Digital capture technology is discrete, and not the same as film..
Newest blog posts
2018-10-06 Nikon Z7: RAW vs JPEG
Making image captures look sharp..
Understanding lateral chromatic aberration (color fringing)..
Understanding Longitudinal (Axial) chromatic aberration (LOCA)..
Color space for digital images..
An introduction to digital workflow and best practices..
Working with Photoshop for raw conversion and more..
Things that can get in the way, or cause incorrect results.
Tips for processing high dynamic range images..
Maximizing image quality, dynamic range, minimizing digital noise.
- Bits, Signal and Noise
- RawDigger for Raw Data Analysis
- Understanding 'Push' and 'Pull'
- Introduction to 'Expose to the Right' / ETTR
- Considerations for ETTR in the Studio or In the Field
- Camera Histograms: Color Space, Contrast, White Balance
- Recommended Camera Settings for Camera Histogram
- Overview of Using Camera Histogram vs Incident Meter
- ETTR: Camera vs True Raw Data (Nikon D800E, Dolls)
- ETTR Example 2+ Stops Range (Dolls, Olympus E-M5)
- JPEG vs RAW Example (Dolls)
The best becomes better..
Oustanding image quality, but with some limitations..
- Image Quality with Long Exposures
- Image Quality with Underexposed Long Exposures
- Shootout: Nikon D850 vs Nikon D810, Early Night
- ISO Series: Creek to Pines to Mountain Peaks
- Noise and Dynamic Range Shootout at ISO 64, ISO Lo: D850 vs D810 (Sprinter Van)
- Dynamic Range: Lower Morgan Lake, Backlit Tree
- Noise: 30 Seconds, 3-stop Underexposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
- Noise: 15 Seconds, Near-Optimal Exposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
Improvements on the workhorse D800E..
- Adobe Camera Raw: Harsh Tonal Transitions with 'Camera Standard' Profile
- Nikon D810 Picture Controls: What is Affected, JPEG Examples
- Processing NEF: a Quick Look at Adobe Camera Raw vs Nikon NX-D
- Pushing Nikon D810 at ISO 64 up to 5.5 Stops
- D810 vs D800E: ISO 3200 Noise + White Balance + Sharpness (Decorated Bike)
- D810 vs D800E: Depth of Sharpness (Decorated Bike, ISO 100/64)
- Nikon D810 + Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 APO vs Pentax 645Z (Pine Creek Sunflowers)
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
Image quality best practices and how-to with the Nikon D800/D800E..
D800E supplement and comparisons with Nikon D800..
D800 with the RGB Bayer matrix removed for a true monochrome sensor..
Comparing the 2012/2013 high-res pro DSLRs..
High speed big brick shooter..
18 megapixel big black brick, Canon’s top of the line DSLR..
22 megapixel successor to the popular 5D Mark II..
50 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
- RAW vs mRAW and sRAW: Camera Cropping and Downsampling and File Size
- RAW vs mRAW: Sharpness, Tone, Color
- RAW vs sRAW: Sharpness, Tone, Color
- What 50 Megapixels of Sharpness Looks Like (Dolls)
- ISO Series from 50 to 12,800 in Color and Black and White (Cabin Interior)
- Canon 5DS R Real-World Noise: Moonstar Bristlecone
- Canon 5DS R Noise vs Canon 5D Mark III (Fruit)
- Canon 5DS R: Awful Color Rendition using Adobe Camera Raw (Fruit)
30 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
Nikon’s bread and butter telephoto zoom.
The 24.6 megapixel Sony A900 digital SLR is compared with Canon’ top-of-the-line 21.1MP EOS 1Ds Mark III. A field report including two comparisons with the Canon 1Ds Mark IIII, example images in color and black and white, and the Zeiss ZA 135mm f/1.8 Sonnar. Anti-Shake (SteadyShot) is assessed, as is noise behavior..
Includes: D3x resolution comparisons (res chart) with Nikon D3, Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, resolution comparison on outdoor shot with Nikon D3, large examples, large wildlife examples, Nikon 200mm f/2 VR on D3x, long exposure noise ISO series, D3x sensitivity on diffraction, D3x dynamic range at ISO 100 vs ISO 50, D3x vs D3 color and noise..
Noise performance of early 2009’ premier digital SLRs. ISOs from 50 through 25600, dark area noise, noise reduction effects, noise versus resolution. Can more smaller pixels beat fewer large ones?.
Nikon vs Canon: Noise and Sharpness.
In-depth review of the Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II including flare, distortion, field curvature, resolution charts, numerous field examples and comparison to the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G. The Canon EF 14/2.8L II is a superb lens, but with some peculiarities which may enhance or degrade its appeal for different uses. The review is as much a “user guide” as a review; even if you use this lens it’s well worth your time to read this review..
36-megapixel full-frame DSLR with SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode..
- Super Resolution Pixel Shift Mode
- Super Resolution Mode File Format
- Pentax K-1 Innovative Features
- ISO Series 100 to 205K, Jagged Bristlecone Stump
- SuperRes Mode: Motion in Landscape Scenes 'Wind in the Palms'
- SuperRes Motion Correction: With and Without (Watch Seconds Hand)
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode: Does Motion Correction Work?
- SuperRes Pixel Shift: Arcade Night View @ 30 Seconds, Motion Correction with Pentax Digital Camera Utility
- SuperRes Pixel Shift: Two Field Shots at Sunset (White Mountains)
- Night Exposures in SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode vs Std Res: Dolls
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode vs Std Res: Veiling Blue Haze (ACR bug)
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode vs Std Res: Color Inaccuracy, ACR Bug (Macbeth Color Checker)
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode vs Std Res: Color Inaccuracy, ACR Bug (Dolls)
24-megapixel APS-C DSLR with SuperResolution true-color..
APS-C wide angle lens equivalent to 22mm on full-frame..
Canon’s updated fast 35mm prime, evaluated on Canon 5DS R..
Tamron’s ultra wide to medium fast zoom..
State of the art design in a fast 24mm lens. Includes full-resolution images at f/1.4..
Canon’s first full-frame mirrorless..
Nikon’s first full-frame mirrorless..
Blackout-free 20 fps speed demon..
Attention to details: a big upgrade over the A7R..
- Sony A7R II RAW (ARW) Files: Format, 12 Bit Degradation
- ISO from 50 to 102400: Dolls (A7R II)
- Dynamic Range Assessment at ISO 50 (Garage)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction On/Off at ISO 50/100/200 (Garage)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction On/Off at ISO 100, with Push, Chroma Noise Reduction (Egg-Shaped Boulder)
- Examples: Detailed Look at Long Exposures (Hoover Wilderness)
- Posterization in Broad Daylight (Portrait at Dana Lake)
- Examples: Dana Lake, Dana Glacier Part 1, 'Approach' (Zeiss Batis)
Attention to details: a solid upgrade over the A7R II..
Full frame compact mirrorless with interchangeable lenses..
- Automatic Correction for Lateral Chromatic Aberration in Adobe Camera Raw
- Camera Profiles for Sony A7R / A7 in ACR / Lightroom
- Sony A7R File Sizes, Lossy Compression
- Sony A7R: Vignetting and Lens Comp
- Sony A7R Pixel Quality: Texturing Orange Peel Noise
- Sony A7R Pixel Quality: Orange Peel Noise (Yellow Blue Bike)
- Sony A7R: ISO Series (Real World, Creek)
How to configure the camera for serious shooting..
Compact moderate wide angle for Sony mirrorless..
Compact normal lens for full-frame Sony mirrorless..
Razor sharp medium telephoto with apodization filter..
Premiere mid-range zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Wide angle to telephoto zoom with optical stabilization..
Comapact mid-range zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Use Leica M lenses on a digital back designed for them..
The best compact big-sensor digital camera yet?.
Fixed 28mm lens with APS-C sensor free of anti-aliasing blur with wonderful color..
Razor sharp 28mm lens on APS-C sensor and outstanding usability and features..
Diminutive full-frame camera with 35mm f/2 fixed lens..
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and shoot tiny camera..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and wide range zoom..
Still photos and gorgeous 4K UltraHD video..
A high performance mid-range zoom..
Beautiful bokeh, long reach fast speed, compact lens..
A worthy upddate to the E-M5 with pro-grade build quality..
Superb ergonomic design in a compact camera..
Updated model with hi-res sensor shift mode..
Flagship model for 2017..
Can smaller sensor cameras compete with larger ones on any basis?.
Panasonic G-1 especially compared to the Olympus E-P1. Intriguing results with RAW vs in-camera JPEG. RAW file included for your own analysis..
General information about Fujfilm X..
Compact sibling of the Fujifilm X-Pro1.
Interchangeable lenses on a 16MP APS-C sensor.
- Introduction (READ FIRST!)
- Fractal-like Artifacts: Yosemite Pines — ACR vs Capture One Pro
- RAW Conversion Details (Adobe Camera RAW)
- Examples (Flowers and Food)
- RAW File vs JPEG Exposure (Flowers)
- Examples (Outdoors, Sea Otter MTB)
- Examples (Mosaic)
- Examples (Mosaic, ACR)
- Examples (Outdoors, Alpine)
- Aperture series ƒ/1.4 - ƒ/16, RAW vs JPEG
- Aperture series ƒ/1.4 - ƒ/16, RAW vs JPEG (SilkyPix)
- Aperture series ƒ/1.4 - ƒ/16, RAW vs JPEG (ACR)
- ISO series ISO 200 - 3200, JPEG vs RAW (ACR)
- RAW Conversion Details (SilkyPix)
- Conclusions (Before ACR)
Fujifilm's 24MP APS-C offering..
- Fujifilm XPro2 Raw File Format, Uncompressed and Compressed
- Usability: In-Camera RAW to JPEG Conversion
- Adobe Camera Raw Settings (Sunlight)
- White Balance Assessment in Sunlight
- Color Balance: Why are X-Pro2 Images Tinted Green?
- Image Quality: Grid Artifacts
- Image Quality: Fractal-like Artifacts (Clay Pot)
- Night Shooting, Long Exposure, Night High-ISO Examples
- ACR vs XPro2: 7 Color and 5 Monochrome Camera Profiles Compared (Ranch Gate at Sunset)
- Raw Conversion: XPro2 vs SilkyPix vs Adobe Camera Raw vs Iridient Developer (Oil Pump)
- XPro2 ACROS Film Simulations vs Photoshop Black and White Options (Barn and Fence)
- XPro2 Monochrome 'Grain Effect' vs Photoshop Grain (Oil Pump)
- JPEG vs RAW SHOOTOUT: Fine Wood Detail in Green Barn
- JPEG vs RAW SHOOTOUT: Portrait Among The Flowers
Wide angle zoom equivalent to 15-36mm.
Compact moderate wide angle..
A bright short telephoto lens..
Short telephoto macro lens..
24 or 16 megapixels in a compact body with APS-C sensor..
Value camera: 24 megapixel APS-C sensor with EVF and vibration-free shutter..
Outstanding ultra wide angle performer..
Manual focus moderate wide angle for full-frame mirrorless..
Zeiss autofocus lenses Sony full-frame mirrorless..
Autofocus extreme wide angle for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
Autofocus wide angle for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
- Examples: White Mountains (Sony A7R)
- Examples: Lundy Canyon, Hoover Wilderness, Dana Meadow (Sony A7R)
- Lens Rendering Series: Beaver Pond View Through Dual Aspen to Snow on High Peaks (Sony A7S II)
- Lens Rendering Series: Snowy Beaver Pond in Brilliant November Sunshine (Sony A7S II)
- Aperture Series: Blue Dusk Settles on Snowy Lundy Canyon (Sony A7S II)
Autofocus portrait lens for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
Ultra wide angle lens for Sony NEX or Fujifilm X..
Normal lens for Sony NEX or Fujifilm X..
Leica’s 28-70mm APS-C compact camera..
Leica’s large-sensor 'affordable' compact camera..
Foveon X3 true-color sensor for outstanding resolution..
Sigma’s raw file processing software, version 5.x..
Sigma’s raw file processing software, version 6.x..
Mirrorless Sigma Quattro sensor with interchangeable lenses..
Mirrorless Sigma Quattro larger APS-H sensor with interchangeable lenses..
21mm f/5.6 equivalent FOV lens..
45mm f/2.8 equivalent FOV lens..
28mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
75mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
Fujifilm skips full-frame to go from APS-C to to medium format..
Experience, reader insights, etc..
Tips on getting the best results..
Image quality assessments..
- ISO Series from ISO 100 to 12800 (Dolls)
- Real World Dynamic Range: Lundy Canyon Boulders and High Clouds
- Real World Dynamic Range: Grant Lake
- Real World Dynamic Range: Kitchen
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX 50s vs 35mm (late 2017 view)
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX vs Nikon D850 vs Sony A7R III: Sunrise, Lundy Canyon Waterfall
Ultra wide angle equivalent to 19mm f/3.3. .
Moderate wide angle equivalent to 37mm f/2.3..
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: Boulder Escapee from Rockfall
- Aperture Series: Pre Sunrise Sage and Aspen
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: West Walker Creek Meadow to Snowy Peaks
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: Indian Rock
- Aperture Series: Across Green Icy Lake to Blue Mountainside
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: Frozen Beaver Ponds to Forest
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: Lundy Lake, Green Ice at Dam End
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: Low and Close Viewpoint, Beaver Dam Pond
- Aperture Series: View Down Shadowed Lundy Lake, Late Afternoon
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: Aspen Against Mountain at Dusk
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: Light-Colored Boulder Amid Sage and Boulder Field
Ultra high speed telephoto equivalent to 90mm f/1.6..
High performance macro photography on medium format, equivalent to 99mm f/3.3..
Performance both in the field and controlled conditions..
Tips on Getting the Best Results..
- Adobe Camera Raw Conversion Settings, SpyderCHECKR: Overcast Rainy Day Lighting
- Adobe Camera Raw Conversion Settings, SpyderCHECKR: Mid-Morning Sunlight
- ISO 3200 Highlight Destruction in ACR vs Hasselblad Phocus and Iridient Developer (Dolls)
- Shooting at ISO 400/800/1600 vs ISO 100 Pushed (Dolls)
- Increase Image Quality by Optimal Exposure (ETTR, Dolls)
Telephoto macro lens, 99mm equivalent..
High end image quality, but what about lenses?.
Ultra wide angle lens for Pentax 645..
Moderate wide angle lens for Pentax 645..
Medium telephoto macro lens for Pentax 645 digital and film..
How does Hasselblad’s 3rd generation medium format entry measure up?.
Lens performance at 80 megapixels..
The Mamiya DL28 offers the Mamiya 645 AFD III, the new Sekor AF 80mm f/2.8D lens and the Leaf Aptus-II 6 digital back. Image quality is outstanding and the DL28 should definitely be considered by anyone looking into medium format..
How does Leica’s medium format entry measure up in ergonomics, image quality, etc?.
Examples and comparison from the various lenses.
Unique challenges of digital infrared..
What to do after you shoot..
Classic design in the latest Milvus build..
A brilliant, but also colorful character..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
- Rendering Style at f/2.8, f/4, f/8: Aspen Thicket
- Examples: Lundy Canyon, Early Winter
- Examples: Lundy Canyon, Brilliance at the Big Beaver Pond
- Studying f/2.8, f/5.6, f/9: Blue Dusk Settles On Lundy Beaver Pond
- Aperture Series: Pine Creek Stormy Light (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Wyman Cabin Trashed Interior (Canon 5DS R)
Ultra high performance with a fast aperture..
Strokes of a master..
Versatility in a “normal” lens and macro too!.
Fast high performance APO wide angle..
Rendering style, bokeh and beauty..
Rendering style, bokeh and 'transparency' without peer..
- Portraits (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Aspen Leaf on Black Rock (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Solo Aspen at Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Early Yellow Aspen (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Huge Silver Mining Gears at Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Pine Creek Riparian Tree Medley (Nikon D810)
Peering into shadows at night with the very best..
Beautiful bokeh, razor sharp, superb color correction..
Articles written for Lenspire.ZEISS.com..
Powering cameras and equipment..
Good stuff and not so good stuff..
A expansive and accurate visual experience for video or stills..
[ARCHIVE] Software and related for photographers..
High performance prime lenses for Sony NEX and Fujifilm X..
Zeiss ZF.2 and Zeiss ZE Lenses For Canon and Nikon.
Leica S2 37.5 megapixel DSLR and its lenses..
Infrared Cameras Compared: Fuji S3 Pro UVIR, Nikon D70-IR, Canon EOS 5D-IR ..
Leica M mount in slim body with SL-type sensor..
Overall design and behavior..
Field shooting the Leica MM, and comparisons..
24-megapixel interchangeable lenses, high-res EVF..
All-arounder zoom with dubious optical compromises..
Off-center color casts, off-center sharpness..
Focal lengths, color, weight and travel considerations. [relevant, but dated/old material].
Leica’s widest prime lens..
Leica’s best-performing 21mm..
Leica’s widest lens utilizing built-in frame lines..
Leica’s f/2 35mm for the M..
Leica’s compact low-distortion normal lens..
Fasted 35mm lens for Leica M, great ergonomics..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2018-10-06 Nikon Z7: RAW vs JPEG
2017-12-22 Sony A7R III: Compressed Raw Gapping
2017-12-07 Adobe Camera Raw Support for Sony A7R III
2017-09-08 Adobe Camera Raw Supports Nikon D850
2017-09-03 Nikon D850: RawDigger Support Available
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Evaluating Noise Properly
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: In-Camera Raw to JPEG
2017-08-25 Some Interesting Points About the Nikon D850
2017-05-19 FastRawViewer Updated to v4.2
2017-02-09 Reader Comment: ETTR (Expose to the Right)
2016-12-19 Sigma Releases Sigma Photo Pro 6.5.0
2016-12-17 RawDigger and FastRawViewer 25% Off
2016-12-15 Sigma sd Quattro H Due in Mid January
2016-09-16 Canon 5D Mark IV Here
2016-08-08 Sigma sd Quattro JPEG File Quality
2016-07-27 Zeiss ZM 35mm f/1.4 Distagon: Drawing Style
2016-05-07 Pentax K1 Thoughts
2016-04-21 FastRawViewer and RawDigger Discount
2016-02-18 Pentax K1 Super Resolution Pixel Shift Mode
2016-02-03 Sony A6300, and the Fujifilm X-Pro2
2016-02-01 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
2015-12-05 RawDigger and FastRawViewer 25% Off
2015-10-19 Sony A7R II: Uncompressed Raw
2015-08-21 Sony A7R II: General Commentary
2015-08-07 Sony A7R II: Raw Files Are Still 'Cooked'
2015-06-30 Viewing Tip: Google Chrome Blurs Images
2015-06-16 Sony Working on Uncompressed File Format?
2015-06-15 Reader Question: Which Raw Converter?
2015-05-16 FastRawViewer and RawDigger Discount
2015-04-22 Pentax K3 II: Out-Innovating Nikon and Canon
2015-03-27 Reader Comments: Sony File Format
2015-02-27 Sigma Photo Pro 6.2.1
2014-12-04 Sony 11+7 Bit File Format: Gapping
2014-07-21 Nikon D810: Adobe Camera Raw Support
2014-06-25 Nikon Announces D810
2013-07-17 Ricoh GR: Examples at the Beach
2013-05-02 Nikon D800E vs Canon 5D Mark III: Sharpness
2013-04-23 Fujifilm X100S: Digital Artifacts
2013-03-10 Playing with RAW
2013-02-26 Adobe Camera Raw 7.4 rc1 on Fuji X Files
2012-12-05 Fujifilm X-E1 File Size with ACR
2012-09-09 Sony RX100: DXO Optics Pro vs ACR
2012-08-29 Sony RX100: Examples and Sharpness
2012-05-31 Fuji X-Pro1: RAW vs JPEG with ACR 7.1
2012-05-30 Adobe Camera RAW 7.1 for Fuji X-Pro1
2012-05-24 Fujifilm M-Mount Adapter for X-Pro1
2012-04-23 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Examples (Alpine Creek)
2012-04-22 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Review
2012-04-18 Fuji X-Pro1: RAW Headroom vs JPEG
2012-04-17 Nikon D800: NEF Download Examples
2012-04-06 Reader Comments on Nikon D800 Coverage
2012-02-07 Nikon D800E — Nikon’s Sample Photos
2011-12-28 Sony NEX-7 — RAW Only 8 Bits?
2011-10-08 Reader Comments on X100 Review
2011-07-20 SanDisk Extreme Pro Card Failures
2009-07-01 Canon EOS JPEG quality
2008-12-26 The worst Nikon feature — software
2008-10-25 Photoshop CS4 and OpenGL — poor redraw speed
2008-10-18 RAW files in DAP articles
2008-08-16 Ken Rockwell’s site
2007-12-05 Followup on Nikon D3 aliasing
2007-08-16 More thoughts on 22-megapixel Mamiya ZD
2007-04-03 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L vs 16-35mm f/2.8L II
2006-11-20 A bad computer day
2006-05-21 Aperture’s “database”
2006-01-28 The PowerMac G5 Quad and power usage
2006-01-27 New front-page photo “Yosymmetry”
2006-01-24 Error Correcting Code memory