See my solar and battery power charging wish list at B&H Photo.
Update: see Yeti Goal Zero review.
About a year ago, I wrote Up in the Mountains in a Canyon, What to do for Power for a Laptop?. I’ve now come across but not yet tested the product line I was looking for.
The Yeti 150 or Yeti 400 units are batteries that can be charged via AC power, car lighter socket or solar panels. They offer power outlets for recharging cameras or laptops and so on. Large solar panels and the Yeti 1250 are suitable for vans and longer camping stays.
There are also a variety of smaller portable solutions that use a solar panel to to directly charge electronics via USB. There are also portable solar + battery solutions so power can be stored up for later charging while devices are in use.
- Charging iPhone, iPad, any USB-Chargeable Device: Lupine USB One
- Sony A7R II: Field Charging the In-Camera Battery
- Power On the Road: Power Inverter for Everything, MagSafe Charging for Apple Laptops
- USB-Charging your iPad, iPhone, Cameras in the Car, Colored Lightning Cables
- MagSafe Connector Disconnects? Fix it with the NewerTech Snuglet
- Flashlights and Headlamps
- Staying Warm, Dry, Safe