I am told I will have a Nikon D800 for testing sometime on April 5th.
Following up on my Nikon D800 status, I want to add a few notes—
- Nikon is glad to supply me with an evaluation Nikon D800 in 8-12 months or so. And a flat- out “no” on the D800E. It’s nice to be appreciated, but which side of the coin that is... !
- I’m not assuming the Nikon D800 will be the cat’s meow. The D800 might have its own issues (every camera seems to have some), and it could well be that the superlative Nikon D3x remains Nikon’s best camera. Or not. We shall see.
- I don’t care so much about noise at high ISO, but I am hoping that we can see very clean results without pattern noise in the ISO 100-400 range, at least.
- I hope Live View with the Nikon D800 is done right.
- It seems that self-timer is still brain-dead; cannot work with mirror lockup (an idiotic flaw that forces use of a remote release, unlike Canon, I explained to Nikon years ago to multiple sources, but nothin' happens).
- I like the fact that the eyepiece takes the DK-17M magnifying eyepiece.
And so on.