In-depth review of the Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II including flare, distortion, field curvature, resolution charts, numerous field examples and comparison to the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G. The Canon EF 14/2.8L II is a superb lens, but with some peculiarities which may enhance or degrade its appeal for different uses. The review is as much a “user guide” as a review; even if you use this lens it’s well worth your time to read this review..
Newest blog posts
2019-09-15 FOR SALE: Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L USM
Ultra compact normal lens..
Canon’s compact high-performance 24mm prime..
Canon’s tiny and lovely pancake lens..
- Overview of Canon 40/2.8 STM
- Comparison: Canon 40/2.8 STM vs Voigtlander 40mm f/2 SL II
- Aperture Series: Aspen Trunks
- Aperture Series: Rancher’s Cabin
- Aperture Series: Ancient Bristlecone Pine (with Focus Shift Analysis)
- Dual Aperture Series - Choice of Focus: Tioga Pass
- 40mm: vs 24-70/2.8L II and 24-70/4L II (MTB, Canon 5DM3)
- Aperture Series: Industrial Feed Plant in Oakdale (5DS R)
- Aperture Series: Green Machine, Oblique View (5DS R)
Is Canon’s f/1.2 lens really better than an inexpensive f/1.4 or f/1.8?.
- Canon 50mm Lenses: Main Page
- Comparing 50/1.2L to 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 (5D Mark II, Mosaic)
- Focus Shift Comparison: Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 50/1.4, 50/1.8 II (5D Mark III, Dolls)
- Focus Shift: Canon 50mm f/1.2L (5D Mark III, Dolls)
- Canon 50mm Lenses: Field Illumination
- Bokeh With Canon 50/1.2L, Olympus 50/1.2, Canon 50/1.4 (5D Mark II)
- Aperture Series Canon 50/1.2L (5D Mark III, Wyman Cabin Table)
- Canon 50/1.2L vs 50/1.4 (5D Mark III, Wyman Cabin)
Canon’s best-ever medium telephoto and with image stabilization..
- Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM
- Examples: Saddlebag Lake Area
- Aperture Series: Selfies on Gnarled Stump-Log
- Aperture Series: Sunrise on Mt Conness
- Aperture Series: Mt Dana, Early Morning
- Aperture Series: Sunrise Advances Into a Mountain Meadow
- Aperture Series: Hanging Dead Brown Needles Pine Branch
- Aperture Series: Sprinter Van in Blue Shade Just After Sunrise
Canon’s ultra-fast medium telephoto compared and in the field.
- Canon 85mm Lenses: Main Page
- Comparison: Canon 85/1.2L II, 85/1.8, Nikon 85/1.4G
- Aperture Series: Canon 85mm f/1.2L II (Bristlecones)
- Aperture Series: Canon 85mm f/1.2L II (Bristlecone Stump)
- Aperture Series: Canon 85mm f/1.2L II (Backlit Scene)
- Aperture Series: Canon 85mm f/1.2L II (Near/Far)
- Aperture Series: Canon 85mm f/1.2L II (SUV Rocky Ground)
- Field Illumination: Canon 85/1.2L II, 85/1.8, Nikon 85/1.4G
- Aperture Series with Canon 85mm f/1.2L II (Pavers)
- Aperture Series with Canon 85mm f/1.2L II (Roof)
Do Canon’s 1.4X and 2X version III tele extenders offer image quality at reasonable apertures?.
Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS .
- Canon 100mm f/2.8L: Main Page
- Canon 100mm f/2.8L: Blur example
- Canon 100mm f/2.8L: Blur example 2
- Canon 100mm f/2.8L: Blur 3 vs Zeiss
- Canon 100mm f/2.8L: Example
- Canon 100mm f/2.8L: Examples
- Canon 100mm f/2.8L: IS Glitch
- Canon 100mm f/2.8L: Vignetting
- Canon 100mm f/2.8L: Infrared
- Canon 100mm f/2.8L: Conclusions
Canon’s updated fast 35mm prime, evaluated on Canon 5DS R..
- Overview of Canon 35mm f/1.4L II
- Performance on a Portrait at f/5.6
- Aperture Series: Lundy Canyon
- Aperture Series: Bonsai Juniper over Beaver Pond
- Aperture Series: Below the Icy Waterfall
- Aperture Series: Upper Reaches of Lundy Beaver Pond, early November
- Aperture Series: Icy Waterfall To High Peaks
- Aperture Series: Golden Glint on Blue Water
- Aperture Series: Streamside Tetrahedron Boulder Amid Brush
- Aperture Series: Wood at Base of Waterfall, Gold Glimmer
- Aperture Series: Welding Rig View to Tailings Piles
Canon’s image stabilized 35mm..
Canon’s versatile super telephoto..
Sigma’s fast high performance wide angle..
Sigma’s fast and affordable moderate excellent wide angle..
Sigma’s fast high performance normal lens..
State of the art design in a fast ultra wide angle lens..
- Overview: ergonomics and optical qualities
- Examples—field shots
- Examples—night shots
- Field curvature and Aberrations (Night-time)
- In-depth example: stopping down at night
- In-depth comparison to EF 16-35/2.8L II
- Distortion on architecture compared to 16-35/2.8L II
- Flare into the sun and night
- Canon 24/1.4L II vs 11-24/4L, 24/2.8 IS, and Sigma 24/1.4 Art (Canon 5DM3)
An ultra-fast older design still offers appeal on modern digital..
State of the art design in a never before seen fisheye zoom..
Extreme wide angle zoom..
- Introduction to Canon 11-24mm f/4L
- MTF for Canon 11-24mm f/4L
- Examples: Manzanar (5DM3)
- Examples: Mt Conness Watershed (5DS R)
- Examples: Beautiful Boulder at Four Focal Lengths (5DS R)
- Flare: Angle to Sun vs Bulbous Front Element (5DM3)
- Color Fringing, Uncorrected and Corrected, Optical Misalignment? (5DS R)
- Color Fringing in Blue Light: Remarkable Gains From Correction (5DS R)
- Aperture Series @ 11mm: Defunct Mining Hotel Bar (5DM3)
- Aperture Series @ 15mm: Boulders near Mt. Williamson (5DM3)
- Aperture Series @ 11mm: Pescadero Creek Downstream (Canon 5DM3)
- Aperture Series @ 13mm: Pescadero Creek Upstream (Canon 5DM3)
- Aperture Series @ 16mm: Pescadero Creek Downstream (Canon 5DM3)
- Aperture Series @ 24mm: Pescadero Creek Pool (Canon 5DM3)
- Canon 11-24/4L vs 24/1.4L II, 24/2.8 IS, and Sigma 24/1.4 Art (Canon 5D Mark II)
Is the 3rd time the charm?.
Canon’s compact image stabilized wide angle zoom..
Canon’s premium mid-range zooms..
- Overview of Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II
- Overview of Canon 24-70mm f/4L IS
- Technical specs: 24-70/2.8L II vs 24-70/4L IS
- Aperture Series: 24-70/2.8L II vs 50/1.2L, 50/1.4, 50/1.8 II (Dolls)
- Aperture Series: 24-70/2.8L II vs 35/1.4L (Dolls)
- Aperture Series: Close Range at 70mm (Dolls)
- Examples: Russian Ridge
- Color fringing at 70mm (Close Range, Dolls)
- Bokeh at 70mm (Close Range, Dolls)
- Bokeh (Outdoors, Alpine Creek)
- Aperture Series: Alpine Creek Redwoods (Focus Shift Study @ 45mm)
- Aperture Series: Barcroft Gate Outhouse (@ 70mm)
- Compared vs 35/2 IS, 35mm f/1.4L(MTB, Canon 5DM3)
- 24mm: 24-70/2.8L II vs 24-70/4L II (Garden Pots, Canon 5DM3)
- vs Canon 24/2.8 IS (Green Machine, Canon 5DM3)
- 40mm: 24-70/2.8L II vs 24-70/4L II vs 40/2.8 STM (MTB, Canon 5DM3)
A review of Canon’s 800m f/5.6L IS super telephoto, with high performance that demands technical mastery to use well..
Coveted super speed telephoto..
A review of Canon’s 200mm f/2L mini super telephoto. Not just for sports, it makes a great landscape lens..
A review of Canon’s new 70-200mm zoom, along with comparisons to other models and the 200mm f/2L IS. Extensive comparisons at multiple focal lengths..
- Main Page
- Real vs Actual Focal Length — Breathing
- Loss of Quality Stopping down to f/5.6 - f/11
- Notes on the Mosaic Crops
- 200mm: Compared To original 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
- 70mm: vs 70-200/4L IS
- 85mm: vs 70-200/4L IS, 85mm /1.2L II, 85mm f/1.8
- 135mm: vs 70-200/4L IS, 135mm f/2L
- 200mm: vs 70-200/4L IS, 200mm f/2L, 135/2L + 1.4X
- Sample #6 @ 200mm
- Sample #6 @ 142mm
- Sample #6 @ 200mm + Canon 1.4X Extender (280mm)
- List of 70-200 Lenses and Where to Buy
A review of Canon’s new 100-400mm zoom.
Comparing the 16-35mm f/2.8L II to most of Canon’s wide angle prime lenses. Optical performance, ergonomics, focus, build quality..
- Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM
- 20mm Comparison: White Mountains
- Canon EF 24mm f/2.8
- 24mm Comparison: Yosemite
- 24mm Comparison: Mosaic
- Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
- Canon EF 28mm f/2.8
- 28mm Comparison: White Mountains
- 28mm Comparison: Mosaic
- Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L
- Canon EF 35mm f/2
- 35mm Comparison: White Mountains
- 35mm Comparison: Mosaic
Comparing the Canon 17-40mm f/4L and 16-35mm f/2.L II..
- Main Page
- Vignetting at 17mm
- Distortion at 17mm
- Comparison at 17mm with Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L
- Vignetting at 21mm
- Distortion at 21mm
- Comparison at 21mm with Zeiss ZE 21mm Distagon
- Vignetting at 24mm
- Distortion at 24mm
- Comparison at 24mm with Canon 24mm f/1.4L II
- Vignetting at 35mm
- Distortion at 35mm
- Comparison at 35mm with EF 35mm f/1.4L
Focusing accuracy and errors..
Actual example of field curvature..
How Canon lenses perform for infrared use..
- Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L I and II
- Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
- Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
- Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS v1
- Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS
- Canon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
- Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
- Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 fisheye
- Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L v1
- Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.4
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L
- Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 macro
- Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II
- Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
- Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
- Canon EF 135mm f/2L
- Canon EF 300mm f/4L
- Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L
A brilliant, but also colorful character..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Ultra high performance with a fast aperture..
Brilliant imaging in a compact package..
Versatility in a “normal” lens and macro too!.
Ultra high performance apochromatic normal lens, first in the Otus line..
King of bokeh! Corner-to-corner sharpness, world class..
Beautiful bokeh, razor sharp, superb color correction..
Also known as shading..
Blurry lenses right out of the box..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and shoot tiny camera..
Superb ergonomic design in a compact camera..
Can smaller sensor cameras compete with larger ones on any basis?.
Use DSLR lenses at ~native focal length, and gain a stop of speed..
- SpeedBooster + Canon 15/2.8 Fisheye (NEX-6, MTB)
- SpeedBooster + Canon 35/2 IS (NEX-6, MTB)
- SpeedBooster + Canon 40/2.8 STM (NEX-6, MTB)
- Compared: SpeedBooster + 35mm Lenses (NEX-6, MTB + Doll)
- Compared: SpeedBooster + 50mm Lenses (NEX-6, MTB + Doll)
- SpeedBooster + Canon 85/1.2L II (NEX-6, MTB)
- SpeedBooster + Canon 85/1.8 (NEX-6, MTB)
- SpeedBooster + Canon 135/2L (NEX-6, MTB)
45mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2019-09-15 FOR SALE: Canon EF 200mm f/1.8L USM
2016-11-02 Field Shooting the Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L III
2016-10-24 Early Winter in the Sierra
2016-10-18 Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L III
2016-09-12 Canon 5D Mark IV Soon
2015-10-17 Reviewed: Canon 35mm f/1.4L II
2015-08-26 Announced: Canon 35mm f/1.4L II
2015-04-16 Canon 11-24mm f/4L in stock
2015-04-01 Beware of Image Stabilization on a Tripod
2015-03-03 Gear In Review
2015-02-05 Canon 11-24mm f/4L USM Ultra Wide Zoom
2014-07-02 Reviewed: Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
2014-07-01 The Effect of Focus Shift on Image Sharpness
2014-06-25 On the Way for testing: 16-35mm f/4L IS
2014-05-13 Canon Announces 16-35mm f/4L IS
2013-11-11 Deal: Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS
2013-10-29 Moonrise over Mono Lake
2013-10-14 Canon 200-400mm Shows Up Today
2013-10-03 Canon 200-400mm
2013-01-10 Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS
2012-11-06 NEW Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
2012-11-06 NEW Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
2012-10-30 Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II Field Examples
2012-10-26 Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II at 70mm (Dolls)
2012-10-23 Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II
2012-09-06 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II
2012-08-12 Canon 85mm f/1.2L II (on 5D Mark III)
2012-07-03 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake Lens
2011-10-07 Canon 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye Zoom Examples
2011-10-04 Canon 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye Zoom
2011-09-09 Reviewed: Canon 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye
2011-09-09 Canon 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye
2010-07-09 Reviewed: Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS
2010-06-25 Wide aperture with Canon 85mm f/1.2L II
2010-06-08 Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS
2010-06-04 Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II “breathing”
2010-04-01 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II update
2010-03-30 Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS review now online
2010-03-25 Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II review updated
2010-03-16 New Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II in hand
2010-03-06 Canon EF 200m f/2L IS
2009-11-11 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS macro in infrared
2009-11-06 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS macro reviewed
2009-10-29 In progress: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
2009-10-18 Reviewed: Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
2009-10-05 Canon EF 100/2.8L IS macro lens bad sample
2009-10-01 Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS macro lens
2009-06-14 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II reviewed
2009-06-12 Canon EF 24/1.4L II
2009-06-08 Canon EF 24/1.4L II
2009-05-09 Color bokeh — Canon 85/1.2L II
2007-12-28 Lens review: Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II
2007-11-14 Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II
2007-11-03 Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II
2007-06-07 Canon 70-200 f/4L IS exchanged
2007-06-05 Brand-new blur — Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS
2007-05-31 Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS zoom
2007-05-31 Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II and 16-35mm f/2.8L
2007-05-02 Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L back from repair
2007-04-03 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L vs 16-35mm f/2.8L II
2007-03-29 New Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8L II tested
2007-02-17 Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS in infrared
2007-02-09 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L
2006-12-15 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
2006-07-19 Canon EF 85mm/f1.2L II initial impressions
2006-07-14 Canon 35mm/f1.4L in infrared
2006-07-14 Canon 135mm/f2L in infrared
2006-06-09 Canon 85mm/f1.2L Mark II et al