See my Pentax K1 wish list at B&H Photo.
The modern Pentax full-frame lens lineup is quite limited for high-res full frame digital digital, but the new 15-30mm f/2.8 looks promising in that it covers an extremely useful range. At about $1450, its pricing undercuts the about $1896 Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G.
- K-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22
- ED Glass Elements
- Super Protect & HD Multi-Layer Coatings
- Supersonic Direct-Drive AF Motor
- Quick-Shift Focus System
- Minimum Focus Distance: 11"
- Dust- and Weather-Resistant Design
- 9-Blade Rounded Diaphragm
- Integrated Lens Hood
The HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR uses ED glass elements to reduce aberrations and features an HD multi-layer coating to limit flare and ghosting. Operation is fast, with a Supersonic Direct-Drive Motor (SDM) for autofocus and it has a Quick-Shift focus system for switching between auto and manual focusing. And, it can focus down to 11" for convenience.
Ensuring optimal performance on Pentax DSLRs, the lens is fully dust- and weather-resistant with eight seals to protect from intrusion. This is assisted by the use of a Super Protect coating on the bulbous front element as well as an integrated lens hood for minimal damage in case of an accident. Additionally, it has a 9-bladed rounded diaphragm for smooth out-of-focus elements.
- Covering ultra-wide to wide-angle perspectives, this 15-30mm zoom offers a unique option for full-frame K-mount Pentax DSLRs and is also compatible with APS-C models, where it will provide a 23-46mm equivalent focal length range.
- Constant f/2.8 maximum aperture maintains consistent performance throughout the zoom range and also contributes to greater selective focus control.
- ED glass elements are featured in the lens design and help to control chromatic aberrations and reduce color fringing for increased clarity and color fidelity.
- The High Definition (HD) multi-layer coating is utilized to reduce reflections, flare, and ghosting for improved contrast and color in more trying lighting conditions.
- Super Protect coating and integrated lens hood help keep the optics safe in the event of accidental impact or when it comes in contact with water or dust.
- Supersonic Direct-Drive Motor (SDM) ensures fast, quiet, and smoother autofocus operation.
- A rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing shallow depth of field techniques. It is completely rounded between f/2.8-4 when at 15mm and between f/2.8-5.6 when at 30mm.
- A weather-resistant design features eight seals which better permit working in inclement conditions.
23-46mm equivalent on APS-C
|Construction||18 elements in 13 groups
three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) and three aspherical elements
|Aperture scale:||f/2.8 - f/22|
|Focusing range:||11.02 in/ 28 cm|
|Magnification:||0.20X = 1:5|
|Angle of view:||111° - 72°
APS-C Picture Angle: 86° - 50°
|Filter thread:||none (bulbous front element)|
|Weight (nominal):||2.29 lb (1040 g)|
|Weight (to the gram as weighed):||TBD|
|Dimensions:||Approx. 3.88 x 5.65" (9.86 x 14.35 cm)|
|Street price:||about $1450|
|Includes:||O-LW98A Lens Cap
Rear Lens Cap(B) for Bayonet Mount Lenses
S120-160 Lens Soft Case
Limited 1-Year Warranty