I went ahead and updated, and I will report on my experience as I use the camera.
Download the updater from the Updates link on the Leica M page.
Kudos to Leica for stating it plainly “bug fixes”. Most companies can’t own up to reality this way. I experienced some of these bugs myself so I am pleased to see progress. No word on whether camera lockups are banished, or when the VF-4 EVF might be supported (a major attraction, as in blurry and low contrast vs sharp and contrasty), and there is apparently little or no change to various usability issues.
M (Type 240) Firmware Version 22.214.171.124
Improvements in firmware version 126.96.36.199 versus version 188.8.131.52.
Improved performance of the white balance
The accuracy of the white balance presets and the auto white balance function is higher with version 184.108.40.206. This results in better skin tones and better general colour rendering.
Improved Video quality
The visibility of compression artifacts is reduced due to lower video compression.
For coded Leica lenses, the image homogeneity (colour shift) has been improved.
- Improved stability using Live View, both with and without EVF-2
- Issue with display settings in combination with “Sharpness high” - fixed
- Issue with exposures after switching the camera on - fixed
- The “Auto Power Off” function showed unexpected behavior - fixed
- The recording dates for video files have been incorrect occasionally - fixed
- Issue with Copyright and Artist Information in EXIF Data - fixed
- Improvement of general system stability
- Several minor bug fixes