’s Icy Hint (D810)
- Aperture Series: Pine Creek Thunderstorms (D810)
Ultra high performance apochromatic medium telephoto, overview and technical..
Rendering style, bokeh and 'transparency' without peer..
- Portraits (Nikon D810)
- Examples: Monitor Pass Area (Nikon D850)
- Aperture Series: Contrast Under Strong Backlighting, Moots (Nikon D800E)
- Aperture Series: Atlas Permaguard (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Pine Creek Thunderstorms (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Aspen Leaf on Black Rock (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Solo Aspen at Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Fresh Cut Stick On Beaver Dam (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Rich Green Aspen with Dead Limbs (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Green Bokeh Beauty (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Early Yellow Aspen (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Beaver Dam View Across Lake (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Broad-Leaved Green Plant (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Wet Aspen Trunk (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Huge Silver Mining Gears at Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: DeChambeau Yellow Wagon (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Pine Creek Riparian Tree Medley (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Fruit Platter (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series vs Nikon 85/1.4G: Tools Closeup (Nikon D850)
- Aperture Series vs Nikon 85/1.4G: Boreal Skiing Slope at Night (Nikon D850)
Peering into shadows at night with the very best..
- Aperture Series: AHERN Construction Crane (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Tower at Dusk #1 (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Tower at Dusk #2 (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Garden Bench (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Emergency and Lights (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Tree / Tiles / Tower Near-Far Stacking (Nikon D810)
King of bokeh! Corner-to-corner sharpness, world class..
Beautiful bokeh, razor sharp, superb color correction..
- Aperture Series (D800E, Dolls)
- Bokeh Aperture Series: Tulips 10 (D800E)
- Bokeh Aperture Series: Peach Blossoms (D800E)
- Max Detail Aperture Series: Mosaic (D800E)
- Using ƒ/4 vs ƒ/2 for Isolation: City Binoculars (D800E)
- Macro Quality at 1:4 (D800E, Doll Seated)
- Aperture Series: Blue Doll / Pellegrino (Nikon D800E)
- Aperture Series: Glacial Erratics in Tuolumne River (Nikon D800E)
- Aperture Series: Glacial Erratics in Meadow (Nikon D800E)
- Aperture Series: Bristlecone Bokeh (Nikon D800E)
- Aperture Series: MTB Gearing (D800 Monochrome)
- Bokeh: Out of Focus Specular (D800E, Vehicle)
- Bokeh Examples (D800E, Various)
- Bokeh Examples (D800E, Golden Gate Bridge)
- Examples (D800E, Hakone Garden, Garden)
- Examples in Monochrome, Pescadero Creek (D800 Monochrome)
- Examples in Monochrome, Various (D800 Monochrome)
- Alignment (D800E, Distance Scene)
- Compared to Nikon 135mm f/2 DC (D800E, House)
- Compared to Nikon 135mm f/2 DC (D800E, Rulers on Table)
- Compared to Zeiss 100mm f/2 Makro-Planar (D800E, Rulers on Table)
- vs Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art and Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 FL ED VR: White Flowers (Nikon D810)
- vs Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art: Pink Flowers (Nikon D810)
- Performance on 56-megapixel DSLR Pixel Density + MTF (D7100, Dolls)
Good stuff and not so good stuff..
Vintage 2006 comparative review of Nikon D200 vs Nikon D2x..
- Main Page
Relative sharpness and performance across cameras..
Relative sharpness and performance vs APS-C cameras..
Field shooting the Leica MM, and comparisons..
Leica’s fastest and widest lens..
Leica’s smallest and lightest M lens with superlative performance..
Superb all-around macro and general-purpose lens..
World’s best mid-range telephoto lens..
2018-07-20 Mono Lake from Mt Dana, Pre-Dawn
2017-12-23 Nikon D850 Shipments: Some Movement
2017-12-18 Update on Nikon D850 Flange Focal Distance
2017-11-15 Time to Head for Home
2017-11-09 Things Coming Soon
2017-10-30 Images Added for Various Lenses
2017-10-23 Nikon D850: Underexposed Long Exposures
2017-10-17 Nikon D850, Priorities
2017-10-13 Nikon D850: Challenging Exposures
2017-10-12 Nikon D850: Something Special
2017-10-09 Nikon D850: ISO 31 vs ISO 64 and vs D810
2017-10-06 Nikon D850: Status on my Review
2017-10-03 Nikon D850: Misaligned Sensor Example Images
2017-09-25 Nikon D850: Arriving Sept 26
2017-09-15 Really Right Stuff L-Bracket for Nikon D850
2017-09-12 XQD Card for Nikon D850: Sony 256GB
2017-09-08 Adobe Camera Raw Supports Nikon D850
2017-09-05 Nikon D850: this Weekend
2017-09-03 Nikon D850: RawDigger Support Available
2017-08-29 Nikon D850: Summarizing Posts so Far
2017-08-27 Nikon D850: Heavier than D810
2017-08-27 Nikon D850: Supports USB 3.0
2017-08-27 Nikon D850: Whew!
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: 0.75X Optical Viewfinder
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: AF Fine Tune Using Live View
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Battery Life
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Evaluating Noise Properly
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Focus Stepping Feature
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Focusing and Metering
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: In-Camera Raw to JPEG
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Metering (I Want Auto-ETTR!)
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Metering and Autofocus
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Video Features
2017-08-25 Some Interesting Points About the Nikon D850
2017-08-24 XQD Card for Nikon D850
2017-07-24 The Logjam Breaks: Nikon Discusses the D850
2017-01-31 Reader Comment: Medium Format vs Nikon D810
2016-10-19 B&H Photo Photoplus Show Specials
2016-10-19 Where is the Nikon D900?
2016-09-14 Zeiss Milvus 100mm f/2M: Fun with Macro
2016-08-28 Zeiss Milvus 100mm f/2M: Streamside Macro
2015-12-28 Deal: Dracast LED500 Pro Bi-Color LED light
2015-10-27 Spectral Transmission of Digital Sensors
2015-10-07 Reader Comment: Big DSLR Price Cuts, Why?
2015-09-21 Reader Question: Nikon or Sony?
2015-09-05 “Window between Sony and Nikon D820”
2015-03-27 Nikon and Canon: Catatonic?
2015-02-09 Nikon D810a ('a' for Astrophotography)
2014-12-10 Nikon D810 Instant Savings of $300
2014-11-13 Nikon 20mm f/1.8G: Night Shooting
2014-10-31 Last Light
2014-08-30 Fujifilm X100: Can’t Charge the Battery
2014-08-29 Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Distagon: Brilliant
2014-08-27 Nikon D810: Sensor Cover Glass Quality?
2014-08-27 Working Hard on a 'Project'
2014-08-19 Going Over Material, Updates Soon
2014-08-19 Nikon Capture NX-D: DOA
2014-08-18 Back from Trip
2014-08-12 Nikon D810: HDR in One Exposure?
2014-08-06 Is the D810 Sharper than the D800E?
2014-08-02 ISO 3200 on Nikon D810
2014-07-30 Nikon D810: Things Yet to be Covered
2014-07-28 Nikon D810 In Stock at B&H
2014-07-22 Reader Comments: D810 Review, Lenses, etc
2014-07-22 What Does Nikon Picture Control Do?
2014-07-21 Nikon Capture NX-D: “D” for Dimwits?
2014-07-21 Nikon D810: Adobe Camera Raw Support
2014-07-20 Nikon D810 Image Quality
2014-07-18 Nikon D810: Real-World Dynamic Range
2014-07-17 Nikon D810: Enroute
2014-07-16 Nikon D810 About to Ship
2014-07-16 Nikon D810: can it compete with Pentax 645Z?
2014-06-27 “D810 Live View is Good”
2014-06-26 Thoughts on Nikon D810
2014-06-25 Nikon Announces D810
2014-01-30 Nikon D800E and D800 Instant Savings
2013-12-09 Nikon Df: Initial Impressions on Ergonomics
2013-12-04 More Examples with the Nikon D800 Monochrome
2013-12-02 Nikon D800M (Pure Monochrome), Reviewed
2013-11-30 Debayering a Color Sensor
2013-11-05 Thoughts on Nikon Df
2013-10-12 This Week’s Camera News
2013-09-20 What Happened to Pro DSLRs?
2013-09-17 Wyman Canyon
2013-08-10 Nikon’s Camera Sales for Q1, 2013
2013-08-01 Camera Production Figures (CIPA)
2013-05-07 Nikon D800 Infrared Examples
2013-05-02 Nikon D800E vs Canon 5D Mark III: Sharpness
2013-04-18 Leica M Typ 240: Which 21mm Lens?
2013-04-02 Nikon D800 / D800E Firmware Update
2013-03-30 Spring Green with the Nikon D7100
2013-03-22 Nikon AF-S 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 ED VR
2013-03-21 Nikon D7100 Initial Impressions
2013-03-13 Nikon D7100 Deal, Ships tomorrow
2013-03-05 56-megapixel Nikon D4x?
2013-03-05 Sigma DP2 Merrill: Tulips Examples
2013-02-28 Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO-Sonnar: General Comments
2013-02-27 Zeiss 135mm f/2 APO-Sonnar: Tulips
2013-02-21 Nikon D7100 — No Anti-Aliasing Filter
2013-02-20 Nikon D600 and D800 Refurbished: USA Camera
2013-01-27 Five Appealing Cameras
2012-12-27 Nikon D600 or D800?
2012-12-16 Nikon D600 or Sony RX1?
2012-12-14 Deals: Nikon Drops D600, D800E price
2012-10-23 Nikon D600 Sensor Dust
2012-10-22 Nikon D800E is IN STOCK at Amazon
2012-10-19 D800 Reading Material
2012-10-08 Video Quality of Nikon D4 and D800
2012-10-05 Nikon D600 Initial Impressions
2012-09-19 The New Nikon D600 is IN STOCK at B&H Photo
2012-09-15 Compared: Leica M Monochrom vs Nikon D800E
2012-09-13 Nikon D600 Announced (and Ships Soon)
2012-09-07 More Time-Lapse Videos With Nikon D800E
2012-09-07 Time-Lapse Video With Nikon D800E
2012-08-11 Nikon D800 / D800E autofocus Precision
2012-08-04 Nikon D800E vs Nikon D800 — Which to Choose?
2012-07-28 Nikon D800 — in for Focus Check
2012-07-22 A Few Thoughts on the Nikon D800E
2012-06-18 Nikon D800 / D800E Live View Tip
2012-06-18 Reader Comment: Nikon D4 vs Nikon D800
2012-06-16 Nikon D4 Video Quality = Awful
2012-06-11 SanDisk Card Errors in D800E
2012-06-10 A Study of Focus Shift With Six 28mm Lenses
2012-06-09 Nikon D800E Moiré
2012-06-06 Reader Perspective: Nikon D4 vs Nikon D800
2012-06-04 Reader Comments: D3x vs D800
2012-06-02 Nikon D800E vs Canon 5D Mark III vs Leica M9
2012-05-30 D800E Arrived
2012-05-27 Nikon D800 Bug (insect)
2012-05-17 Nikon D800E: Worst-case Moiré
2012-05-15 Nikon D800 + Nikon D800E
2012-05-11 Reader Comment: Nikon D800 Lens Testing
2012-05-10 Still Looking for Nikon D800E
2012-05-09 D800 Live View Evaluation
2012-05-08 Reader Comment on Nikon D800: Aliasing
2012-05-07 Help Me Find a D800 or D800E so I Can Review
2012-05-05 Nikon D800 and Infrared
2012-05-04 Nikon D800E — Staircasing
2012-05-02 Nikon D800E vs Nikon D800
2012-05-01 Nikon D800E
2012-04-28 Nikon D800E Coming
2012-04-26 Optimal Aperture for Nikon D800
2012-04-25 D800E in the USA? Loan it to Me...
2012-04-25 Nikon D4 Optimal Aperture (Diffraction)
2012-04-25 Nikon D800 / D800E Focusing Aid (Eye)
2012-04-25 Nikon D800 Optimal Aperture (Diffraction)
2012-04-24 D800E Status
2012-04-19 D800 Reading Material
2012-04-19 Nikon D800E
2012-04-18 Reader Comments on D800, 5D Mark III
2012-04-17 Nikon D800: NEF Download Examples
2012-04-16 Nikon D800 Custom Functions and My Menu
2012-04-13 Nikon D800 vs D3s Resolution
2012-04-10 Nikon D800 Autofocus Accuracy
2012-04-10 Nikon D800 Examples
2012-04-10 Nikon D800 Examples, More Coming
2012-04-10 Nikon D800 ISO Series (Brass Doors)
2012-04-10 Nikon D800 ISO Series (Mosaic)
2012-04-10 Nikon D800 Long Exposure
2012-04-09 Nikon D800 ISO Series (Flowers)
2012-04-08 Nikon D800 Portrait Examples
2012-04-07 D800 Reading Material
2012-04-07 Nikon D800 Compared to Nikon D3x
2012-04-06 More Nikon D800 Examples
2012-04-06 Nikon D800 Examples (Church Interior)
2012-04-06 Reader Comments on Nikon D800 Coverage
2012-04-05 D800 — First Examples
2012-04-05 D800 — In Hand
2012-04-05 D800 — More Examples Coming
2012-04-03 En route— 36-megapixel Nikon D800
2012-04-02 Nikon D800 / D800E Followup
2012-03-31 Nikon D800 / D800E Status and Info
2012-03-29 Nikon D800 Focusing Screens
2012-03-28 Nikon D800 — Could Have Its Own Issues
2012-03-18 Nikon D800 — Soon
2012-03-07 Diffraction, Sharpness and Nikon D800E
2012-02-26 Reader Asks: Compare Nikon D800 to Leica S2?
2012-02-18 Nikon’s “Technical Guide” for the D800
2012-02-17 Moiré With the Nikon D3x
2012-02-10 My Thoughts on D800/D800E Features
2012-02-10 Reader Comments: Why Both a D800 and D800E?
2012-02-08 Canon 1D X vs Nikon D4 vs Nikon D800
2012-02-07 36-Megapixel Nikon D800 and D800E
2012-02-07 Nikon D800 / D800E — Which Nikon Lenses?
2012-02-07 Nikon D800E — Nikon’s Sample Photos
2012-02-07 Nikon D800E: Moiré
2012-02-05 Nikon D4 — the Ultimate Low-Light camera?
2012-01-09 Nikon D4 Review Planned
2011-07-18 Zeiss ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 Distagon on Nikon D3x
2010-12-29 Reader comment on Nikon D90 Live View
2010-09-15 Nikon D7000
2010-07-14 Leica S2 37.5 megapixel DSLR compared to D3x
2010-05-28 Nikon D3s — in stock at Amazon
2010-05-23 Nikon D3s — effectively unavailable?
2010-05-23 Recommended eyepiece for Nikon DSLR
2010-04-28 Rebates and free shipping on Nikon DSLRs
2010-02-19 Nikon D3s showing up in channel
2010-01-27 Recommended eyepiece for Nikon DSLR
2009-12-29 Resolution contest: Nikon D3x vs Nikon D3s
2009-12-27 Nikon D3x vs Nikon D3s
2009-12-26 Nikon D3s: limits of resolution
2009-12-21 Nikon D3s at lower ISO values
2009-12-21 Nikon D3s long exposures at low ISO
2009-12-17 Nikon D3s low-light shooting
2009-12-13 Nikon D3s ISO 3200 examples posted — wow!
2009-12-12 Nikon D3s at ISO 1600, 3200 — wow!
2009-12-05 Nikon D3s low-light performance
2009-10-14 Nikon D3s — an improved Nikon D3
2009-08-18 Nikon D3x and Zeiss ZF 21/2.8 Distagon
2009-08-02 D3x replacement
2009-06-30 Nikon D3x repaired
2009-06-24 Camera settings for D3x/D3, 1D/1Ds Mark III
2009-06-11 D3x in for repair
2009-04-12 Nikon D3x happier
2009-02-26 Voigtlander 180/4 APO Lanthar on Nikon D3x
2009-02-16 180mm lenses on Nikon D3x
2009-02-13 Recommended 24mm lens for Nikon D3x
2009-02-06 Nikon PC-E lenses on D200, D300
2009-02-05 Nikon D3x in stock at B&H
2009-01-30 Nikon D3x and PC-E tilt/shift lenses
2009-01-30 Nikon PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED on Nikon D3x
2009-01-28 Price increase on Nikon D3x?
2009-01-20 Nikon D3 firmware
2009-01-15 Nikon D3x rating from DXo
2009-01-09 Nikon D3 vs Nikon D3x resolution
2009-01-04 Nikon D3x noise and color vs D3
2009-01-03 Nikon D3x subjects
2009-01-02 Nikon D3x at 97.5 megapixels
2009-01-01 Nikon D3x dynamic range and noise
2008-12-31 Nikon D3x in stock at Amazon
2008-12-30 At the Zoo with the 200 f/2 (and Nikon D3x)
2008-12-30 Zeiss ZF Lenses and Nikon D3x
2008-12-28 D3x diffraction study
2008-12-28 More D3x examples
2008-12-26 D3x vs D3 resolution compared
2008-12-25 Nikon D3x examples, noise
2008-12-24 Gut feeling on D3x
2008-12-22 Nikon D3x on the way
2008-12-02 Nikon D3x value
2008-11-12 Nikon D3x leaked
2008-10-19 Real-world Sharpness II: D3/1DsM3 updated
2008-10-15 Real-world Sharpness II: D3/1DsM3 updated
2008-09-25 Photokina 2008: Wither the Nikon D3x?
2008-08-24 Nikon Picture Control for D3/D700/D300
2008-08-14 Focusing screens for the Nikon D3
2008-07-27 D700/D3 mass vs shutter speed
2008-07-27 Nikon D700 NOW available
2008-07-09 Nikon D3 focusing mystery solved!
2008-07-01 Nikon D3 firmware update
2008-06-30 Nikon D700
2008-06-23 Nikon D3 white balance
2008-06-10 The missing D3 variants
2008-06-04 Nikon D3 — working in bad light
2008-05-25 HDR need not apply with Nikon D3
2008-05-12 Followup on Nikon D3 focusing
2008-05-05 Nikon D3 color rendition
2008-05-04 Nikon D3 has been repaired
2008-04-17 Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR on Nikon D3
2008-04-17 Nikon D3 off to Nikon service
2008-03-13 Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III vs Nikon D3
2008-02-24 Looking for a Nikon D3?
2008-02-17 Nikon D3 and backfocus
2008-01-01 Nikon D3 review—Bjørn Rørslett
2007-12-29 Nikon D3 high ISO comments
2007-12-26 Nikon D3 viewfinder weirdness—followup
2007-12-23 Nikon D3 viewfinder weirdness
2007-12-12 Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III vs Nikon D3
2007-12-12 Nikon D3 low light performance
2007-12-11 Nikon D3 noise behavior
2007-12-10 Nikon D3 virtual horizon feature
2007-12-09 Nikon D3 examples
2007-12-08 Nikon D3 image quality
2007-12-05 Followup on Nikon D3 aliasing
2007-12-05 Nikon D3 with 24-70 and 14-24 and more
2007-12-04 Nikon D3 —California Buckeye nuts
2007-12-03 Nikon D3 aliasing
2007-12-03 Nikon D3 thoughts
2007-12-02 Nikon D3 and 180/2.8 IF-ED
2007-12-02 Nikon D3 focus problems
2007-12-01 Nikon D3 looks good
2007-12-01 Nikon D3 metering
2007-12-01 Nikon D3 update
2007-12-01 Nikon D3 with 10.5mm f/2.8 DX Nikkor
2007-11-30 Nikon D3 now in hand
2007-11-29 Nikon D3 and Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III
2007-11-14 Nikon D200
2007-11-08 Nikon D3 comments
2007-09-26 Nikon D200 vs D2x followup
2007-09-26 Nikon D2x vs EOS price drop
2007-09-24 Nikon D200 vs D2x NOW FREE!
2007-09-06 Nikon D3, Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III reviews
2007-08-23 Nikon D200 battery drain
2007-08-23 Thoughts on the new Nikon D3
2007-02-08 Nikon’s response to 16GB card in D200
2006-12-29 Nikon D2x and backfocus
2006-11-24 Flaky Nikon D200 battery life
2006-09-06 Nikon D200 battery life problem
2006-07-08 Nikon D200 vs D2x comparative review
2006-07-07 Nikon D200 vs D2x comparative review
2006-07-06 Nikon D200 vs D2x comparative review
2006-06-09 Nikon D2X vs D200 comparative review
2006-05-14 Nikon D2x vs D200 review underway
2006-03-14 Whither the Nikon D200 comparative review?
2006-02-06 Nikon D200 and balance with pro zooms
2006-02-02 Nikon D200 back from repair
2006-01-10 Nikon D200 has arrived