Focusing is more complicated than it first appears..
Newest blog posts
Focus shift with a variety of lenses..
Ultra wide angle premium zoom lens relying on distortion correction..
All-arounder zoom with dubious optical compromises..
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
Is Canon’s f/1.2 lens really better than an inexpensive f/1.4 or f/1.8?.
Tamron’s ultra wide to medium fast zoom..
Fast constant-aperture ultrawide zoom..
Mid-range optimized groundbreaking f/2 zoom..
The fastest extreme wide angle yet..
Sigma’s fast high performance normal lens..
Extraordinary optical efforts for class-leading performance?.
Nikon’s High performance normal lens.
Versatile image-stabilized mid-range zoom..
State of the art design in a fast 35mm lens..
Relatively inexpensive alternative to the pro 35/1.4G..
State of the art design in a fast 85mm lens..
Nikon’s ultra wide angle zoom and the Nikon 14mm f/2.8, critical focus shift behavior..
Articles written for MediumFormat.com..
Mid range zoom 27-54mm equivalent for Phase One XF system.
Compact wide angle.
Standard normal lens equivalent to 66mm f/1.4..
Outstanding build and optical quality in a medium tele..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Ultra high performance with a fast aperture..
An artist’s drawing tool..
Strokes of a master..
Ultra high performance apochromatic normal lens, first in the Otus line..
King of bokeh! Corner-to-corner sharpness, world class..
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Setup, IBIS performance, focusing..
Fast ultra wide angle for Nikon Z..
Ultra wide compact zoom for Nikon Z cameras..
Mid-range zoom expressly designed for Nikon Z cameras..
Moderate wide angle expressly designed for Nikon Z cameras..
- Aperture Series: Log Jam at Outlet of Bear Lake
- Aperture Series: Old Cabin at Middle Morgan Lake
- Focus Comparison: Refocusing for Each Aperture vs Focusing Wide Open (Stunted Aspen Amid Boulders)
- Aperture Series: Sage, Aspen, and Waterfall
- Aperture Series: Creekside Aspen
- Aperture Series: Creek and Aspen and Essence of Eastern Sierra
Ultra high performance extreme wide angle..
Ultra high performance medium telephoto..
High-grade manual focus wide-normal lens..
Fast extreme wide angle zoom..
- Shootout @ 12mm vs Sony 12-24/4G: Big Tree at Alpine Creek Bend
- Aperture Series @ 13mm: House Under Construction
- Aperture Series @ 17mm: Big Tree at Bend in Alpine Creek
- Shootout @ 18mm: Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 GM vs Zeiss Batis 18/2.8: First Ice on Beaver Pond, Lundy Canyon
- Shootout @ 24mm: Sony FE 12-24mm f/2.8 GM vs Zeiss Loxia 25mm f/2.4 vs Sigma FE 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN Art: Brilliant Backlit Beaver Pond Meadow
- Shootout vs Sony FE 12-24mm f2/8 GM: Backyard
Extreme wide angle zoom..
Wide mid-range zoom targeted at video shooters..
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
Native Micro Four Thirds macro lens..
Superb ergonomic design in a compact camera..
- 12mm Comparison: Olympus SHG 7-14mm f/4 — Olympus 12mm f/2 — Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 and 12-35mm f/2.8 (Garage Bikes)
- 14mm Comparison: Olympus SHG 7-14mm f/4 — SHG 14-35mm f/2 — Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 and 7-14mm f/4 — 12-35mm f/2.8 (Garage Bikes)
- 20mm Comparison: Olympus SHG 14-35/2 — Panasonic 20/1.7 and 12-35/2.8 — Canon 40/2.8 STM (Garage Bikes)
- Effectiveness of Image Stabilization
Outstanding ultra wide angle performer..
Outstanding wide angle, superb performer..
Leica’s fastest and widest lens..
Leica’s best-performing 24mm, and with a flat field..
Leica’s superlative and most natural lens for the M..
Six models to choose from..
Compact lens for portraiture or similar..
Fast and ultra high performance moderate wide angle rangefinder lens..
Fast high performance wide angle..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
High capacity, high-performance fault-tolerant storage for photography and video.
Non-RAID or RAID-0/1/4/5/10.
Capacities up to 64 Terabytes!