Evenness of illumination, color shading, digital sensor effects, ray angle..
Scroll down to see all publications and blog posts. Not all pages are curated—search.
Newest blog posts
2019-10-20 Reader Comments: Frame Averaging
2019-09-21 Summarizing Remote Release For Exposures
Pages at other diglloyd sites:
See also 2 pages at macperformanceguide.com
See also 3 pages at windinmyface.com
Color space for digital images. .
An introduction to digital workflow and best practices. .
Tips for processing high dynamic range images. .
Maximizing dynamic range and image quality by minimizing noise via multiple exposures..
- Introduction to Frame Averaging
- When to use Frame Averaging
- In-Camera Frame Averaging
- Frame Averaging: Quick Start How-To
- Frame Averaging Case Study: Pixel Shift for Frame Averaging
- Frame Averaging Case Study: Patriarch Grove Sunrise
- Frame Averaging Case Study: Granite Dome After Sunset
- Frame Averaging Case Study: Blending Frames
Maximizing image quality, dynamic range, minimizing digital noise. .
- What is the Correct Exposure?
- Bits, Signal and Noise
- RawDigger for Raw Data Analysis
- Exposure and Noise
- Understanding 'Push' and 'Pull'
- Introduction to 'Expose to the Right' / ETTR
- Considerations for ETTR in the Studio or In the Field
- Introduction to Camera Histograms
- Camera Histograms: Color Space, Contrast, White Balance
- Recommended Camera Settings for Camera Histogram
- Overview of Using Camera Histogram vs Incident Meter
- How JPEG Sharpness and Contrast Settings Affect Live View
- Use a 16-bit Wide-Gamut Color Space for RAW Conversion
- ETTR: Camera vs True Raw Data (Nikon D800E, Dolls)
- ETTR Example 2+ Stops Range (Dolls, Olympus E-M5)
- ETTR Example (Cabin)
- JPEG vs RAW Example (Dolls)
Using your camera’s mirror lockup, self timer, and Live View features..
- Self Timer and Mirror Delay
- Enabling and Testing for Electronic First Curtain Shutter (EFC Shutter)
- Alternatives to Live View
- Live View Settings With Canon DSLRs
- Step-by-step Live View for Canon
- Canon Silent Shoot Mode for Zero Vibration
- Using Live View With Nikon DSLRs
- Step-by-step Live View for Nikon
- Mirror Slap in Live View Mode on Nikon
- Seven Things Nikon Could Fix or Improve for Sharper Images
Stability of tripods and ballheads, controlling camera vibration, selecting equipment..
High-resolution L-mount full-frame from Panasonic..
Aspects of image quality..
Evaluating Multi-Shot High-Res Mode..
The best becomes better..
Oustanding image quality, but with some limitations..
- Image Quality with Long Exposures
- Image Quality with Underexposed Long Exposures
- Shootout: Nikon D850 vs Nikon D810, Early Night
- ISO Series: Creek to Pines to Mountain Peaks
- Noise and Dynamic Range Shootout at ISO 64, ISO Lo: D850 vs D810 (Sprinter Van)
- Dynamic Range: Lower Morgan Lake, Backlit Tree
- Noise: 30 Seconds, 3-stop Underexposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
- Noise: 15 Seconds, Near-Optimal Exposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
Improvements on the workhorse D800E..
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
Image quality best practices and how-to with the Nikon D800/D800E..
D850 with the RGB Bayer matrix removed for a true monochrome sensor..
Comparing the 2012/2013 high-res pro DSLRs..
High speed big brick shooter..
18 megapixel big black brick, Canon’s top of the line DSLR..
22 megapixel successor to the popular 5D Mark II..
50 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
Nikon D3s low-light versatile DSLR..
Includes: D3x resolution comparisons (res chart) with Nikon D3, Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, resolution comparison on outdoor shot with Nikon D3, large examples, large wildlife examples, Nikon 200mm f/2 VR on D3x, long exposure noise ISO series, D3x sensitivity on diffraction, D3x dynamic range at ISO 100 vs ISO 50, D3x vs D3 color and noise..
Long exposure noise performance with the Nikon D3x, D3 and Canon 5D Mark II at ISOs from 50 through 25600..
Noise performance of early 2009’ premier digital SLRs. ISOs from 50 through 25600, dark area noise, noise reduction effects, noise versus resolution. Can more smaller pixels beat fewer large ones?.
Canon 1D Mark IV 16-megapixel DSLR..
Nikon vs Canon: Noise and Sharpness.
Medium telephoto with world-class chromatic correction..
[Older material, but still relevant]. Shift lens performance of Nikon/Canon/Schneider/Olympus on various cameras..
Approaches to making fresh new images..
Verions 2 — 36-megapixel full-frame DSLR with SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode..
36-megapixel full-frame DSLR with SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode..
- Pentax K-1 Overview
- Super Resolution Pixel Shift Mode
- Super Resolution Mode File Format
- Pentax K-1 Innovative Features
- Shutter Shake Evaluated at 140mm, Siemens Target
- ISO Series 100 to 205K, Jagged Bristlecone Stump
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode Examples: Subject Motion
- SuperRes Mode: Motion in Landscape Scenes 'Wind in the Palms'
- SuperRes Motion Correction: With and Without (Watch Seconds Hand)
- SuperRes Pixel Shift: Arcade Night View @ 30 Seconds, Motion Correction Off
- SuperRes Pixel Shift: Arcade Night View @ 30 Seconds, Motion Correction with Pentax Digital Camera Utility
- Night Exposures in SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode
- Focus Stacking in SuperRes Mode (Ultegra Cassette)
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode vs Std Res: Dolls
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode vs Std Res: Color Inaccuracy, ACR Bug (Macbeth Color Checker)
- SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode vs Std Res: Color Inaccuracy, ACR Bug (Dolls)
Full frame ultra wide angle zoom..
Full frame medium telephoto..
24-megapixel APS-C DSLR with SuperResolution true-color..
23-megapixel APS-C DSLR with an unusual feature set..
Canon’s ultra-fast medium telephoto compared and in the field.
Canon’s updated fast 35mm prime, evaluated on Canon 5DS R..
Canon’s versatile super telephoto..
Sigma’s fast and affordable moderate excellent wide angle..
Extraordinary optical efforts for outstanding performance..
Sigma’s fast telephoto APO macro lenses..
Sigma’s fast an flexible moderate super telephoto..
The Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is a worthy contender in the crowded 50mm area. See how it performs compared to the Canon EF 50/1.4 and EF 50/1.2L..
Nikon’s sought-after high speed aspheric slightly long normal lens..
A superlative multi-spectral lens with perfect color correction..
Compact and lightweight travel-friendly telephoto..
Articles written for MediumFormat.com..
- Maximize Image Quality with Shot Discipline, Part 3: Eliminating Camera Vibration, Handheld Shooting (January 2019)
- Maximize Image Quality with Shot Discipline, Overview with Key Tips
- Maximize Image Quality with Shot Discipline, Part 4: Optimal Exposure (February 2019)
- 100 Megapixel Medium Format: Perspectives from Field Use of the Hasselblad H6D-100C (April 2019)
- Computational Photography Improves Digital Captures: Enhance Details in Adobe Camera Raw (June 2019)
Wide angle 24mm equivalent for Phase One XF system.
100 megapixels in a portable package!.
Sharp images at low shutter speeds..
Tips on getting the best results..
Image quality assessments..
- Astrophotography: 30 seconds at ISO 100 at f/2.8, 5 stop push
- ISO Series from ISO 100 to 12800 (Dolls)
- Real World Dynamic Range: Grant Lake
- Real World Dynamic Range: Kitchen
- Observations on Image Quality vs Hasselblad, Canon, Nikon
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX vs Nikon D850 vs Sony A7R III: Sunrise, Lundy Canyon Waterfall
Ultra high speed telephoto equivalent to 90mm f/1.6..
High performance moderate wide angle.
Mirrorless large format with leaf shutter lenses..
Performance both in the field and controlled conditions..
Tips on Getting the Best Results..
A price/performance breakthrough?.
High end image quality, but what about lenses?.
A variety of 645 lens tests on the 645D.
Ultra wide angle lens for Pentax 645..
Moderate wide angle lens for Pentax 645..
Medium telephoto macro lens for Pentax 645 digital and film..
Lens performance at 80 megapixels..
The Mamiya DL28 offers the Mamiya 645 AFD III, the new Sekor AF 80mm f/2.8D lens and the Leaf Aptus-II 6 digital back. Image quality is outstanding and the DL28 should definitely be considered by anyone looking into medium format..
How does Leica’s medium format entry measure up in ergonomics, image quality, etc?.
Examples and comparison from the various lenses.
Extreme wide angle with ultra high performance..
Visible spectrum, cameras, color space, infrared vs. color & examples..
All about shooting in infrared..
What to do after you shoot..
Milvus garb for the venerable 15/2.8 Distagon, with improved lens coating..
Ultra high performance in an extreme wild wide angle lens..
A brilliant, but also colorful character..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Ultra high performance with a fast aperture..
An artist’s drawing tool..
Ultra high performance apochromatic normal lens, first in the Otus line..
Rendering style, bokeh and beauty..
Rendering style, bokeh and 'transparency' without peer..
- Portraits (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Pine Creek Thunderstorms (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Aspen Leaf on Black Rock (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Solo Aspen at Dusk (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Fresh Cut Stick On Beaver Dam (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Rich Green Aspen with Dead Limbs (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: Green Bokeh Beauty (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series: DeChambeau Yellow Wagon (Nikon D810)
Peering into shadows at night with the very best..
King of bokeh! Corner-to-corner sharpness, world class..
Beautiful bokeh, razor sharp, superb color correction..
Rethinking camera design as solving real-world challenges..
Untapped potential for greatly improved image quality..
Untapped potential for greatly improved image quality..
Intuitive operation that mitigates errors..
Articles written for Lenspire.ZEISS.com..
Filter know-how and spectral transmission..
Flashlights, headlamps, LED lights..
[ARCHIVE, see Making Sharp Images]. Exploring depth of field..
Good stuff and not so good stuff..
[ARCHIVE] Software and related for photographers..
Beyond deep red, seeing the invisible..
Infrared Cameras Compared: Fuji S3 Pro UVIR, Nikon D70-IR, Canon EOS 5D-IR ..
All-arounder compact lens with macro capability..
High speed normal lens optimized for Canon mirrorless..
High speed portrait lens optimized for Canon mirrorless..
Bread and butter all-around zoom..
Bread and butter all-around zoom..
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
- White Balance and Tint in Adobe Camera Raw (Mid-Day Sunny, Mountains @ 6000 ft)
- RAW vs Camera JPEG
- ISO 64 to ISO 25600 (Juniper over Defunct Beaver Pond)
- Looking for Pattern Noise (Conness Drainage)
- Astrophotography vs Nikon D850 with/without Long Exposure Noise Reduction
- Astrophotography at ISO 180 Without Long Exposure Noise Reduction
- Long Exposure: ISO 400 at 30 Seconds vs ISO 64 at 272 Seconds
Moderate wide angle expressly designed for Nikon Z cameras..
Ultra wide compact zoom for Nikon Z cameras..
Fast mid-range zoom expressly designed for Nikon Z cameras..
4th Generation standard-setting camera..
Attention to details: a solid upgrade over the A7R II..
Attention to details: a big upgrade over the A7R..
- Sony A7R II RAW (ARW) Files: Format, 12 Bit Degradation
- Sony A7R II Tips for Longer Battery Life + Field Experience
- Important Settings for Sony A7R II
- Limitations of Sony A7R II Electronic First Curtain Shutter (EFC Shutter)
- Dynamic Range Assessment at ISO 50 (Garage)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction On/Off at ISO 50/100/200 (Garage)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction On/Off at ISO 100, with Push, Chroma Noise Reduction (Egg-Shaped Boulder)
- Examples: Detailed Look at Long Exposures (Hoover Wilderness)
- Posterization in Broad Daylight (Portrait at Dana Lake)
- Examples: Dana Lake, Dana Glacier Part 3, 'Return' (Zeiss Batis)
- Examples: Night Shots, Artificial Lighting (Coastal 60/4 UV-VIS-IR APO)
Full frame compact mirrorless with interchangeable lenses..
Vibration from the shutter highly damaging to image sharpness..
Blackout-free 20 fps speed demon..
Sensor stabilized 24MP full-frame..
Compact moderate wide angle for Sony mirrorless..
Anything wider would be a fisheye..
Ultra wide native mount manual focus lens for Sony mirrorless..
Fast high performance manual focus wide angle..
Fast lens speed for versatile rendering..
Ultra high grade performer at a modest price..
Ultra fast medium telephoto manual focus lens..
Premiere mid-range zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Manual focus apodized lens for ultra smooth focus..
The best compact big-sensor digital camera yet?.
Fixed 28mm lens with APS-C sensor free of anti-aliasing blur with wonderful color..
Razor sharp 28mm lens on APS-C sensor and outstanding usability and features..
Diminutive full-frame camera with 35mm f/2 fixed lens..
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and shoot tiny camera..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and wide range zoom..
Native Micro Four Thirds macro lens..
Beautiful bokeh, long reach fast speed, compact lens..
Super telephoto with superb bokeh and color correction..
A fast and lovely 'normal' lens (50mm equiv) for Micro 4/3..
Normal lens for Micro Four Thirds or Sony E Mount/NEX..
A worthy upddate to the E-M5 with pro-grade build quality..
Superb ergonomic design in a compact camera..
Updated model with HighRes sensor shift mode..
Can smaller sensor cameras compete with larger ones on any basis?.
Panasonic G-1 especially compared to the Olympus E-P1. Intriguing results with RAW vs in-camera JPEG. RAW file included for your own analysis..
Compact sibling of the Fujifilm X-Pro1.
Interchangeable lenses on a 16MP APS-C sensor.
Fujifilm's 24MP APS-C offering..
Apodization filter version of the 56/1.2..
24 or 16 megapixels in a compact body with APS-C sensor..
Value camera: 24 megapixel APS-C sensor with EVF and vibration-free shutter..
Outstanding wide angle, superb performer..
Manual focus normal lens for full-frame mirrorless..
Autofocus extreme wide angle for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
Autofocus wide angle for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
Autofocus portrait lens for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
Ultra wide angle lens for Sony NEX or Fujifilm X..
Normal lens for Sony NEX or Fujifilm X..
Leica’s 28-70mm APS-C compact camera..
Shooting + post processing tips with high-res examples..
Leica’s large-sensor 'affordable' compact camera..
Foveon X3 true-color sensor for outstanding resolution..
Mirrorless Sigma Quattro sensor with interchangeable lenses..
Mirrorless Sigma Quattro larger APS-H sensor with interchangeable lenses..
21mm f/5.6 equivalent FOV lens..
28mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
45mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
75mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
Leica M mount in slim body with SL-type sensor..
Specific issues affecting usability..
Overall design and behavior..
Relative sharpness and performance across cameras..
Ultimate resolution in black and white..
24-megapixel CMOS monochrome sensor..
Field shooting the Leica MM, and comparisons..
Modern digital features lacking with the M9..
Leica’s widest prime lens..
Leica’s best-performing 24mm, and with a flat field..
Leica’s fast 28mm..
Leica’s widest lens utilizing built-in frame lines..
Leica’s superlative and most natural lens for the M..
Six models to choose from..
World’s fastest 50mm full-frame lens..
Understanding the Rendering Style of the Noctilux..
The world’s best 50mm lens is outstanding, but with some limits..
General discussion of R lenses on M..
Fast and ultra high performance moderate wide angle rangefinder lens..
All around razor sharp performer..
Fasted 35mm lens for Leica M, great ergonomics..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2019-10-20 Reader Comments: Frame Averaging
2019-09-21 Summarizing Remote Release For Exposures
2018-09-26 Leica S3 Medium Format: an Updated Dinosaur
2018-07-15 Reader Comment: Automated Focus Stacking
2017-12-27 Reader Comment: Sony Flash System
2017-10-28 Sony Alpha A7R III: Pixel Shift Facts
2017-10-25 Sony Announces Sony Alpha A7R III
2017-10-23 Nikon D850: Underexposed Long Exposures
2017-10-13 Nikon D850: Challenging Exposures
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Metering and Autofocus
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Metering (I Want Auto-ETTR!)
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Evaluating Noise Properly
2017-02-09 Reader Comment: ETTR (Expose to the Right)
2017-02-07 Hasselblad X1D: Long Exposures
2016-08-13 Thinking About What I Want in the Next Nikon
2016-07-01 Hasselblad X1D-50C: Reader Comments
2016-02-19 Reader Comment: Sony A7R II in Extreme Cold
2016-02-18 Pentax K1 Super Resolution Pixel Shift Mode
2016-02-03 Sony A6300, and the Fujifilm X-Pro2
2016-02-01 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
2015-12-05 RawDigger and FastRawViewer 25% Off
2015-06-23 Canon 5DS R: Field Shooting
2015-04-22 Pentax K3 II: Out-Innovating Nikon and Canon
2015-02-09 Nikon D810a ('a' for Astrophotography)
2014-12-04 Sony 11+7 Bit File Format: Gapping
2014-08-12 Nikon D810: HDR in One Exposure?
2014-08-02 ISO 3200 on Nikon D810
2014-07-20 Pentax 645z: Long Exposures
2014-06-30 Leica M Typ 240 Firmware Update
2014-04-24 Leica T System: Quick Comments
2014-03-05 Sony A7 / A7R: Light leak
2014-01-31 Sigma DP Merrill: Readers Respond
2013-09-03 Sony RX1R: Long Exposure Limitations
2013-07-14 Leica M Typ 240 Usability
2013-06-17 Leica M Typ 240: Night-time Photography
2013-04-02 Nikon D800 / D800E Firmware Update
2013-02-11 Leica M Typ 240 / M240 Image Quality
2012-12-19 Sony RX1 ETTR Study (Dolls)
2012-11-19 ETTR and Digital Image Quality
2012-10-15 An Open Letter to Sigma on the DP1 Merrill
2012-10-09 Sigma DP1 Merrill —Long Exposures
2012-09-15 Leica M Monochrom Histogram Delay (Bug?)
2012-09-08 Workflow Series: Expose To The Right (ETTR)
2012-09-06 How to Do Faux HDR
2012-08-12 Canon 85mm f/1.2L II (on 5D Mark III)
2012-06-18 Nikon D800 / D800E Live View Tip
2012-04-22 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Review
2012-04-18 Reader Comments on D800, 5D Mark III
2012-04-18 Fuji X-Pro1: RAW Headroom vs JPEG
2012-04-10 Nikon D800 Long Exposure
2012-04-06 Reader Comments on Nikon D800 Coverage
2012-02-10 My Thoughts on D800/D800E Features
2009-12-21 Nikon D3s long exposures at low ISO
2009-05-21 Spyder Cube for white balance and exposure
2009-05-09 Spyder Cube for white balance and exposure
2009-02-15 Canon 5D Mark II Live View vignetting
2009-02-05 Flash exposure compensation with the SB-400
2008-08-12 Tip of the Day: Manual exposure
2008-03-16 High dynamic range with Photomatix
2008-02-20 Canon EOS auto-exposure “brain fart”
2007-11-06 Multiple exposures for low noise
2007-11-05 Noise-free photography from any camera?
2007-07-02 Cabin exposures
2006-08-09 The Fujifilm S3 Pro UVIR camera