I updated both my D800 and D800E to Nikon’s latest firmware.
The mangled (subsampled) magnified Live View remains the same as before. This was really the only critical thing I wanted to see fixed, and it has not been addressed.
For my use at least, nothing of significance has changed, except perhaps the “wide gamut display.”, which I have not yet evaluated. Something of real value would have been allowing for a wide gamut color space sufficient to fully cover the gamut of which the camera is capable, e.g., “MaxCameraGamutRGB” (this would allow a histogram that properly describes the capture). The D800 color gamut greatly exceeds what AdobeRGB can handle, especially with bright or saturated reds. Of course, many shooters still can’t see such colors, since they don’t have a
The “” thing never really mattered to me, as the problem with meat on its bones is that the camera insists on stopping down to the aperture that is chosen, so one has to constantly open up the lens to focus, then close down to shoot.
Modifications enabled with this upgrade of firmware, April 2, 2012
- Support for the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR has been added.
- Subject tracking performance in AF-C (continuous-servo autofocus) autofocus mode with framing using the viewfinder has been improved.
- Gamut for Adobe RGB images displayed in the camera's monitor has been changed. This enables more vivid display of images.
- With live view photography in [M] (Manual) exposure mode, exposure preview was always on. This issue has been resolved.
- In some very rare cases when certain memory cards were used, movie recording would stop, even when the time remaining display indicated remaining recording time. This issue has been resolved.
- With shooting at an image quality setting of TIFF (RGB) and an image size setting of Small, the right edge of images contained a purple line. This issue has been resolved.
- In some rare cases, images recorded in JPEG format could not be opened by some software applications. This issue has been resolved.
- In some very rare cases, colors would change with shooting when white balance was set to a specific color temperature, as with Preset manual or Choose color temp. This issue has been resolved.