I just got the Really Right Stuff BDP2 Set: Base + L-Plate + Grip for the Sigma DP3 Merrill. This is a really nice handling piece of gear for the DP Merrill, and it also affords a lot of protection to the camera. The grip fits my hands very nicely.
The Really Right Stuff L-brackets are available for most cameras. An L-bracket offers the following advantages:
- Instant mount in landscape or portrait mode on clamp style tripod head (the only kind worth considering for normal field use).
- Protection at bottom and left (e.g., for bracing against rocks and the like.
- Optional grip attaches to the base plate (not shown, not yet available, coming soon).
- High quality anodized perfect-fit construction with unobstructed access to the battery and storage card.
- Easy on/off with supplied allen wrench.
- The “L” part of the plate is easily removed (e.g. for cycling, etc); for all around shooting, I might do this, retaining the bottom plate and grip portion (which I am looking forward to, enjoying the RRS grip very much on my Olympus E-M5).
The grip makes handling the Sigma DP Merrill a very secure thing. I like it a lot when shooting. It adds some bulk and weight, so when I don't need it, the whole L-bracket and grip unbolts as a unit in just a few seconds with the supplied allen wrench.
Shown below is the Really Right Stuff L-bracket for the Sigma DP2 Merrill (on my personal Sigma DP2 Merrill).