Digital capture technology is discrete, and not the same as film..
Scroll down to see all publications and blog posts. Not all pages are curated—search.
Newest blog posts
2019-02-04 Brain-Saver: Sony Noise-Canceling Headphones
Pages at other diglloyd sites:
See also 16 pages at macperformanceguide.com
See also 4 pages at windinmyface.com
2018-04-29 Concussion: Family Time
2018-01-18 LaCie 2Big 20TB Thunderbolt 3 Storage Dock
Color space for digital images..
An introduction to digital workflow and best practices..
Working with Photoshop for raw conversion and more..
Tips for processing high dynamic range images..
Maximizing image quality, dynamic range, minimizing digital noise.
Oustanding image quality, but with some limitations..
- Examples of Image Quality in Challenging Lighting
- Image Quality with Long Exposures
- Image Quality with Underexposed Long Exposures
- Shootout: Nikon D850 vs Nikon D810, Early Night
- ISO Series: Creek to Pines to Mountain Peaks
- Noise and Dynamic Range Shootout at ISO 64, ISO Lo: D850 vs D810 (Sprinter Van)
- Dynamic Range: Lower Morgan Lake, Backlit Tree
- Noise: 30 Seconds, 3-stop Underexposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
- Noise: 15 Seconds, Near-Optimal Exposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
Improvements on the workhorse D800E..
- Pushing Nikon D810 at ISO 64 up to 5.5 Stops
- ISO Series 31, 64, 100, ..., 12800 (Otus Fruit)
- D810 Chroma Noise Reduction ISO 3200 to 12800 (Otus Fruit)
- Noise vs Degree of Enlargement (Fruit, D810 at Sony A7s Size)
- D810 vs D800E: ISO 3200 Noise + White Balance + Sharpness (Decorated Bike)
- Nikon D810 + Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 APO vs Pentax 645Z (Pine Creek Sunflowers)
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
Image quality best practices and how-to with the Nikon D800/D800E..
D800E supplement and comparisons with Nikon D800..
Comparing the 2012/2013 high-res pro DSLRs..
Nikon’s pro-body high speed low light wonder..
High speed big brick shooter..
18 megapixel big black brick, Canon’s top of the line DSLR..
22 megapixel successor to the popular 5D Mark II..
- Examples — Carrizo Plain
- Examples — Alpine Creek
- Noise at ISO 200 with 1.2-stop Push
- Noise at ISO 100 with 1-stop Push
- 5D Mark III vs 5D Mark II from ISO 50 to 25600 (Flowers)
- 5D Mark III vs 5D Mark II from ISO 50 to 25600 (Creek)
- 5D Mark III vs 5D Mark II from ISO 50 to 25600 (Pipe Organ)
- 5D Mark III vs 5D Mark II from ISO 50 to 25600 (Last Supper)
- Shadow Noise vs Nikon D800E
- ETTR and Noise
- Exposure Latitude: RAW vs JPEG
- D800E vs Canon 5DM3 Noise (Whites Outhouse)
50 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
- Overview of Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R
- What 50 Megapixels of Sharpness Looks Like (Dolls)
- Sharpness: 5DS R vs 5DS vs 5D Mark III vs Nikon D810 (Old Map)
- Noise at ISO 100, Native Resolution and at Canon 5DM3 Resolution (Dolls)
- ISO Series from 50 to 12,800 in Color and Black and White (Cabin Interior)
- Canon 5DS R Real-World Noise: Moonstar Bristlecone
- Chroma Noise Reduction in Adobe Camera Raw @ ISO 12800 (Fruit)
- Canon 5DS R Noise vs Canon 5D Mark III (Fruit)
- Monochrome Potential, thoughts vs Leica MM246 (Dolls)
Nikon D3s low-light versatile DSLR..
30 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
The 24.6 megapixel Sony A900 digital SLR is compared with Canon’ top-of-the-line 21.1MP EOS 1Ds Mark III. A field report including two comparisons with the Canon 1Ds Mark IIII, example images in color and black and white, and the Zeiss ZA 135mm f/1.8 Sonnar. Anti-Shake (SteadyShot) is assessed, as is noise behavior..
Includes: D3x resolution comparisons (res chart) with Nikon D3, Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, resolution comparison on outdoor shot with Nikon D3, large examples, large wildlife examples, Nikon 200mm f/2 VR on D3x, long exposure noise ISO series, D3x sensitivity on diffraction, D3x dynamic range at ISO 100 vs ISO 50, D3x vs D3 color and noise..
Long exposure noise performance with the Nikon D3x, D3 and Canon 5D Mark II at ISOs from 50 through 25600..
Noise performance of early 2009’ premier digital SLRs. ISOs from 50 through 25600, dark area noise, noise reduction effects, noise versus resolution. Can more smaller pixels beat fewer large ones?.
Canon 1D Mark IV 16-megapixel DSLR..
Nikon vs Canon: Noise and Sharpness.
Verions 2 — 36-megapixel full-frame DSLR with SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode..
36-megapixel full-frame DSLR with SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode..
Sigma’s fast high performance wide angle..
Sigma’s fast telephoto APO macro lenses..
Sigma’s fast an flexible moderate super telephoto..
Tips on getting the best results..
Image quality assessments..
- ISO Series from ISO 100 to 12800 (Dolls)
- Real World Dynamic Range: Grant Lake
- Real World Dynamic Range: Kitchen
- Observations on Image Quality vs Hasselblad, Canon, Nikon
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX 50s vs 35mm (late 2017 view)
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX vs Nikon D850 vs Sony A7R III: Sunrise, Lundy Canyon Waterfall
Ultra high speed telephoto equivalent to 90mm f/1.6..
High performance macro photography on medium format, equivalent to 99mm f/3.3..
High performance moderate wide angle.
Performance both in the field and controlled conditions..
Tips on Getting the Best Results..
A price/performance breakthrough?.
High end image quality, but what about lenses?.
A variety of 645 lens tests on the 645D.
The Mamiya DL28 offers the Mamiya 645 AFD III, the new Sekor AF 80mm f/2.8D lens and the Leaf Aptus-II 6 digital back. Image quality is outstanding and the DL28 should definitely be considered by anyone looking into medium format..
Infrared camera choices with examples.
Ultra high performance in an extreme wild wide angle lens..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Articles written for Lenspire.ZEISS.com..
Articles written for MediumFormat.com..
The limits of resolution are governed by physics..
Good stuff and not so good stuff..
- ISO 64 to ISO 25600 (Juniper over Defunct Beaver Pond)
- Looking for Pattern Noise (Conness Drainage)
- Astrophotography vs Nikon D850 with/without Long Exposure Noise Reduction
- Astrophotography at ISO 180 Without Long Exposure Noise Reduction
- Long Exposure: ISO 400 at 30 Seconds vs ISO 64 at 272 Seconds
Blackout-free 20 fps speed demon..
Attention to details: a big upgrade over the A7R..
- ISO from 50 to 102400: Dolls (A7R II)
- Dynamic Range Assessment at ISO 50 (Garage)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction On/Off at ISO 50/100/200 (Garage)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction On/Off at ISO 100, with Push, Chroma Noise Reduction (Egg-Shaped Boulder)
- Examples: Detailed Look at Long Exposures (Hoover Wilderness)
- Posterization in Broad Daylight (Portrait at Dana Lake)
Attention to details: a solid upgrade over the A7R II..
Full frame compact mirrorless with interchangeable lenses..
Full frame compact 12-megapixel high-sensitivity sensor with 4K video..
Compact moderate wide angle for Sony mirrorless..
The best compact big-sensor digital camera yet?.
Razor sharp 28mm lens on APS-C sensor and outstanding usability and features..
Diminutive full-frame camera with 35mm f/2 fixed lens..
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and shoot tiny camera..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and wide range zoom..
Beautiful bokeh, long reach fast speed, compact lens..
A macro lens with high performance..
A worthy upddate to the E-M5 with pro-grade build quality..
Superb ergonomic design in a compact camera..
Updated model with hi-res sensor shift mode..
Panasonic G-1 especially compared to the Olympus E-P1. Intriguing results with RAW vs in-camera JPEG. RAW file included for your own analysis..
Interchangeable lenses on a 16MP APS-C sensor.
Fujifilm's 24MP APS-C offering..
24 or 16 megapixels in a compact body with APS-C sensor..
- Examples (Portraits)
- Examples (Capturing the Moment)
- Examples (Russian Ridge Fog/Sunset)
- Examples (Zeiss ZM 35/2 Biogon)
- Noise at ISO 100 - Geese
- Noise at ISO 100 - Seagull
- Noise at ISO 100 - Downsampled to 12MP
- Noise at ISO 200 - Portrait
- Noise at ISO 200 - Duck
- Noise Reduction by Downsampling
Value camera: 24 megapixel APS-C sensor with EVF and vibration-free shutter..
Foveon X3 true-color sensor for outstanding resolution..
Mirrorless Sigma Quattro sensor with interchangeable lenses..
75mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
Leica M mount in slim body with SL-type sensor..
Overall design and behavior..
Field shooting the Leica MM, and comparisons..
24-megapixel interchangeable lenses, high-res EVF..
24-megapixel fixed lens compact full-frame..
Leica’s widest prime lens..
Leica’s widest lens utilizing built-in frame lines..
All around razor sharp performer..
Fasted 35mm lens for Leica M, great ergonomics..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2019-02-04 Brain-Saver: Sony Noise-Canceling Headphones
2017-12-16 Reader Comments: Sony A7R III
2017-10-28 Sony Alpha A7R III: Pixel Shift Facts
2017-10-12 Nikon D850: Something Special
2017-10-09 Nikon D850: ISO 31 vs ISO 64 and vs D810
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Evaluating Noise Properly
2016-02-18 Pentax K1 Super Resolution Pixel Shift Mode
2016-02-03 Sony A6300, and the Fujifilm X-Pro2
2015-08-21 Sony A7R II: Where is Pixel Shift?
2014-07-22 Reader Comments: D810 Review, Lenses, etc
2014-07-13 Sony A7s vs Sony A7R: ISO and Noise
2014-05-27 Sony A6000: Sensor Quality at ISO 100
2013-06-17 Leica M Typ 240: Night-time Photography
2013-05-02 Nikon D800E vs Canon 5D Mark III: Sharpness
2013-04-30 Comparing Noise Between Cameras
2013-03-13 Sigma DP Merrill: ISO 100 or 200?
2013-02-21 Nikon D7100 — No Anti-Aliasing Filter
2013-02-11 Leica M Typ 240 / M240 Image Quality
2012-07-25 Canon EOS 1D X: Pattern Noise
2012-07-23 Canon EOS 1D X Arrives Today
2012-04-24 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Noise Evaluation
2012-04-18 Reader Comments on D800, 5D Mark III
2012-04-03 En route— 36-megapixel Nikon D800
2012-04-01 What I Want in a 2012 Digital SLR
2012-03-27 Canon 5D Mark III Examples, Focusing, Noise
2011-12-28 Sony NEX-7 — RAW Only 8 Bits?
2009-12-13 Nikon D3s ISO 3200 examples posted — wow!
2009-01-23 Noise with Nikon and Canon
2009-01-14 Noise on 4 cameras
2009-01-07 Canon 5D Mark II first impressions
2009-01-04 Nikon D3x noise and color vs D3
2009-01-01 Nikon D3x dynamic range and noise
2008-12-25 Nikon D3x examples, noise
2008-08-01 Canon 1Ds Mark III — ISO 200
2008-06-14 Noise — Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III
2008-04-23 Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III — low light shooting
2007-12-29 Nikon D3 high ISO comments
2007-12-11 Nikon D3 noise behavior
2007-11-06 Multiple exposures for low noise
2007-11-05 Noise-free photography from any camera?
2007-06-05 Canon EOS 1D Mark III color and noise
2007-05-25 Canon 1D Mark III high ISO noise
2006-06-19 Fujifilm F30 point and shoot