Color space for digital images. .
Newest blog posts
Tips for processing high dynamic range images. .
Maximizing dynamic range and image quality by minimizing noise via multiple exposures..
Maximizing image quality, dynamic range, minimizing digital noise. .
- RawDigger for Raw Data Analysis
- Introduction to 'Expose to the Right' / ETTR
- Considerations for ETTR in the Studio or In the Field
- Introduction to Camera Histograms
- Camera Histograms: Color Space, Contrast, White Balance
- Recommended Camera Settings for Camera Histogram
- Overview of Using Camera Histogram vs Incident Meter
- How JPEG Sharpness and Contrast Settings Affect Live View
- Use a 16-bit Wide-Gamut Color Space for RAW Conversion
- ETTR: Camera vs True Raw Data (Nikon D800E, Dolls)
- ETTR Example (Cabin)
Oustanding image quality, but with some limitations..
- Image Quality with Long Exposures
- Image Quality with Underexposed Long Exposures
- ISO Series: Creek to Pines to Mountain Peaks
- Noise and Dynamic Range Shootout at ISO 64, ISO Lo: D850 vs D810 (Sprinter Van)
- Noise: 30 Seconds, 3-stop Underexposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
- Noise: 15 Seconds, Near-Optimal Exposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
Improvements on the workhorse D800E..
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
Image quality best practices and how-to with the Nikon D800/D800E..
D800 with the RGB Bayer matrix removed for a true monochrome sensor..
Comparing the 2012/2013 high-res pro DSLRs..
18 megapixel big black brick, Canon’s top of the line DSLR..
22 megapixel successor to the popular 5D Mark II..
50 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
Includes: D3x resolution comparisons (res chart) with Nikon D3, Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, resolution comparison on outdoor shot with Nikon D3, large examples, large wildlife examples, Nikon 200mm f/2 VR on D3x, long exposure noise ISO series, D3x sensitivity on diffraction, D3x dynamic range at ISO 100 vs ISO 50, D3x vs D3 color and noise..
Noise performance of early 2009’ premier digital SLRs. ISOs from 50 through 25600, dark area noise, noise reduction effects, noise versus resolution. Can more smaller pixels beat fewer large ones?.
Nikon vs Canon: Noise and Sharpness.
36-megapixel full-frame DSLR with SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode..
Articles written for MediumFormat.com..
Phase One XF System, Phase One IQ4, Schneider Kreuznach Lenses.
100 megapixels in a portable package!.
100 megapixels in a portable package!.
Aspects of image quality..
Tips on getting the best results..
Image quality assessments..
- ISO Series from ISO 100 to 12800 (Dolls)
- Real World Dynamic Range: Lundy Canyon Boulders and High Clouds
- Real World Dynamic Range: Grant Lake
- Real World Dynamic Range: Kitchen
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX 50s vs 35mm (late 2017 view)
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX vs Nikon D850 vs Sony A7R III: Sunrise, Lundy Canyon Waterfall
How does the very best perform in the field?.
Performance both in the field and controlled conditions..
Tips on Getting the Best Results..
Lens performance at 80 megapixels..
All about shooting in infrared..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Rendering style, bokeh and 'transparency' without peer..
Intuitive operation that mitigates errors..
Good stuff and not so good stuff..
Infrared Cameras Compared: Fuji S3 Pro UVIR, Nikon D70-IR, Canon EOS 5D-IR ..
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Attention to details: a solid upgrade over the A7R II..
Attention to details: a big upgrade over the A7R..
Full frame compact mirrorless with interchangeable lenses..
Blackout-free 20 fps speed demon..
How to configure the camera for serious shooting..
Compact moderate wide angle for Sony mirrorless..
Ultra high speed native-mount moderate wide angle..
Premiere mid-range zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Razor sharp 28mm lens on APS-C sensor and outstanding usability and features..
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and shoot tiny camera..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and wide range zoom..
A worthy upddate to the E-M5 with pro-grade build quality..
Value camera: 24 megapixel APS-C sensor with EVF and vibration-free shutter..
Foveon X3 true-color sensor for outstanding resolution..
Mirrorless Sigma Quattro larger APS-H sensor with interchangeable lenses..
Leica M mount in slim body with SL-type sensor..
Field shooting the Leica MM, and comparisons..
Modern digital features lacking with the M9..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2017-12-22 Sony A7R III: Compressed Raw Gapping
2017-09-03 Nikon D850: RawDigger Support Available
2017-07-03 4th (Leica M10 at Saddlebag Lake)
2017-02-09 Reader Comment: ETTR (Expose to the Right)
2016-12-17 RawDigger and FastRawViewer 25% Off
2016-04-21 FastRawViewer and RawDigger Discount
2015-12-05 RawDigger and FastRawViewer 25% Off
2015-08-21 Sony A7R II: General Commentary
2015-05-16 FastRawViewer and RawDigger Discount
2014-12-04 Sony 11+7 Bit File Format: Gapping
2014-08-02 ISO 3200 on Nikon D810
2013-02-11 Leica M Typ 240 / M240 Image Quality
2012-10-15 An Open Letter to Sigma on the DP1 Merrill
2012-09-15 Leica M Monochrom Histogram Delay (Bug?)
2012-06-18 Nikon D800 / D800E Live View Tip