According to the rumor mill, the arrival of Mac OS X Snow Leopard is imminent. Read my August 3rd advice on how to approach Snow Leopard. If you have only one Mac and you depend on it for your critical work, think November, not September for Snow Leopard (wait 2-3 months). Seriously. It’s the “if it ain’t broke” principle here. I’m not worried about most software, but I do worry about printer drivers, Adobe products and any specialty products requiring drivers or special software.
I’ve ordered the Snow Leopard Family Pack, and I’ll be installing it first on my MacBook Pro, which for me is a non-critical machine. If all goes well, then a week or two later I will install it on a second boot volume for my “test mule” Mac Pro. After verifying that everything important to me works properly, I’ll install it on my main Mac Pro, but I doubt that the process will conclude before October, and failure of anything important necessarily means waiting for a patch or fix to be released for the problem application.