Sharpness loss by camera or support or technique..
Scroll down to see all publications and blog posts. Not all pages are curated—search.
Newest blog posts
2019-02-02 Reader Comments on the Panasonic S1R System
Pages at other diglloyd sites:
See also 1 pages at windinmyface.com
2018-07-11 Block Magnets: Mounting Items, Holding Power
How to choose a camera, lenses, and the other stuff that’s worthwhile..
Focusing is more complicated than it first appears..
Using your camera’s mirror lockup, self timer, and Live View features..
- Mirror Lockup and Remote Release for Sharper Photos
- Self Timer and Mirror Delay
- Key Aspects of Tripod Stability
- Live View Overview
- Alternatives to Live View
- Using Mirror Lockup With Canon DSLRs
- Live View Settings With Canon DSLRs
- Step-by-step Live View for Canon
- Canon Silent Shoot Mode for Zero Vibration
- Mirror Lockup and Self Timer on Nikon
- Using Live View With Nikon DSLRs
- Step-by-step Live View for Nikon
- Mirror Slap in Live View Mode on Nikon
- Seven Things Nikon Could Fix or Improve for Sharper Images
How to verify a good sample and assess all aspects of lens performance..
Research into sharpness of handheld images with and without image stabilization.
Stability of tripods and ballheads, controlling camera vibration, selecting equipment..
- Overview of Tripod Stability
- Tripod vibration and resonance
- Mirror lockup vs Exposure Delay, focal length
- Shutter Speed and Critical Sharpness on a Tripod
- Sharpness on Light/Medium/Heavy Tripods
- Sharpness with Mirror Lockup, Exposure Delay, VR
- Shooting Technique: Steadying the Lens
- Tripod Performance for Burst Shooting
- Tripod Collars: Wimpy or Strong
- General Conclusions on Tripods/Shooting
Gigapixel images, automated..
Top-grade carbon fiber tripods for professionals..
Unprecedented support for focus stacking in full-frame DSLR..
Nikon’s bread and butter telephoto zoom.
The 24.6 megapixel Sony A900 digital SLR is compared with Canon’ top-of-the-line 21.1MP EOS 1Ds Mark III. A field report including two comparisons with the Canon 1Ds Mark IIII, example images in color and black and white, and the Zeiss ZA 135mm f/1.8 Sonnar. Anti-Shake (SteadyShot) is assessed, as is noise behavior..
Ultra fast 200mm with gorgeous bokeh and high resolving power..
Includes: D3x resolution comparisons (res chart) with Nikon D3, Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, resolution comparison on outdoor shot with Nikon D3, large examples, large wildlife examples, Nikon 200mm f/2 VR on D3x, long exposure noise ISO series, D3x sensitivity on diffraction, D3x dynamic range at ISO 100 vs ISO 50, D3x vs D3 color and noise..
Escape the banale postcard look by shooting landscapes at f/1.4 or f/0.95..
Approaches to making fresh new images..
Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS .
Canon’s versatile super telephoto..
Tamron’s ultra wide to medium fast zoom..
Extraordinary optical efforts for outstanding performance..
Sigma’s fast telephoto APO macro lenses..
Sigma’s fast an flexible moderate super telephoto..
Wide angle tilt/shift lens at 28mm..
Nikon’s workhorse 200mm macro lens, and not just sharp at close-ups!.
Compact and lightweight travel-friendly telephoto..
Relatively compact super-telephoto zoom..
Comparing Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR, 17-35mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 18-35mm, 24-70mm f/2.8 along with Nikon 20mm f/3.5, 24mm f/2, 28mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4 AIS, and more..
A review of Canon’s 800m f/5.6L IS super telephoto, with high performance that demands technical mastery to use well..
A review of Canon’s 200mm f/2L mini super telephoto. Not just for sports, it makes a great landscape lens..
A review of Canon’s new 70-200mm zoom, along with comparisons to other models and the 200mm f/2L IS. Extensive comparisons at multiple focal lengths..
A review of Canon’s new 100-400mm zoom.
Comparing the Canon 17-40mm f/4L and 16-35mm f/2.L II..
Articles written for MediumFormat.com..
Sharp images at low shutter speeds..
A price/performance breakthrough?.
50-Megapixel Medium Format DSLR with Live View.
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
King of bokeh! Corner-to-corner sharpness, world class..
Articles written for Lenspire.ZEISS.com..
- Focusing Zeiss DSLR Lenses For Peak Performance, PART ONE: The Challenges
- Focusing Zeiss DSLR Lenses For Peak Performance PART TWO: Tips and Best Practices for Sharply Focused Images
- Getting Started with Focus Stacking
- Macro and Close-up Shooting, Especially Outdoors
- Zoom Lens or Prime? 135mm
- Astrophotography Tips, Especially with Zeiss Otus 28mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon
Stuff I use..
Tripods and items for technical excellence..
- Recommended Tripods (overview)
- Recommended Small and Lightweight Tripod
- Recommended Medium Size Tripod
- Recommended Sturdy/Tall Tripod
- Arca Swiss Cube geared head
- Burzynski Ballhead
- Tripod Head for Super Telephoto Lenses — Wimberly WH-200
- Acratech GP-S and GP-SS Ballheads
- Camera Plates for Small Cameras
What to look for in a binocular, plus reviews..
Good stuff and not so good stuff..
Questions and answers on photography and computers and more..
Photography Hints and Tips..
Medium format Zeiss glass in Hartblei precision tilt/shift lens barrels!.
Overview and assessments of Nikon lenses.
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Attention to details: a solid upgrade over the A7R II..
Attention to details: a big upgrade over the A7R..
Full frame compact mirrorless with interchangeable lenses..
Vibration from the shutter highly damaging to image sharpness..
- Sony A7R Shutter Vibration
- Mitigating Sony A7R Shutter Vibration
- A7R Shutter Vibration, Reader Comments
- Sony A7R Shutter Vibration at 55mm (Dolls)
- Sony A7R Shutter Vibration at 50mm (Chart)
- Sony A7R Shutter Vibration at 90mm with Mass Mitigation (Chart)
- Sony A7R Shutter Vibration at 55mm (Wine Bottle Label)
- A7R Shutter Vibration at 135mm
- A7R Shutter Vibration at 180mm
- A7R Shutter Vibration at 280mm
Sensor stabilized 24MP full-frame..
Shutter vibration (or not)..
Fast and gorgeous moderate wide angle Zeiss design..
Compact normal lens for full-frame Sony mirrorless..
Wide mid-range zoom targeted at video shooters..
Eliminating the camera body barrier— any kind of lens with Live View EVF and LCD.
The best compact big-sensor digital camera yet?.
Fixed 28mm lens with APS-C sensor free of anti-aliasing blur with wonderful color..
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
Super telephoto with superb bokeh and color correction..
High performance super telephoto..
24 or 16 megapixels in a compact body with APS-C sensor..
Outstanding ultra wide angle performer..
Manual focus telephoto lens for full-frame mirrorless..
Autofocus portrait lens for Sony full-frame mirrorless..
Specific issues affecting usability..
A discontinued but excellent 24mm..
Leica’s ultra high grade and ultra fast modern short telephoto..
Leica’s compact 90mm for the M..
General discussion of R lenses on M..
Compact lens for portraiture or similar..
World’s best mid-range telephoto lens..
Compact and ultra high performance long telephoto..
ARCHIVAL MATERIAL. Eliminating the camera body barrier— any kind of lens with Live View EVF and LCD, and especially Leica M-mount.
HISTORICAL, please see Guide to Mirrorless..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2019-02-02 Reader Comments on the Panasonic S1R System
2018-07-10 Really Right Stuff “Shorty” Tripod
2018-05-25 Leica 75mm f/1.25 Noctilux-M ASPH
2018-05-20 Really Right Stuff Big Moving Sale
2017-12-23 Tripod Vibration and Resonance
2017-09-25 Nikon D850: Arriving Sept 26
2017-09-15 Really Right Stuff L-Bracket for Nikon D850
2017-06-20 Leica M10 Coming This Week
2016-12-15 Reader Comments: Stitching and Panoramas
2016-12-15 Diglloyd Deal Finder: New Search Feature
2016-11-20 Frosty Shooting
2016-01-08 Really Right Stuff TFA-01 Pocket Pod
2015-07-06 Sony A7R II with Zeiss Otus and other Lenses
2015-07-01 Nikon Announces 2 New Super Telephotos
2015-04-01 Beware of Image Stabilization on a Tripod
2015-02-22 It’s 2015: Where Does Leica M Stand?
2015-02-11 Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Hyper Zoom
2014-02-15 Readers Comment on the Sony A7 / A7R
2014-01-16 Update on Sony A7R Shutter Vibration
2013-10-09 Leica R to M Lens Adapter
2013-10-03 Canon 200-400mm
2013-04-19 A Camera Plate for the Leica M Typ 240
2013-04-09 Leica M Typ 240: Bottom Plate Design
2013-04-02 Nikon Coolpix A Initial Comments
2013-03-23 Reader Comment: Sigma DP3 Merrill
2013-03-22 Nikon AF-S 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 ED VR
2012-09-17 24-Megapixel CMOS Leica M (Typ 240)
2012-03-12 Gitzo Tripod Failure (Reader Report)
2012-02-06 Reader Comments — Acratech Ballheads
2012-02-01 Acratech GP-ss Ballhead Specs
2012-01-30 Reader Comment: Acratech GP Ballheads
2011-12-26 Tripod Choice for Leica M9
2011-03-01 Reader reports on Gitzo tripod failure
2010-05-23 Gitzo 1531 tripod — medium size all-arounder
2009-11-25 New Nikon 70-200 VR II coming
2009-04-03 Gitzo GT0530 carbon fiber tripod failure
2008-08-16 Ken Rockwell’s site
2007-08-02 Gitzo GT3540XLS carbon fiber tripod
2007-07-05 No tripod ≠ no pictures
2007-07-02 Really Right Stuff L-bracket update
2007-06-22 Really Right Stuff
2007-05-02 The costs of a DSLR
2007-04-22 Sachtler ENG 2 CF tripod
2007-04-22 Photographic daypack: the North Face “Recon”