Out of the blue, a reader wrote me offering to send me his new Leica M Typ 240, Leica 50mm f/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH and Leica M Monochrom. Wow! I don’t generally get such a generous offer. Those first two are exceptionally hard to find (total non-success so far).
I’m told I’ll have these items starting next week on loan for about a week, so I’ll be dropping everything else during that time in order to focus on these exciting new items.
Given the short time frame, traveling to my favorite photographic destinations for field shots probably doesn’t work (time consuming); I need to be at home and to evaluate and publish results efficiently, learning as I go. So I’ll try to nail things down technically and I do expect to eventually get a Leica M Typ 240 and 50/2 AA of my own later in the year.
Key things I have in mind:
- Relative performance of the Leica 50mm lens line (50/0.95 Noctilux, 50/1.4 Summilux, 50/2 APO ASPH, 50/2 ).
- Features and usability differences between the M9P and the M240.
- Image quality differences between the 18-megapixel M9P CCD sensor and the 24-megapixel M240 CMOS sensor.
- (possibly) Leica M Typ 240 vs Leica M Monochrome for black and white detail.
- Evaluation of the EVF, and its usefulness for framing and focusing precision.
- Evaluation of performance of a variety of lenses on the M240: 21/3.4, 24/3.8, 28/2, 28/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/0.95, 50/1.4. And perhaps the Zeiss 35/2 Biogon and 50/2 Planar.