High-resolution L-mount full-frame from Panasonic..
Scroll down to see all publications and blog posts. Not all pages are curated—search.
Newest blog posts
Pages at other diglloyd sites:
See also 311 pages at macperformanceguide.com
See also 29 pages at windinmyface.com
2020-10-02 OWC Launches New Hub for Thunderbolt™ 4 PCs
Aspects of image quality..
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
Image quality best practices and how-to with the Nikon D800/D800E..
D800E supplement and comparisons with Nikon D800..
D800 with the RGB Bayer matrix removed for a true monochrome sensor..
22 megapixel successor to the popular 5D Mark II..
50 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
The 24.6 megapixel Sony A900 digital SLR is compared with Canon’ top-of-the-line 21.1MP EOS 1Ds Mark III. A field report including two comparisons with the Canon 1Ds Mark IIII, example images in color and black and white, and the Zeiss ZA 135mm f/1.8 Sonnar. Anti-Shake (SteadyShot) is assessed, as is noise behavior..
Ultra fast 200mm with gorgeous bokeh and high resolving power..
Noise performance of early 2009’ premier digital SLRs. ISOs from 50 through 25600, dark area noise, noise reduction effects, noise versus resolution. Can more smaller pixels beat fewer large ones?.
Ultra compact normal lens..
[Older material, but still relevant]. Shift lens performance of Nikon/Canon/Schneider/Olympus on various cameras..
Escape the banale postcard look by shooting landscapes at f/1.4 or f/0.95..
Approaches to making fresh new images..
36-megapixel full-frame DSLR with SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode..
Bread and butter zoom lens..
Wide angle to telephoto all purpose zoom..
The fastest extreme wide angle yet..
Fastest 135mm lens yet, with ultra high performance..
Nikon’s High performance normal lens.
A superlative multi-spectral lens with perfect color correction..
A fast moderate wide angle lens with some practical difficulties..
State of the art design in a fast 85mm lens..
Nikon’s best-ever f/1.4 lens?.
How a lens blurs when out of focus is a Big Deal..
Sharpness loss by camera or support or technique..
Digital capture technology is discrete, and not the same as film..
Color space for digital images. .
An introduction to digital workflow and best practices. .
Maximizing image quality, dynamic range, minimizing digital noise. .
Increasing Depth of Field by means other than stopping down..
Bypass the limits on depth of field and diffraction..
Examples of Focus Stacking..
- Example: Medium-Far Range (Two Bristlecone Logs on Hillside)
- Example: Stacking at 135mm (Unicorn and Cathedral Peaks)
- Example: Near Far at 28mm (Hardy Pine View of Unicorn and Cathedral Peaks)
- Example: Subject Movement (9050 Pine Creek Rd Waterfall)
- Example: Dual Not-Quite-Enough Examples (Bristlecones Near to Far)
Articles written for MediumFormat.com..
Mid range zoom 27-54mm equivalent for Phase One XF system.
100 megapixels in a body the size of a 35mm DSLR!.
100 megapixels in a portable package!.
Tips on getting the best results..
Image quality assessments..
Slightly wide compact normal lens equivalent to 41mm f/2.9..
50-Megapixel Medium Format DSLR with Live View.
High end image quality, but what about lenses?.
The Mamiya DL28 offers the Mamiya 645 AFD III, the new Sekor AF 80mm f/2.8D lens and the Leaf Aptus-II 6 digital back. Image quality is outstanding and the DL28 should definitely be considered by anyone looking into medium format..
Infrared camera choices with examples.
Unique challenges of digital infrared..
What to do after you shoot..
Classic design in the latest Milvus build..
Outstanding build and optical quality in a medium tele..
The classic 100/2 Makro-Planar improved..
Ultra high performance in an extreme wild wide angle lens..
A brilliant, but also colorful character..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
An artist’s drawing tool..
Versatility in a “normal” lens and macro too!.
Fast high performance APO wide angle..
Beautiful bokeh, razor sharp, superb color correction..
Tips for getting the most out of diglloyd publications..
Articles written for Lenspire.ZEISS.com..
- Depth of Field Challenges: Bypass the Limits with Focus Stacking, Near or Far, Macro or Landscape
- Harnessing Wide Angle Lenses: Perspective and Impact
- Macro and Close-up Shooting, Especially Outdoors
- Zoom Lens or Prime? 135mm
- Micro Contrast and the Zeiss 'Pop'
- Zeiss Milvus 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 Anchor a Gorgeous New Lens Line
- Zeiss Fills Out the Milvus DSLR Lens Lineup with the 21/2.8, 35/2, 50/2M, 100/2M
- Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 Distagon: Class-Leading Performance in a Compact Package for Stills or Video on Sony Mirrorless
- Zeiss Otus 28mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon: the Reference Standard With a Gentle Grace
Lighting for various situations..
Out of the way places and wonders..
The limits of resolution are governed by physics..
Focus accuracy and focus shift..
Bleeding edge with dual inputs has some issues..
A jaw-dropping visual experience for video or stills..
Selected computer hardware topics..
See the color that is really there!.
- Understanding Wide Gamut Displays
- Understanding Display Calibration: Real vs Faux Calibration
- NEC PA Series Overview (PA242W, PA272W, PA302W)
- Ergonomics of NEC PA Displays
- Display Size: 30 or 27 or 24 Inch?
- NEC Factory Calibration Certification
- Setting the Sleep/Wake Power Save Behavior
- NEC PA302W Wide Gamut Color Display
- Calibrating the NEC PA302W and other NEC Displays
- NEC PA271Q Wide Gamut Color Display
- NEC PA271W Wide Gamut Color Display
- NEC PA301W Wide Gamut Color Display
A expansive and accurate visual experience for video or stills..
Another jaw-dropping visual experience for video or stills..
[ARCHIVE] Viewing Images in a web browser..
[ARCHIVE] Software and related for photographers..
[ARCHIVE] Various considerations for buying a Mac Pro..
Photography Hints and Tips..
Accurate focus and ease for your eyes..
A reference lens for color correction..
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Fast ultra wide angle for Nikon Z..
Fast wide angle for Nikon Z..
Ultra wide compact zoom for Nikon Z cameras..
Menus, buttons, customization..
4th Generation standard-setting camera..
Attention to details: a solid upgrade over the A7R II..
Attention to details: a big upgrade over the A7R..
- Raw Conversion: White Balance, Tint, Sharpening (ACR in Photoshop CC)
- Examples: Detailed Look at Long Exposures (Hoover Wilderness)
- Posterization in Broad Daylight (Portrait at Dana Lake)
- Examples: Dana Lake, Dana Glacier Part 1, 'Approach' (Zeiss Batis)
- Examples: Dana Lake, Dana Glacier Part 2, 'Glacier' (Zeiss Batis)
- Examples: Night Shots, Artificial Lighting (Coastal 60/4 UV-VIS-IR APO)
Full frame compact mirrorless with interchangeable lenses..
Full frame compact 12-megapixel high-sensitivity sensor with 4K video..
Sensor stabilized 24MP full-frame..
How to configure the camera for serious shooting..
Fast and gorgeous moderate wide angle Zeiss design..
Fast high performance normal lens of Zeiss design..
Compact moderate wide angle for Sony mirrorless..
Compact normal lens for full-frame Sony mirrorless..
Top-grade medium telephoto..
Razor sharp medium telephoto with apodization filter..
Native-mount ultra wide angle high performance zoom for mirrorless..
Ultra high speed native-mount moderate wide angle..
Compact native-mount wide angle..
Anything wider would be a fisheye..
High-grade manual focus wide-normal lens..
Ultra high grade performer at a modest price..
Extreme wide angle zoom..
Pro-grade f/2.8 wide angle zoom..
Comapact ultra-wide zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless..
Premiere mid-range zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Wide angle to telephoto zoom with optical stabilization..
- Distortion Correction @ 24mm: Loss of Sharpness and Micro Contrast (Pixel Shift)
- Distortion Correction @ 105mm: Loss of Sharpness and Micro Contrast (Pixel Shift)
- Shootout @ 24mm: Sony 24-105/4G OSS vs Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 (Mosaic)
- Shootout @ 35mm: Sony 24-105/4G OSS vs Zeiss Loxia 35mm f/2 (Mosaic)
- Aperture Series @ 50mm: Mosaic
- Aperture Series @ 70mm: Mosaic
- Shootout @ 85mm: Sony 24-105/4G OSS vs Zeiss Loxia 85mm f/2.4 (Mosaic)
- Aperture Series @ 105mm: Mosaic
Premiere telephoto zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Compact long range telephoto zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Extreme wide angle macro lens for Sony mirrorless..
The best compact big-sensor digital camera yet?.
Razor sharp 28mm lens on APS-C sensor and outstanding usability and features..
Diminutive full-frame camera with 35mm f/2 fixed lens..
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and shoot tiny camera..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and wide range zoom..
Super telephoto with superb bokeh and color correction..
A worthy upddate to the E-M5 with pro-grade build quality..
Panasonic G-1 especially compared to the Olympus E-P1. Intriguing results with RAW vs in-camera JPEG. RAW file included for your own analysis..
Interchangeable lenses on a 16MP APS-C sensor.
Fujifilm's 24MP APS-C offering..
24 or 16 megapixels in a compact body with APS-C sensor..
- Examples (Portraits)
- Examples (Capturing the Moment Foggy)
- Examples (Russian Ridge Fog/Sunset)
- Examples (Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 Biogon)
- Examples (Zeiss ZM 35/2 Biogon)
- Lens Adapter Skew
- Noise at ISO 100 - Geese
- Noise at ISO 100 - Seagull
- Noise at ISO 200 - Portrait
- Noise at ISO 200 - Duck
- Noise Reduction by Downsampling
Outstanding ultra wide angle performer..
- Examples: White Mountains, Eastern Sierra (A7R II)
- Examples: White Mountains Before Snowstorm (A7R II)
- Examples: White Mountains, First Snowstorm (A7R II)
- Examples: Close Range Shooting (A7R II)
- Examples: Down Low and Near-Macro (A7R II)
- Examples: Environmental Portraits (A7R II)
- Shootout: Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 vs Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art: Twenty Lakes Basin, View Towards Mt Conness Drainage (Sony A7R IV)
Manual focus moderate wide angle for full-frame mirrorless..
- Field Examples: Yosemite Area (Sony A7R II)
- Field Examples: The Way Down Dana Glacier Canyon, Last Light (Sony A7R II)
- Examples: Eastern Sierra Nevada, White Mountains (Sony A7R)
- Shootout: Zeiss Loxia 35mm f/2 vs Sigma 35mm f/1.2 DG DN Art: Twenty Lakes Basin, View Towards Mt Conness Drainage (Sony A7R IV)
Manual focus normal lens for full-frame mirrorless..
Manual focus telephoto lens for full-frame mirrorless..
Zeiss autofocus lenses Sony full-frame mirrorless..
Autofocus extreme wide angle for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
Autofocus wide angle for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
- Portrait Examples (Sony A7R)
- Examples: Approaching Spring Snowstorm (Sony A7R)
- Examples: White Mountains (Sony A7R)
- Examples, Post-Snowstorm Climb Part 2: Ice and Snow with Sun and Clouds (Sony A7R II)
- Examples: Lundy Canyon, Before the Snow (Sony A7R II)
- Examples: Lundy Canyon, Hoover Wilderness, Dana Meadow (Sony A7R)
Autofocus portrait lens for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
Ultra wide angle lens for Sony NEX or Fujifilm X..
- Examples: Initial (Sony NEX-7)
- Examples: Portraiture (NYC Model, Sony NEX-7)
- Examples: New York City (High Line Area, Sony NEX-7)
- Examples: New York City (Union Square Walk, Sony NEX-7)
- Examples: New York City (Evening Architecture, Sony NEX-7)
- Examples: Alpine Creek (Sony NEX-7)
- Examples: Backyard Misc on Full Frame (Sony A7R, 4x3 Crop)
Normal lens for Sony NEX or Fujifilm X..
Moderate telephoto macro lens for Sony NEX or Fujifilm X. Useful on full frame too!.
Shooting + post processing tips with high-res examples..
Foveon X3 true-color sensor for outstanding resolution..
Sigma’s raw file processing software, version 5.x..
Sigma’s raw file processing software, version 6.x..
Mirrorless Sigma Quattro larger APS-H sensor with interchangeable lenses..
Leica M 40 Megapixels..
Leica M 40 megapixel monochrome sensor..
Overall design and behavior..
Ultimate resolution in black and white..
Leica’s best-performing 24mm, and with a flat field..
Leica’s superlative and most natural lens for the M..
World’s fastest 50mm full-frame lens..
Leica’s superlative normal lens..
High performance but flawed 50mm normal lens..
Superb all-around macro and general-purpose lens..
Compact wide angle with brilliant contrast..
Compact wide angle..
Fasted 35mm lens for Leica M, great ergonomics..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2019-11-23 Frame Averaging: Automated Script
2019-11-14 2019 Apple MacBook Pro with 16" Display
2019-08-06 Reader Comment: Sony’s Powerhouse Strategy
2019-03-21 The New 2019 iMac 5K for Photographers
2019-01-29 NEC PA271Q on the 2018 Mac mini
2018-12-05 Reader Question: Photo Blogging Web Service?
2018-09-27 Zeiss ZX1 Fixed-Lens Camera
2018-08-24 Comments on Nikon Z7 Features
2017-12-27 Reader Comment: Viewing Images on iMac 5K
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Video Features
2017-06-15 New Apple MacBook Pro, iMac 5K
2017-05-03 Reader Question: 30-bit Color
2017-04-21 Sony FE 100mm f/2.8 STF GM OSS — Portraits
2017-02-09 WPPI Deals at B&H Photo
2017-01-15 Eagles, 2004
2017-01-05 LG 5K Display for 2016 MacBook Pro
2016-12-30 Off Topic: the Year in Trout, 2016
2016-12-19 Sigma Releases Sigma Photo Pro 6.5.0
2016-09-29 Eastern Sierra Fall Color Update
2016-09-25 NEC EA244UHD Deal
2016-09-21 iOS 10 Supports Color Spaces
2016-09-14 Zeiss Milvus 100mm f/2M: Fun with Macro
2016-09-07 Dead and Dying
2016-08-29 Close Range with the Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8
2016-08-28 Zeiss Milvus 100mm f/2M: Streamside Macro
2016-08-25 Sony 50mm f/1.4 ZA: Gorgeous Rendering
2016-08-24 Season Changing Even as Flowers Bloom
2016-08-13 Thinking About What I Want in the Next Nikon
2016-07-26 My Workhorse Display, on Sale (NEC PA302W)
2016-06-01 Inexpensive 4K Displays
2016-04-25 Jury Duty
2016-03-23 Carrizo Plain Flower Status, 23 March 2016
2016-03-20 Carrizo Plain Flower Status
2016-03-09 Death Valley Flower Status
2016-02-13 Color Gamut: Green Shirt in Sunlight
2016-02-04 iMac 5K for Stunning Black and White Images
2016-02-03 Ming’s Queenstown Landscape Workshop
2015-12-17 Why I Use Three NEC Displays on Mac Pro
2015-12-05 RawDigger and FastRawViewer 25% Off
2015-11-30 Rokinon FE 12mm f/2.8 Fisheye on Sony A7R II
2015-11-07 Calibrating NEC Displays with SpectraView II
2015-11-02 Sunrise Brings an Alaskan Cold Front
2015-10-30 Yosemite Snowstorm: the Day After
2015-10-27 PA302W now only $1599
2015-10-05 The Perfect Storm, White Mountains, Day 2
2015-10-04 The Perfect Storm, White Mountains
2015-10-04 Steaming Trout in a Dutch Oven over Campfire
2015-09-13 A Visit to Zeiss, and back
2015-08-16 Smoke Plume over Mt Gibbs (Walker Fire)
2015-07-30 Leica Screen Protectors
2015-06-18 Dell UP2715K: 5K Display for Mac or PC
2015-05-17 $200 off the True 4K LG 31MU97
2015-03-01 The Camera for Cycling
2014-12-29 Reviewed: LG 31MU97 31-inch 4K Display
2014-11-30 Update on LG 31MU97 4K Display
2014-11-30 Cyber Monday Deals
2014-11-24 Cleaning a Computer Display
2014-11-20 LG 31MU97 4K Display (4096 X 2160), canceled
2014-11-03 Substantial NEC Rebates *end today*
2014-11-02 Photoshop and GPU: Blurry Image Scaling
2014-10-31 Last Light
2014-10-26 Pine Creek to Pine Lake
2014-10-22 Apple iMac 5K: Gamut and Display
2014-09-03 B&H Photo Promo Code Deals
2014-07-02 NEC EA244UHD 4K UltraHD Display
2014-06-25 Nikon Announces D810
2014-05-24 4K UltraHD Display: Dell UP2414Q
2014-01-07 Wide Gamut Displays and Calibration
2013-12-19 Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 Sonnar Arrived
2013-12-02 B&H Photo Cyber Monday Deals
2013-11-29 B&H Photo Black Friday Deals
2013-09-05 Sony RX1R: 12 Lens Rendering Aperture Series
2013-08-27 Sony RX1R Detail
2013-08-10 Nikon’s Camera Sales for Q1, 2013
2013-07-14 Leica M Typ 240 Usability
2013-05-21 Sony NEX-7: Unstable Controls
2013-04-02 Nikon D800 / D800E Firmware Update
2013-03-30 Spring Green with the Nikon D7100
2013-02-11 Leica M Typ 240 / M240 Image Quality
2013-02-04 Movies — Eastern Sierra Landscapes
2013-01-25 Metabones Speed Booster Initial Impressions
2012-10-26 DxO Optics Pro Support for Retina Display
2012-10-17 Best Looking Images on Any Screen
2012-09-17 24-Megapixel CMOS Leica M (Typ 240)
2012-09-14 Leica M Monochrom LCD Display Options
2012-09-14 Leica M Monochrom First Examples
2012-08-31 Retina-resolution Images Now Deployed Here
2012-08-12 Views from a Bike: Sony RX100
2012-07-01 Back from Yosemite
2012-05-14 Apple iDevices Destroy Image Quality
2012-04-10 Color Spaces and Color Gamut
2012-04-02 Fuji X100 as a Great Cycling Camera
2012-01-02 Sony NEX-7 Landscape Examples
2011-12-27 Sony NEX-7 First Look
2011-11-04 Zeiss 25mm f/2 — Extraordinary For Landscape
2011-07-22 Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8G Landscape Examples
2011-07-16 Wide Aperture Landscapes
2011-07-14 Sony NEX-5 With 16mm lens, Leica M
2011-02-28 New NEC PA301W 30" Wide Gamut Display
2010-12-31 Reader comment on NEC warranty service
2010-11-19 Persistence pays off
2010-10-07 Wide aperture landscapes
2010-06-26 Nikon 16mm f/2.8 fisheye for landscape
2010-06-25 Wide aperture with Canon 85mm f/1.2L II
2010-06-22 NEC 27" 2560 X 1440 wide gamut color display
2010-06-21 Wide aperture landscapes: lenses and filters
2010-02-27 Gone fishin’ (not this year)
2010-02-19 Test your color vision
2010-01-16 A good value display for your computer
2009-12-28 Color rendition in browsers
2009-11-03 You can’t see what’s not displayed
2009-10-20 Apple’s new quad-core iMac — analysis
2009-02-28 Tour de California and Lance Armstrong
2009-02-23 A tale of two gamuts
2009-02-17 NEC 30" LCD 3090WQXi color gamut
2009-01-31 Eizo displays and Photoshop CS4
2008-09-25 California Buckeye nuts
2008-07-10 Nikon 24/3.5 tilt/shift first impressions
2008-06-29 Sunflower beauty
2008-03-08 Death Valley
2008-02-17 Nikon D3 and backfocus
2008-01-23 Coastal Optics 60/4 APO macro in color
2008-01-20 Shape and color
2008-01-16 Coastal Optics 60mm f/4 UV/VIS/IR APO macro
2007-12-09 Nikon D3 examples
2007-12-05 Followup on Nikon D3 aliasing
2007-12-04 Nikon D3 —California Buckeye nuts
2007-12-04 Nikon Capture NX sharpening bug!
2007-12-02 Nikon D3 and 180/2.8 IF-ED
2007-11-06 Fuji F50 infrared
2007-08-18 Monitor calibration using EyeOne Display 2
2007-05-30 Random shots
2006-11-20 A bad computer day
2006-09-07 Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 problems followup
2006-09-06 Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 problems
High capacity, high-performance fault-tolerant storage for photography and video.
Non-RAID or RAID-0/1/4/5/10.
Capacities up to 64 Terabytes!