Digital capture technology is discrete, and not the same as film..
Scroll down to see all publications and blog posts. Not all pages are curated—search.
Newest blog posts
Pages at other diglloyd sites:
See also 33 pages at macperformanceguide.com
See also 10 pages at windinmyface.com
2020-09-05 OWC Thunderbay FLEX 8: Overview
2020-05-29 OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dock: Overview
2020-05-17 OWC ThunderBay 8: Overview
2018-04-29 Concussion: Family Time
2018-01-18 LaCie 2Big 20TB Thunderbolt 3 Storage Dock
Color space for digital images. .
An introduction to digital workflow and best practices. .
Working with Photoshop for raw conversion and more. .
Tips for processing high dynamic range images. .
Maximizing dynamic range and image quality by minimizing noise via multiple exposures..
- Introduction to Frame Averaging
- When to use Frame Averaging
- Frame Averaging: Shooting Tips
- Frame Averaging: Quick Start How-To
- Frame Averaging Case Study: Pixel Shift for Frame Averaging
- Frame Averaging Case Study: Patriarch Grove Sunrise
- Frame Averaging Case Study: Granite Dome After Sunset
- Frame Averaging Case Study: Blending Frames
Maximizing image quality, dynamic range, minimizing digital noise. .
Aspects of image quality..
Evaluating Multi-Shot High-Res Mode..
- Panasonic S1R: Signal/Noise ratio for Multi-Shot vs Single Shot, ISO 50 to ISO 1600
- Panasonic S1R: Best Shooting Practices for Multi-Shot High-Res Mode
- Panasonic S1R: Workflow for Multi-Shot High-Res Mode Images in Adobe Camera Raw
- Panasonic S1R: Examples of Optimal Gains from Multi-Shot High-Res Mode (Dolls)
- Panasonic S1R: Standard vs Multi-Shot High-Res Mode (Moots by Creek)
Fast short telephoto lens for L-Mount cameras..
Oustanding image quality, but with some limitations..
- Examples of Image Quality in Challenging Lighting
- Image Quality with Long Exposures
- Image Quality with Underexposed Long Exposures
- Shootout: Nikon D850 vs Nikon D810, Early Night
- ISO Series: Creek to Pines to Mountain Peaks
- Noise and Dynamic Range Shootout at ISO 64, ISO Lo: D850 vs D810 (Sprinter Van)
- Dynamic Range: Lower Morgan Lake, Backlit Tree
- Noise: 30 Seconds, 3-stop Underexposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
- Noise: 15 Seconds, Near-Optimal Exposure (Rock Creek, Late Dusk)
Improvements on the workhorse D800E..
- Pushing Nikon D810 at ISO 64 up to 5.5 Stops
- ISO Series 31, 64, 100, ..., 12800 (Otus Fruit)
- D810 Chroma Noise Reduction ISO 3200 to 12800 (Otus Fruit)
- Noise vs Degree of Enlargement (Fruit, D810 at Sony A7s Size)
- D810 vs D800E: ISO 3200 Noise + White Balance + Sharpness (Decorated Bike)
- Nikon D810 + Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 APO vs Pentax 645Z (Pine Creek Sunflowers)
36 megapixels in a compact full-frame DSLR..
Image quality best practices and how-to with the Nikon D800/D800E..
D800E supplement and comparisons with Nikon D800..
D850 with the RGB Bayer matrix removed for a true monochrome sensor..
- Compared: Nikon D850 Monochrome to unmodified Nikon D850: Mining Warning Sign
- Examples: Eastern Sierra
- Examples: Eastern Sierra Man-Made Structures
- Examples: Frame Averaging for Ultra-Low Noise
- Blending Frames for Low Noise, Dynamic Range (Twenty Lakes Basin View To Mt Conness Eastern Ridge)
- Frame Averaging, Camera vs Photoshop (Moots MootoX YBB 29er)
Comparing the 2012/2013 high-res pro DSLRs..
Nikon’s pro-body high speed low light wonder..
High speed big brick shooter..
18 megapixel big black brick, Canon’s top of the line DSLR..
22 megapixel successor to the popular 5D Mark II..
- Examples — Carrizo Plain
- Examples — Alpine Creek
- Noise at ISO 200 with 1.2-stop Push
- Noise at ISO 100 with 1-stop Push
- 5D Mark III vs 5D Mark II from ISO 50 to 25600 (Dolls)
- 5D Mark III vs 5D Mark II from ISO 50 to 25600 (Flowers)
- 5D Mark III vs 5D Mark II from ISO 50 to 25600 (Creek)
- 5D Mark III vs 5D Mark II from ISO 50 to 25600 (Pipe Organ)
- 5D Mark III vs 5D Mark II from ISO 50 to 25600 (Last Supper)
- Shadow Noise vs Nikon D800E
- ETTR and Noise
- Exposure Latitude: RAW vs JPEG
- D800E vs Canon 5DM3 Noise (Whites Outhouse)
50 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
- Overview of Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R
- RAW vs mRAW: Sharpness, Tone, Color
- What 50 Megapixels of Sharpness Looks Like (Dolls)
- Sharpness: 5DS R vs 5DS vs 5D Mark III vs Nikon D810 (Old Map)
- Noise at ISO 100, Native Resolution and at Canon 5DM3 Resolution (Dolls)
- ISO Series from 50 to 12,800 in Color and Black and White (Cabin Interior)
- Canon 5DS R Real-World Noise: Moonstar Bristlecone
- Chroma Noise Reduction in Adobe Camera Raw @ ISO 12800 (Fruit)
- Canon 5DS R Noise vs Canon 5D Mark III (Fruit)
- Monochrome Potential, thoughts vs Leica MM246 (Dolls)
Nikon D3s low-light versatile DSLR..
30 megapixel successor to the 22 megapixel Canon 5D Mark III..
The 24.6 megapixel Sony A900 digital SLR is compared with Canon’ top-of-the-line 21.1MP EOS 1Ds Mark III. A field report including two comparisons with the Canon 1Ds Mark IIII, example images in color and black and white, and the Zeiss ZA 135mm f/1.8 Sonnar. Anti-Shake (SteadyShot) is assessed, as is noise behavior..
Includes: D3x resolution comparisons (res chart) with Nikon D3, Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III, resolution comparison on outdoor shot with Nikon D3, large examples, large wildlife examples, Nikon 200mm f/2 VR on D3x, long exposure noise ISO series, D3x sensitivity on diffraction, D3x dynamic range at ISO 100 vs ISO 50, D3x vs D3 color and noise..
Long exposure noise performance with the Nikon D3x, D3 and Canon 5D Mark II at ISOs from 50 through 25600..
Noise performance of early 2009’ premier digital SLRs. ISOs from 50 through 25600, dark area noise, noise reduction effects, noise versus resolution. Can more smaller pixels beat fewer large ones?.
Canon 1D Mark IV 16-megapixel DSLR..
Nikon vs Canon: Noise and Sharpness.
The rapid evolution of digital imaging quality..
Verions 2 — 36-megapixel full-frame DSLR with SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode..
36-megapixel full-frame DSLR with SuperRes Pixel Shift Mode..
All-new high performance design..
24-megapixel APS-C DSLR with SuperResolution true-color..
Canon’s tiny and lovely pancake lens..
Sigma’s fast high performance wide angle..
Sigma’s fast telephoto APO macro lenses..
Sigma’s fast an flexible moderate super telephoto..
A superlative multi-spectral lens with perfect color correction..
Articles written for MediumFormat.com..
- Maximize Image Quality with Shot Discipline, Overview with Key Tips
- Maximize Image Quality with Shot Discipline, Part 4: Optimal Exposure (February 2019)
- 100 Megapixel Medium Format: Perspectives from Field Use of the Hasselblad H6D-100C (April 2019)
- Phase One IQ4 Medium Format: the Summit of Image Quality (March 2020)
Phase One XF System, Phase One IQ4, Schneider Kreuznach Lenses.
Medium telephoto 100mm equivalent for Phase One XF system.
Aspects of image quality..
Experience, reader insights, etc..
Tips on getting the best results..
Image quality assessments..
- ISO Series from ISO 100 to 12800 (Dolls)
- Real World Dynamic Range: Grant Lake
- Real World Dynamic Range: Kitchen
- Observations on Image Quality vs Hasselblad, Canon, Nikon
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX 50s vs 35mm (late 2017 view)
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX vs Nikon D850 vs Sony A7R III: Sunrise, Lundy Canyon Waterfall
- SHOOTOUT: Fujifilm GFX vs Sony A7R II: Blue Water Flows Over Dark Rocks
Ultra wide angle equivalent to 19mm f/3.3. .
Slightly wide compact normal lens equivalent to 41mm f/2.9..
Ultra high speed telephoto equivalent to 90mm f/1.6..
High performance macro photography on medium format, equivalent to 99mm f/3.3..
High performance moderate wide angle.
Tips on Getting the Best Results..
Performance both in the field and controlled conditions..
Tips on Getting the Best Results..
A price/performance breakthrough?.
High end image quality, but what about lenses?.
A variety of 645 lens tests on the 645D.
The Mamiya DL28 offers the Mamiya 645 AFD III, the new Sekor AF 80mm f/2.8D lens and the Leaf Aptus-II 6 digital back. Image quality is outstanding and the DL28 should definitely be considered by anyone looking into medium format..
Examples and comparison from the various lenses.
Infrared camera choices with examples.
Ultra high performance in an extreme wild wide angle lens..
Brilliant imaging, even wide open, but with a few quirks. (Review in progress) .
Ultra high performance with a fast aperture..
Strokes of a master..
Ultra high performance apochromatic normal lens, first in the Otus line..
Rendering style, bokeh and beauty..
Untapped potential for greatly improved image quality..
Articles written for Lenspire.ZEISS.com..
Lighting for various situations..
The limits of resolution are governed by physics..
Good stuff and not so good stuff..
High speed portrait lens optimized for Canon mirrorless..
- ISO 64 to ISO 25600 (Juniper over Defunct Beaver Pond)
- Looking for Pattern Noise (Conness Drainage)
- Astrophotography vs Nikon D850 with/without Long Exposure Noise Reduction
- Astrophotography at ISO 180 Without Long Exposure Noise Reduction
- Long Exposure: ISO 400 at 30 Seconds vs ISO 64 at 272 Seconds
4th Generation standard-setting camera..
Attention to details: a solid upgrade over the A7R II..
Attention to details: a big upgrade over the A7R..
- ISO from 50 to 102400: Dolls (A7R II)
- Dynamic Range Assessment at ISO 50 (Garage)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction On/Off at ISO 50/100/200 (Garage)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction On/Off at ISO 100, with Push, Chroma Noise Reduction (Egg-Shaped Boulder)
- Examples: Detailed Look at Long Exposures (Hoover Wilderness)
- Posterization in Broad Daylight (Portrait at Dana Lake)
- Examples: Night Shots, Artificial Lighting (Coastal 60/4 UV-VIS-IR APO)
Full frame compact mirrorless with interchangeable lenses..
Blackout-free 20 fps speed demon..
Full frame compact 12-megapixel high-sensitivity sensor with 4K video..
Compact moderate wide angle for Sony mirrorless..
Ultra high performance medium telephoto..
Ultra high grade performer at a modest price..
Wide angle lens adapted from DSLR, native E-mount, all manual..
Use Leica M lenses on a digital back designed for them..
The best compact big-sensor digital camera yet?.
Razor sharp 28mm lens on APS-C sensor and outstanding usability and features..
Diminutive full-frame camera with 35mm f/2 fixed lens..
Full frame camera in an ultra-compact body with or without anti-aliasing filter..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and shoot tiny camera..
Stunningly high image quality in a 20MP point and wide range zoom..
Wide angle zoom equivalent (14-28mm equivalent)..
Beautiful bokeh, long reach fast speed, compact lens..
A macro lens with high performance..
A worthy upddate to the E-M5 with pro-grade build quality..
Superb ergonomic design in a compact camera..
Updated model with HighRes sensor shift mode..
Full size m4/3 camera body with a video orientation..
Can smaller sensor cameras compete with larger ones on any basis?.
Panasonic G-1 especially compared to the Olympus E-P1. Intriguing results with RAW vs in-camera JPEG. RAW file included for your own analysis..
Interchangeable lenses on a 16MP APS-C sensor.
Fujifilm's 24MP APS-C offering..
24 or 16 megapixels in a compact body with APS-C sensor..
- Examples (Portraits)
- Examples (Capturing the Moment)
- Examples (Capturing the Moment Foggy)
- Examples (Russian Ridge Fog/Sunset)
- Examples (Zeiss ZM 35/2 Biogon)
- Noise at ISO 100 - Geese
- Noise at ISO 100 - Seagull
- Noise at ISO 100 - Downsampled to 12MP
- Noise at ISO 200 - Portrait
- Noise at ISO 200 - Duck
- Noise Reduction by Downsampling
Value camera: 24 megapixel APS-C sensor with EVF and vibration-free shutter..
Outstanding wide angle, superb performer..
Manual focus moderate wide angle for full-frame mirrorless..
Leica’s 28-70mm APS-C compact camera..
Shooting + post processing tips with high-res examples..
Foveon X3 true-color sensor for outstanding resolution..
Mirrorless Sigma Quattro sensor with interchangeable lenses..
45mm f/2.8 equivalent FOV lens..
28mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
75mm f/2.8 equivalent lens on APS-C sensor..
Leica M mount in slim body with SL-type sensor..
Overall design and behavior..
Field shooting the Leica MM, and comparisons..
24-megapixel fixed lens compact full-frame..
Leica’s widest prime lens..
Leica’s widest lens utilizing built-in frame lines..
Leica’s superlative normal lens..
Compact wide angle..
All around razor sharp performer..
Fasted 35mm lens for Leica M, great ergonomics..
Blog posts, reverse chronological
2018-08-24 Comments on Nikon Z7 Features
2017-12-16 Reader Comments: Sony A7R III
2017-10-28 Sony Alpha A7R III: Pixel Shift Facts
2017-10-12 Nikon D850: Something Special
2017-10-09 Nikon D850: ISO 31 vs ISO 64 and vs D810
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Video Features
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Metering (I Want Auto-ETTR!)
2017-08-26 Nikon D850: Evaluating Noise Properly
2017-01-18 Leica M10: Inertial Design
2016-05-07 Pentax K1 Thoughts
2016-02-19 Reader Comment: Sony A7R II in Extreme Cold
2016-02-18 Pentax K1 Super Resolution Pixel Shift Mode
2016-02-03 Sony A6300, and the Fujifilm X-Pro2
2015-08-21 Sony A7R II: Where is Pixel Shift?
2014-07-22 Reader Comments: D810 Review, Lenses, etc
2014-07-13 Sony A7s vs Sony A7R: ISO and Noise
2014-05-27 Sony A6000: Sensor Quality at ISO 100
2013-06-17 Leica M Typ 240: Night-time Photography
2013-05-02 Nikon D800E vs Canon 5D Mark III: Sharpness
2013-04-30 Comparing Noise Between Cameras
2013-04-19 The Color Gamut of Fruit
2013-03-13 Sigma DP Merrill: ISO 100 or 200?
2013-02-21 Nikon D7100 — No Anti-Aliasing Filter
2013-02-11 Leica M Typ 240 / M240 Image Quality
2012-11-19 ETTR and Digital Image Quality
2012-07-25 Canon EOS 1D X: Pattern Noise
2012-07-23 Canon EOS 1D X Arrives Today
2012-04-24 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Noise Evaluation
2012-04-18 Reader Comments on D800, 5D Mark III
2012-04-03 En route— 36-megapixel Nikon D800
2012-04-01 What I Want in a 2012 Digital SLR
2012-03-27 Canon 5D Mark III Examples, Focusing, Noise
2011-12-28 Sony NEX-7 — RAW Only 8 Bits?
2011-12-26 Reader Thoughts on Sony NEX
2010-01-19 Canon 1D Mark IV — first impressions
2009-12-13 Nikon D3s ISO 3200 examples posted — wow!
2009-02-07 Helicon focus example
2009-01-23 Noise with Nikon and Canon
2009-01-14 Noise on 4 cameras
2009-01-07 Canon 5D Mark II first impressions
2009-01-04 Nikon D3x noise and color vs D3
2009-01-01 Nikon D3x dynamic range and noise
2008-12-25 Nikon D3x examples, noise
2008-10-11 Handheld shooting and ISO
2008-09-24 Canon EOS 5D Mark II comments
2008-08-01 Canon 1Ds Mark III — ISO 200
2008-06-14 Noise — Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III
2008-04-23 Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III — low light shooting
2007-12-29 Nikon D3 high ISO comments
2007-12-11 Nikon D3 noise behavior
2007-11-06 Multiple exposures for low noise
2007-11-05 Noise-free photography from any camera?
2007-06-05 Canon EOS 1D Mark III color and noise
2007-05-25 Canon 1D Mark III high ISO noise
2007-03-07 ECC memory errors followup
2006-06-19 Fujifilm F30 point and shoot