Focusing is more complicated than it first appears..
Change in focal plane left to right (swing) or top/bottom (tilt), due to system “slop” from manufacturing tolerances, or with tilt-shift lenses or view cameras as a feature.
Scroll down to see all publications and blog posts. Not all pages are curated—search.
Newest blog posts
Focus shift with a variety of lenses..
Ultra wide angle premium zoom lens relying on distortion correction..
All-arounder zoom with dubious optical compromises..
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
Tamron’s ultra wide to medium fast zoom..
Fast constant-aperture ultrawide zoom..
Mid-range optimized groundbreaking f/2 zoom..
The fastest extreme wide angle yet..
Sigma’s fast high performance normal lens..
Extraordinary optical efforts for class-leading performance?.
Nikon’s High performance normal lens.
Versatile image-stabilized mid-range zoom..
State of the art design in a fast 35mm lens..
Relatively inexpensive alternative to the pro 35/1.4G..
State of the art design in a fast 85mm lens..
Nikon’s ultra wide angle zoom and the Nikon 14mm f/2.8, critical focus shift behavior..
Articles written for MediumFormat.com..
Mid range zoom 27-54mm equivalent for Phase One XF system.
Compact wide angle.
Standard normal lens equivalent to 66mm f/1.4..
Outstanding build and optical quality in a medium tele..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Ultra high performance with a fast aperture..
An artist’s drawing tool..
Strokes of a master..
Ultra high performance apochromatic normal lens, first in the Otus line..
King of bokeh! Corner-to-corner sharpness, world class..
Articles written for Lenspire.ZEISS.com..
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Fast ultra wide angle for Nikon Z..
Ultra wide compact zoom for Nikon Z cameras..
Mid-range zoom expressly designed for Nikon Z cameras..
Moderate wide angle expressly designed for Nikon Z cameras..
Ultra high performance extreme wide angle..
Native-mount ultra wide angle high performance zoom for mirrorless..
Ultra high performance medium telephoto..
High-grade manual focus wide-normal lens..
Fast extreme wide angle zoom..
- Shootout @ 12mm vs Sony 12-24/4G: Big Tree at Alpine Creek Bend
- Compared @ 14mm: Swing and Tilt, Optical Decentering —two Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 GM and Sigma FE 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art
- Aperture Series @ 17mm: Big Tree at Bend in Alpine Creek
- Shootout @ 18mm: Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 GM vs Zeiss Batis 18/2.8: First Ice on Beaver Pond, Lundy Canyon
- Shootout vs Sony FE 12-24mm f2/8 GM: Backyard
Extreme wide angle zoom..
Wide mid-range zoom targeted at video shooters..
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
Native Micro Four Thirds macro lens..
Superb ergonomic design in a compact camera..
- 12mm Comparison: Olympus SHG 7-14mm f/4 — Olympus 12mm f/2 — Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 and 12-35mm f/2.8 (Garage Bikes)
- 14mm Comparison: Olympus SHG 7-14mm f/4 — SHG 14-35mm f/2 — Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 and 7-14mm f/4 — 12-35mm f/2.8 (Garage Bikes)
- 20mm Comparison: Olympus SHG 14-35/2 — Panasonic 20/1.7 and 12-35/2.8 — Canon 40/2.8 STM (Garage Bikes)
- Effectiveness of Image Stabilization
Leica’s fastest and widest lens..
Leica’s best-performing 24mm, and with a flat field..
Six models to choose from..
Fast and ultra high performance moderate wide angle rangefinder lens..
Fast high performance wide angle..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
Eight-bay Thunderbolt 3 high-performance storage for photo and video.
Hard drives or SSDs.
Non-RAID or RAID-0/1/4/5/10.
Capacities up to 128 Terabytes!