Digital capture technology is discrete, and not the same as film..
Scroll down to see all publications and blog posts. Not all pages are curated—search.
Newest blog posts
2021-12-13 In Praise of Digital vs Film (UPDATED, v3)
2018-10-06 Nikon Z7: RAW vs JPEG
Most recent pages at other diglloyd sites:
See also 12 pages at macperformanceguide.com
2014-03-27 OWC 128GB Memory Kit: Photoshop CC Filters
2014-01-17 2013 Mac Pro: GPU and Sharpening
Making image captures look sharp..
Color space for digital images. .
- Discussion of Color Space in General Terms
- Why a Wide Gamut Color Space Matters
- How to Check for Color Space Clipping in Photoshop (Gamut Warning)
- Installing the DCI-P3 Color Space for Photoshop / Lightroom
- Color Gamut Example: Reds and Oranges in Fruit Platter
- Color Gamut Example: Green Shirt in Sunlight
- Color Gamut Example: Glacial Blue Lake
- Wide Gamut Colorspace Reduces Noise, Avoids Posterization
An introduction to digital workflow and best practices. .
Working with Photoshop for raw conversion and more. .
- Photoshop Color Settings
- Photoshop Adobe Camera RAW: Color Space
- Photoshop Adobe Camera RAW: Sharpening in Raw Conversion
- Photoshop Adobe Camera RAW: Chroma Noise Reduction
- How to Correct Color Fringing in Adobe Camera RAW
- How to Use Tonal Curves for Image Correction
- Localized Contrast Enhancement
- How to Downsample and Sharpen an Image
- Sharpening with Photoshop Smart Sharpen
Tips for processing high dynamic range images. .
Maximizing dynamic range and image quality by minimizing noise via multiple exposures..
Maximizing image quality, dynamic range, minimizing digital noise. .
Post-Processing software and Technique..
Getting peak performance from your lens.
Illuminating examples of lens behavior..
Aspects of image quality..
Evaluating Multi-Shot High-Res Mode..
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
Image quality best practices and how-to with the Nikon D800/D800E..
D800E supplement and comparisons with Nikon D800..
- D800 vs D800E Optical Low Pass Filter and Wave Plate
- D800 vs D800E Sharpness
- Examples — D800E — Initial Evaluation
- D800E vs D800 (Aerial, Fountain)
- D800E vs D800 RAW Sharpening Comparison (Aerial, Fountain)
- D800E vs D800 (Dolls)
- D800E vs D800 RAW Sharpening Comparison (Dolls)
- D800E vs D800 Sharpening Noise (Dolls)
D800 with the RGB Bayer matrix removed for a true monochrome sensor..
D850 with the RGB Bayer matrix removed for a true monochrome sensor..
Comparing the 2012/2013 high-res pro DSLRs..
18 megapixel big black brick, Canon’s top of the line DSLR..
22 megapixel successor to the popular 5D Mark II..
50 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
The 24.6 megapixel Sony A900 digital SLR is compared with Canon’ top-of-the-line 21.1MP EOS 1Ds Mark III. A field report including two comparisons with the Canon 1Ds Mark IIII, example images in color and black and white, and the Zeiss ZA 135mm f/1.8 Sonnar. Anti-Shake (SteadyShot) is assessed, as is noise behavior..
Includes: D3x resolution comparisons (res chart) with Nikon D3, Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, resolution comparison on outdoor shot with Nikon D3, large examples, large wildlife examples, Nikon 200mm f/2 VR on D3x, long exposure noise ISO series, D3x sensitivity on diffraction, D3x dynamic range at ISO 100 vs ISO 50, D3x vs D3 color and noise..
Noise performance of early 2009’ premier digital SLRs. ISOs from 50 through 25600, dark area noise, noise reduction effects, noise versus resolution. Can more smaller pixels beat fewer large ones?.
Nikon vs Canon: Noise and Sharpness.
Medium telephoto with world-class chromatic correction..
Telephoto with world-class chromatic correction..
Full frame ultra wide angle zoom..
Full frame medium telephoto..
Macro lens focusing to life size 1:1 in a normal lens..
Macro lens focusing to life size 1:1..
APS-C wide angle lens equivalent to 22mm on full-frame..
APS-C normal lens equivalent to 53mm on full-frame..
Canon’s ultra-fast medium telephoto compared and in the field.
Canon’s updated fast 35mm prime, evaluated on Canon 5DS R..
Superwide optimized zoom lens..
Mid-range optimized groundbreaking f/2 zoom..
Sigma’s best portrait lens..
Fastest 135mm lens yet, with ultra high performance..
Sigma’s fast telephoto APO macro lenses..
Nikon’s latest wide range zoom with vibration reduction and fixed f/4 aperture..
Nikon’s fast ultra wide angle..
State of the art design in a fast 24mm lens. Includes full-resolution images at f/1.4..
A superlative multi-spectral lens with perfect color correction..
Extreme wide angle zoom..
Canon’s premium mid-range zooms..
State of the art design in a fast 85mm lens..
Nikon’s best-ever f/1.4 lens?.
Comparing Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR, 17-35mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 18-35mm, 24-70mm f/2.8 along with Nikon 20mm f/3.5, 24mm f/2, 28mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4 AIS, and more..
Medium telephoto 100mm equivalent for Phase One XF system.
100 megapixels in a portable package!.
Is 100 better than 45/50/60 megapixels?.
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX100S vs Sony A1: Deck and Roof
- SHOOTOUT @ 43mm/35mm: Fujifilm GFX100S vs Sony A7R V Pixel Shift: Huge Laurel at Bend in Alpine Creek
- SHOOTOUT @ 63/50mm: Fujifilm GFX100S vs Sony A7R V Pixel Shift: Creek Bottom at Huge Laurel
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX100S vs Leica SL2 + Leica SL 50/2 APO: Deck and Roof
100 megapixels in a body the size of a 35mm DSLR!.
Tips on getting the best results..
Image quality assessments..
Ultra wide angle equivalent to 19mm f/3.3. .
Compact wide angle.
Slightly wide compact normal lens equivalent to 41mm f/2.9..
Standard normal lens equivalent to 52mm f/2.3..
Telephoto macro lens, 99mm equivalent..
High end image quality, but what about lenses?.
Moderate wide angle lens for Pentax 645..
Wide angle zoom for Pentax 645..
Medium telephoto macro lens for Pentax 645 digital and film..
Lens performance at 80 megapixels..
- Aperture Series: Water Worn Boulders (Schneider 50/2.8 Super Angulon PQS)
- Aperture Series: Creek Meanders Through Boulders (Schneider 50/2.8 Super Angulon PQS)
- Aperture Series: Up the Creek (Rolleiflex AFD 80mm f/2.8 Apogon PQS)
- Aperture Series: Glistening Rocks (Rollei APO-Symmar 90mm f/4 Makro PQS)
The Mamiya DL28 offers the Mamiya 645 AFD III, the new Sekor AF 80mm f/2.8D lens and the Leaf Aptus-II 6 digital back. Image quality is outstanding and the DL28 should definitely be considered by anyone looking into medium format..
Examples and comparison from the various lenses.
Extreme wide angle with ultra high performance..
The classic 100/2 Makro-Planar improved..
Ultra high performance in an extreme wild wide angle lens..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Ultra high performance with a fast aperture..
An artist’s drawing tool..
Versatility in a “normal” lens and macro too!.
Ultra high performance apochromatic normal lens, first in the Otus line..
Rendering style, bokeh and 'transparency' without peer..
King of bokeh! Corner-to-corner sharpness, world class..
Beautiful bokeh, razor sharp, superb color correction..
[ARCHIVE, see Making Sharp Images]. Exploring depth of field..
[ARCHIVE] Software and related for photographers..
Fast standard zoom lens..
Ultra wide compact zoom for Nikon Z cameras..
Mid-range zoom expressly designed for Nikon Z cameras..
Fast portrait telephoto for Nikon Z..
5th Generation standard-setting camera..
- Pixel Shift: Diffraction Effects, Pixel Shift vs Single Shot
- Pixel Shift: Capture and Workflow
- Pixel Shift Gotchas, but Foolproof Ways to Optimize
- Sony A7R V: Pixel Shift vs Single Shot (Huge Laurel at Bend in Alpine Creek)
- Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 GM Aperture Series @ 21mm: Huge Laurel at Bend in Alpine Creek (A7R V, Pixel Shift)
4th Generation standard-setting camera..
Attention to details: a solid upgrade over the A7R II..
Attention to details: a big upgrade over the A7R..
Full frame compact mirrorless with interchangeable lenses..
Top-grade medium telephoto..
Native-mount macro length designed by Zeiss..
Native-mount ultra wide angle high performance zoom for mirrorless..
Compact native-mount wide angle..
Ultra high performance medium telephoto..
Anything wider would be a fisheye..
Ultra high grade performer at a modest price..
Fast extreme wide angle zoom..
Premiere mid-range zoom for Sony full frame mirrorless.
Wide angle to telephoto zoom with optical stabilization..
Extreme wide angle with 'zero distortion'..
Use Leica M lenses on a digital back designed for them..
The best compact big-sensor digital camera yet?.
Fixed 28mm lens with APS-C sensor free of anti-aliasing blur with wonderful color..
Razor sharp 28mm lens on APS-C sensor and outstanding usability and features..
Diminutive full-frame camera with 35mm f/2 fixed lens..
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and shoot tiny camera..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and wide range zoom..
Beautiful bokeh, long reach fast speed, compact lens..
Super telephoto with superb bokeh and color correction..
A worthy upddate to the E-M5 with pro-grade build quality..
Superb ergonomic design in a compact camera..
Updated model with HighRes sensor shift mode..
Can smaller sensor cameras compete with larger ones on any basis?.
- Pancake Lens Shootout: Olympus E-M5 vs Canon 1D X (Dolls)
- Shootout: Sigma DP2 Merrill vs Sony RX100 (Dolls)
- Shootout: Sigma DP3 Merrill vs Leica X Vario: (Titanium Ride to the Green Machine)
- Shootout: Sigma DP3 Merrill vs Leica X Vario: (Green Machine Frontal)
- Ricoh GR vs Leica X Vario: (Brick Building)
Compact sibling of the Fujifilm X-Pro1.
Interchangeable lenses on a 16MP APS-C sensor.
Fujifilm's 24MP APS-C offering..
- Image Quality: Fractal-like Artifacts (Clay Pot)
- ACR vs XPro2: 7 Color and 5 Monochrome Camera Profiles Compared (Ranch Gate at Sunset)
- Raw Conversion: XPro2 vs SilkyPix vs Adobe Camera Raw vs Iridient Developer (Oil Pump)
- Range of Sharpening with a Variety of Subject Matter
- JPEG vs RAW SHOOTOUT: Fine Wood Detail in Green Barn
- JPEG vs RAW SHOOTOUT: Portrait Among The Flowers
Wide angle zoom equivalent to 15-36mm.
Fujifilm’s kit zoom for the X-E1.
Short telephoto macro lens..
Outstanding ultra wide angle performer..
Manual focus moderate wide angle for full-frame mirrorless..
Autofocus extreme wide angle for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
Ultra wide angle lens for Sony NEX or Fujifilm X..
Normal lens for Sony NEX or Fujifilm X..
Moderate telephoto macro lens for Sony NEX or Fujifilm X. Useful on full frame too!.
Leica’s 28-70mm APS-C compact camera..
Shooting + post processing tips with high-res examples..
Leica’s large-sensor 'affordable' compact camera..
Foveon X3 true-color sensor for outstanding resolution..
21mm f/5.6 equivalent FOV lens..
75mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
Relative sharpness and performance across cameras..
24-megapixel CMOS monochrome sensor..
24-megapixel fixed lens compact full-frame..
Leica’s widest prime lens..
High performance but flawed 50mm normal lens..
Leica’s compact low-distortion normal lens..
Diminutive telephoto and macro lens..
Compact lens for portraiture or similar..
Fast and ultra high performance moderate wide angle rangefinder lens..
Fast high performance wide angle..
World-class performer for Leica M..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2021-12-13 In Praise of Digital vs Film (UPDATED, v3)
2018-10-06 Nikon Z7: RAW vs JPEG
2015-08-07 Sony A7R II: Raw Files Are Still 'Cooked'
2014-01-12 Sharpening Sony A7R Raw Files
2013-05-02 Nikon D800E vs Canon 5D Mark III: Sharpness
2013-03-21 Nikon D7100 Initial Impressions
2012-08-04 Nikon D800E vs Nikon D800 — Which to Choose?
2012-07-22 A Few Thoughts on the Nikon D800E
2012-05-08 Reader Comment on Nikon D800: Aliasing
2012-05-02 Nikon D800E vs Nikon D800
2012-04-22 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Review
2012-04-19 Nikon D800E
2012-02-07 Nikon D800E — Nikon’s Sample Photos
2008-02-21 Nikon fixes Capture NX sharpening bug
2007-12-05 Nikon D3 with 24-70 and 14-24 and more
2007-12-04 Nikon D3 —California Buckeye nuts
2007-12-04 Nikon Capture NX sharpening bug!