Blur from optical behavior or subject-related issue..
Newest blog posts
2018-08-31 Zeiss Lenspire Articles—Read all 17
Sharpness loss by focusing or zone of sharp focus..
Focusing is more complicated than it first appears..
Focusing accuracy and errors..
Bypass the limits on depth of field and diffraction..
Elusive sharpness, depending on aperture.
Focus shift with a variety of lenses..
- Focus Shift: Nikon 14-24/2.8G and 24-70/2.8G
- Focus Shift with the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G (Early Tests)
- Focus Shift Over the Frame, Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G (Cabin)
- Mitigating Focus Shift In the Field, Nikon 14-24/2.8G (Cottonwood Canyon Cabin)
- Focus Shift with 28mm Lenses
- Examples of Focus Shift with 50mm Lenses
- Focus Shift: Canon 50mm f/1.2L (Dolls)
- Dual-Focus Focus Shift : Nikon 45mm f/2.8P (Dolls, Canon 5DM3)
The best becomes better..
Unprecedented support for focus stacking in full-frame DSLR..
Nikon’s finest 70-200 zoom as of 2017..
Which speed zoom for the Nikon D800/D800E?.
Ultra fast 200mm with gorgeous bokeh and high resolving power..
Ultra wide tilt/shift lens.
Medium telephoto tilt/shift macro focusing lens.
APS-C wide angle lens equivalent to 22mm on full-frame..
APS-C normal lens equivalent to 53mm on full-frame..
APS-C slightly tele normal lens equivalent to 60mm on full-frame..
APS-C moderate telephoto equivalent to 105mm on full-frame..
Canon’s tiny and lovely pancake lens..
Is Canon’s f/1.2 lens really better than an inexpensive f/1.4 or f/1.8?.
Canon’s image stabilized 35mm..
Tamron’s ultra wide to medium fast zoom..
Fast constant-aperture ultrawide zoom..
Superwide optimized zoom lens..
Mid-range optimized groundbreaking f/2 zoom..
A whopping 4/3 stop faster than other lenses in its range..
Sigma’s fast high performance wide angle..
Sigma’s fast high performance normal lens..
Extraordinary optical efforts for class-leading performance?.
Sigma’s fast telephoto APO macro lenses..
Ultra compact pancake lens with nice bokeh.
Nikon’s classic high speed normal lens.
Nikon’s latest 50mm lens compared with the Zeiss ZF 50/1.4, Nikon 50/1.4D and Sigma 50/1.4..
Nikon’s High Performance Moderately-Priced 50mm..
Nikon’s High performance normal lens.
- Close Range Comparison vs NOCT-Nikkor (D800E, Bathroom)
- Shootout: 58/1.4G vs 50/1.4G, 50/1.8G, 50/1.2 AIS (D800E, DeChambeau Sidelit Barn)
- Shootout: 58/1.4G vs 50/1.4G, 50/1.8G, 50/1.2 AIS (D800E, Beaver Dam)
- Matched Comparison vs 50/1.4G (D800E, Beaver Dam)
- Aperture Series: DeChambeau Ranch 'Garage at Dusk' (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Building at Night (D800E)
- Aperture Series: Church at Night (D800E)
- 58/1.4G vs NOCT-Nikkor vs Voigtlander 58/1.4 SL (D800E, Persimmon Tree)
- 58/1.4G vs NOCT-Nikkor vs Voigtlander 58/1.4 SL (D800E, Street at Night)
Nikon’s workhorse 200mm macro lens, and not just sharp at close-ups!.
Nikon’s fast ultra wide angle..
State of the art design in a fast 24mm lens. Includes full-resolution images at f/1.4..
An ultra-fast older design still offers appeal on modern digital..
A superlative multi-spectral lens with perfect color correction..
Extreme wide angle zoom..
Canon’s premium mid-range zooms..
A fast moderate wide angle lens with some practical difficulties..
State of the art design in a fast 35mm lens..
State of the art design in a fast 85mm lens..
Strong telephoto lens with special control over spherical aberration..
Relatively compact super-telephoto zoom..
Comparing Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR, 17-35mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 18-35mm, 24-70mm f/2.8 along with Nikon 20mm f/3.5, 24mm f/2, 28mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4 AIS, and more..
A review of Canon’s new 70-200mm zoom, along with comparisons to other models and the 200mm f/2L IS. Extensive comparisons at multiple focal lengths..
Nikon’s ultra wide angle zoom and the Nikon 14mm f/2.8, critical focus shift behavior..
- Compared: Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G vs Nikon 14mm f/2.8: Ancient Bristlecone
- Focus Shift with Nikon 14-24 Cuts Resolution In Half!!!
- Focus Shift, Dual Series: Lee Vining Canyon, Fresh Snow on Mountains
- Focus Shift: Nikon 14-24 vs 24-70 on Nikon D800E
- Focus Shift: Nikon 14-24 Across The Frame, Focus f/2.8 vs f/5.6 (Cabin)
Focus shift assesments of a wide variety of lenses of various brands. Shows a range of apertures for each lens and the mount of focus shift, discusses how to compensate for it..
Bread and butter all-around zoom..
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Moderate wide angle expressly designed for Nikon Z cameras..
- Aperture Series: Log Jam at Outlet of Bear Lake
- Aperture Series: Old Cabin at Middle Morgan Lake
- Focus Comparison: Refocusing for Each Aperture vs Focusing Wide Open (Stunted Aspen Amid Boulders)
- Aperture Series: Sage, Aspen, and Waterfall
- Aperture Series: Creekside Aspen
- Aperture Series: Twisted Aspen Trunks, Evaluating Focus Accuracy in Dim Light
- Conclusions and Final Thoughts
Mid-range zoom expressly designed for Nikon Z cameras..
Fast and gorgeous moderate wide angle Zeiss design..
Fast high performance normal lens of Zeiss design..
Compact normal lens for full-frame Sony mirrorless..
Top-grade medium telephoto..
Razor sharp medium telephoto with apodization filter..
Outstanding fast wide angle, DSLR optical design..
Anything wider would be a fisheye..
Fast lens speed for versatile rendering..
Speed to match the Leica Noctilux..
Comapact ultra-wide zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless..
- Focusing and Focus Shift Mitigations
- Aperture Series @ 17mm: Persimmon Wagon (Sony A7R)
- Aperture Series @ 21mm: Yellow and Blue Bike, Focus Shift (Sony A7R)
- Aperture Series @ 25mm: Yellow and Blue Bike Close, Focus Shift (Sony A7R)
- Aperture Series @ 35mm: Yellow and Blue Bike Close, Focus Shift (Sony A7R)
- Aperture Series @ 34mm: Persimmon Cluster Closeup (Sony A7R)
- Aperture Series @ 35mm: Pumpkin, Focus Shift (Sony A7R)
Wide mid-range zoom targeted at video shooters..
- Overview of Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4G OSS
- Focus Shift Aperture Series@ 28mm: Cat On Desk at Sunset (A7R II)
- Focus Shift Aperture Series@ 38mm: Picnic Table (A7R II)
- Focus Shift @ 31mm: Olympic Bar (A7R II)
- Focus Shift @ 50mm: Bicycle Drivetrain (A7R II)
- Focus Shift Aperture Series @ 83mm: Dolls (A7R II)
- Aperture Series @ 135mm: Dolls (A7R II)
Comapact mid-range zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Does pricey M glass deliver on mirrorless?.
A fast moderate wide angle..
Beautiful bokeh, long reach fast speed, compact lens..
A weak sibling covers the wide end.
Can smaller sensor cameras compete with larger ones on any basis?.
A compact fast pancake lens..
Fujifilm’s kit zoom for the X-E1.
Moderate wide angle for Sony NEX..
Use DSLR lenses at ~native focal length, and gain a stop of speed..
Outstanding ultra wide angle performer..
Outstanding wide angle, superb performer..
Manual focus moderate wide angle for full-frame mirrorless..
Normal lens for Sony NEX or Fujifilm X..
Experience, reader insights, etc..
Moderate wide angle equivalent to 37mm f/2.3..
- Focus Shift Evaluation
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: Boulder Escapee from Rockfall
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: West Walker Creek Meadow to Snowy Peaks
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: Iced-Over Beaver Pond
- Aperture Series: Across Green Icy Lake to Blue Mountainside
- Aperture Series with Focus Stack: Light-Colored Boulder Amid Sage and Boulder Field
Standard normal lens equivalent to 52mm f/2.3..
Ultra high speed telephoto equivalent to 90mm f/1.6..
High performance macro photography on medium format, equivalent to 99mm f/3.3..
Medium format telephoto lens, 74mm equivalent..
Moderate wide angle lens for Pentax 645..
Wide angle zoom for Pentax 645..
Medium telephoto macro lens for Pentax 645 digital and film..
Start here to best utilize this guide..
Ultra high performance in an extreme wild wide angle lens..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Strokes of a master..
Comparing the two 50mm options near and far, more comparisons coming..
Ultra high performance apochromatic normal lens, first in the Otus line..
Rendering style, bokeh and 'transparency' without peer..
Beautiful bokeh, razor sharp, superb color correction..
Articles written for Lenspire.ZEISS.com..
- Focusing Zeiss DSLR Lenses For Peak Performance, PART ONE: The Challenges
- Focusing Zeiss DSLR Lenses For Peak Performance PART TWO: Tips and Best Practices for Sharply Focused Images
- Zoom Lens or Prime? 15/18/21mm Lenses
- Zoom Lens or Prime? Moderate Wide Angles (25mm, 28mm, 35mm)
- Zoom Lens or Prime? 50mm and 55mm
Questions and answers on photography and computers and more..
A reference lens for color correction..
Leica M mount in slim body with SL-type sensor..
Relative sharpness and performance across cameras..
Relative sharpness and performance vs APS-C cameras..
24-megapixel interchangeable lenses, high-res EVF..
All-arounder zoom with dubious optical compromises..
- Focus Shift and Autofocus Evaluation at 49mm
- Focus Shift and Autofocus Evaluation at 90mm
- Aperture Series @ 58mm: Boulders Amid Rushing Water in Pescadero Creek
- Aperture Series @ 24mm: Pescadero Creek, Upstream View
- Aperture Series @ 44mm: Bristlecones on Hillside
- @35mm Shootout vs Zeiss ZM 35/1.4 Distagon: Fresh June Snowfall on White Mountains
24-megapixel fixed lens compact full-frame..
Leica’s fastest and widest lens..
Leica’s widest lens utilizing built-in frame lines..
Tweaked 2016 redesign..
Tweaked 2016 redesign of Leica’s petite performer..
Leica’s superlative and most natural lens for the M..
- Aperture Series: 35/1.4 — Glacial Erratics (M240)
- Assessing Field Curvature— Green Paint (M240)
- Compared: 35mm f/1.4 Summilux vs 35/2 Summicron vs Zeiss 35/2 Biogon (M9P, Cabin Sink)
- Compared: 35mm f/1.4 Summilux vs 35/2 Summicron vs Zeiss 35/2 Biogon (M9P, Cabin Exterior)
- 35/1.4 Summilux vs Zeiss 35/2 Biogon (M240, MTB)
Six models to choose from..
The world’s best 50mm lens is outstanding, but with some limits..
Leica’s compact low-distortion normal lens..
Leica’s medium tele for Leica M..
Compact lens for portraiture or similar..
Superb all-around macro and general-purpose lens..
World’s best mid-range telephoto lens..
Fast and ultra high performance moderate wide angle rangefinder lens..
- 6-way Shootout: ZM 35/1.4 vs 35/2 and 35/2.8, Leica 35/1.4 and 35/2, Voigtlander 35/1.2 (Wyman Cabin, M240)
- 6-way Shootout: ZM 35/1.4 vs 35/2 and 35/2.8, Leica 35/1.4 and 35/2, Voigtlander 35/1.2 (Aspen Trunk, M240)
- 6-way Shootout: ZM 35/1.4 vs 35/2 and 35/2.8, Leica 35/1.4 and 35/2, Voigtlander 35/1.2 (Pine Creek Morning, M240)
All around razor sharp performer..
Compact high performance medium telephoto..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2018-08-31 Zeiss Lenspire Articles—Read all 17
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Focus Stepping Feature
2016-05-29 REVIEWED: Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4G OSS
2014-10-16 Focus Shift Nikon 20/1.8G vs 14-24/2.8
2014-07-01 The Effect of Focus Shift on Image Sharpness
2012-07-30 Focus Shift — Why So Much Coverage?
2012-06-10 A Study of Focus Shift With Six 28mm Lenses
2012-06-08 Nikon AF-S 28mm f/1.8G Focus Shift
2009-04-30 Focus shift article
2008-11-11 Focus shift on a resolution chart
2008-11-10 A brief introduction to focus shift
2008-11-10 Focus shift in 85mm lenses
2008-11-10 Focus shift in fast 50mm lenses
2008-11-10 More focus shift: 35mm, 100mm, 135mm, more