Blur from optical behavior or subject-related issue..
Scroll down to see all publications and blog posts. Not all pages are curated—search.
Newest blog posts
Pages at other diglloyd sites:
See also 1 pages at macperformanceguide.com
See also 20 pages at windinmyface.com
Sharpness loss by camera or support or technique..
Understanding resolution and contrast graphs..
Research into sharpness of handheld images with and without image stabilization.
Stability of tripods and ballheads, controlling camera vibration, selecting equipment..
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
Nikon’s pro-body high speed low light wonder..
Nikon’s finest 70-200 zoom as of 2017..
- Overview of Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
- Aperture Series @ 70mm: Mosaic (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 70mm: Tailings Piles (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 75mm: American Hotel, Cerro Gordo (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 95mm: Tailings Piles (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 120mm: Yellow Bike at Night (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 130mm: Mosaic (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 135mm: 'The Claw' Fountain at Night (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 135mm: White Truck at Night (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 135mm: Rodin Burghers of Calais (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 150mm: Cala Lillies (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 160mm: Penetrating Power at Night, Tower (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 165mm: Bikes at Night (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 170mm: Mosaic (Nikon D810)
- Aperture Series @ 180mm: Rush Creek Waterfall (Nikon D810)
- Focus Shift @ 200mm at Close Range
- Nikon D810 Autofocus Compensation for Focus Shift
- vs Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art (White Flowers, Nikon D810)
- vs Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art (Cerro Gordo Bunkhouse, Nikon D810)
Which speed zoom for the Nikon D800/D800E?.
Nikon’s bread and butter telephoto zoom.
The 24.6 megapixel Sony A900 digital SLR is compared with Canon’ top-of-the-line 21.1MP EOS 1Ds Mark III. A field report including two comparisons with the Canon 1Ds Mark IIII, example images in color and black and white, and the Zeiss ZA 135mm f/1.8 Sonnar. Anti-Shake (SteadyShot) is assessed, as is noise behavior..
Ultra fast 200mm with gorgeous bokeh and high resolving power..
Evaluates performance of the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR on the Nikon D3. Comparison with the Nikon 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF..
24-megapixel APS-C DSLR with SuperResolution true-color..
Canon’s best-ever medium telephoto and with image stabilization..
Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS .
Canon’s versatile super telephoto..
Tamron’s ultra wide to medium fast zoom..
Extraordinary optical efforts for outstanding performance..
Fastest 135mm lens yet, with ultra high performance..
Sigma’s fast telephoto APO macro lenses..
Nikon’s latest wide range zoom with vibration reduction and fixed f/4 aperture..
Versatile image-stabilized mid-range zoom..
Versatile autofocus wide angle..
State of the art design in a fast 85mm lens..
Compact and lightweight travel-friendly telephoto..
Relatively compact super-telephoto zoom..
Comparing Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR, 17-35mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 18-35mm, 24-70mm f/2.8 along with Nikon 20mm f/3.5, 24mm f/2, 28mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4 AIS, and more..
- Overview of Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6 vs Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR
- Distortion of Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6 vs Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR
- Vignetting of Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6 vs Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR
- Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6 vs Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR— Crops at 18mm
- Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6 vs Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR— Crops at 21mm
- Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6 vs Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR— Crops at 24mm
- Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6 vs Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR— Crops at 28mm
- Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6 vs Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR— Crops at 35mm
- Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-5.6 vs Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR— Conclusions
A review of Canon’s 800m f/5.6L IS super telephoto, with high performance that demands technical mastery to use well..
Articles written for MediumFormat.com..
Sharp images at low shutter speeds..
Telephoto equivalent to 200mm lens. .
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
An artist’s drawing tool..
Balance and poise..
Fast high performance APO wide angle..
King of bokeh! Corner-to-corner sharpness, world class..
Beautiful bokeh, razor sharp, superb color correction..
What to look for in a binocular, plus reviews..
Blurry lenses right out of the box..
High performance prime lenses for Sony NEX and Fujifilm X..
Overview and assessments of Nikon lenses.
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Attention to details: a solid upgrade over the A7R II..
Attention to details: a big upgrade over the A7R..
- Button Customization for Sony A7R II and Siblings
- IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) Handheld at 280mm
- IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) Handheld at 25mm
- Examples: Dana Lake, Dana Glacier Part 1, 'Approach' (Zeiss Batis)
- Examples: Dana Lake, Dana Glacier Part 2, 'Glacier' (Zeiss Batis)
- Examples: Dana Lake, Dana Glacier Part 3, 'Return' (Zeiss Batis)
Blackout-free 20 fps speed demon..
Sensor stabilized 24MP full-frame..
Compact normal lens for full-frame Sony mirrorless..
Razor sharp medium telephoto with apodization filter..
Comapact ultra-wide zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless..
Wide angle to telephoto zoom with optical stabilization..
Wide mid-range zoom targeted at video shooters..
Comapact mid-range zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Premiere telephoto zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Compact long range telephoto zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Super telephoto with superb bokeh and color correction..
A macro lens with high performance..
Fast, bright and well corrected wide angle..
Mid range zoom..
Fast, bright and highly corrected medium telephoto..
Superb ergonomic design in a compact camera..
Panasonic G-1 especially compared to the Olympus E-P1. Intriguing results with RAW vs in-camera JPEG. RAW file included for your own analysis..
Autofocus extreme wide angle for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
All-around slightly wide angle/normal with close focus..
Autofocus portrait lens for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
World’s best mid-range telephoto lens..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2017-10-25 Sony Announces Sony Alpha A7R III
2016-10-19 Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
2016-06-01 Reviewed: Nikon AF-S 200mm f/2G ED VR II
2016-05-09 Nikon 200mm f/2 VR: Examples at the Zoo
2016-05-05 Shipping: Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-56 G OSS
2016-03-31 Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-56 G OSS
2016-02-03 Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS
2015-08-21 Sony A7R II, Sony Lenses: Reader Comments
2015-05-11 Nikon AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR
2015-04-22 Pentax K3 II: Out-Innovating Nikon and Canon
2015-04-01 Beware of Image Stabilization on a Tripod
2014-11-21 Sony Image Stabilization
2013-03-22 Nikon AF-S 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 ED VR
2013-02-06 Shoot It While You Can
2012-12-11 Nikon 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Distortion
2012-12-10 Nikon 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Testing Comments
2012-12-08 Nikon 70-200mm f/4G ED VR: More Examples
2012-12-07 Nikon 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Examples
2012-12-05 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/4G VR
2012-12-04 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/4G VR
2012-11-09 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
2012-10-15 An Open Letter to Sigma on the DP1 Merrill
2012-07-11 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Image 5-axis Stabilization
2012-02-14 Lens Performance: What Matters
2010-11-29 Reviewed: Nikon AF-S 24-120mm f/4G VR
2010-11-25 Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II sharpness
2010-11-13 Nikon 24-120mm f/4G VR comments
2010-11-07 Nikon 24-120mm f/4G VR comments
2010-05-01 Update: Nikon AF-S 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II
2010-04-29 Reviewed: Nikon AF-S 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II
2010-03-25 New Nikon 300mm f/2.8G VR II
2010-03-10 Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR comparison
2010-02-19 Order the Nikon AF-S 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
2010-02-09 Nikon’s new AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
2009-12-28 Nikon 70-200/2.8G VR II flare examples
2009-12-27 Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II — flare
2009-12-26 Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II good sample
2009-12-23 New sample of Nikon 70-200/2.8G VR II
2009-12-15 Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II review updated
2009-12-12 Nikon D3s at ISO 1600, 3200 — wow!
2009-12-10 Nikon 70-200/2.8G VR II bad sample
2009-12-07 Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II examples
2009-12-05 Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
2009-12-03 Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II in progress
2009-11-25 New Nikon 70-200 VR II coming
2009-10-25 Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 IF-ED
2009-08-02 New AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
2009-01-05 How to carry a Nikon 200mm f/2 VR
2008-10-15 Nikon 70-200 VR sharpness workaround
2008-09-03 Nikon 70-200VR Special Report
2008-08-24 Nikon 70-200 VR corner mush in the corners
2008-04-17 Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR on Nikon D3
2007-08-02 Apple TV and Motorola DVR power usage