At about $498, Sony’s new FE 50mm f/2.8 macro may be a good all around option if its distance performance is also at a high level. A combination of high performance at both close range and distance is has always made the Zeiss 50mm f/2M and Zeiss 50mm f/2 Makro-Planar appealing; many macro lenses do not perform particularly well at distance.
Focusing to 1:1 is appealing, but the 6.3-inch minimum focusing distance is to the plane of the sensor, which means that the lens will be right on top of the subject. So it is less useful than it sounds unless ring lighting or backlighting or similar is used.
Given the long barrel extension as shown below, it may be that the lens maintains something close to a 50mm focal length instead of playing focal length shortening tricks to maintain relatively constant aperture. If so it will probably be f/4.5 or so at 1:1.
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/16
- One Extra-Low Dispersion and One Aspherical Element
- Life-Size 1:1 Magnification
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 6.3"
- Focus Range Limiter & Focus Hold Button
- Dust- & Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Rounded 7-Blade Diaphragm
The oddball 55mm filter size is a nuisance: none of my Canon or Nikon or Zeiss or Sony or Olympus or Ricoh or Leica lenses. The best solution for anyone in a similar situation is a 55mm to 58mm step-up ring.
|Focal length:||50mm (nominal, close range could differ)|
|Aperture range:||2.8 - 16|
|Focusing range:||6.3 in / 16 cm|
|Angle of view:||47° (distance unspecified)|
|Number of elements/groups:||8 elements in 7 groups|
|Lens diaphragm:||7 blades|
|Weight (nominal):||8.32 oz / 236g|
|Dimensions:||Approx. 2.79 x 2.80" (70.8 x 71 mm)|
|Street price:||about $498|
|Supplied with:||ALC-F55S 55mm Front Lens Cap
R1EM Rear Lens Cap for E-Mount Lenses (Dark Gray)
Limited 1-Year Warranty
A normal-length prime with close-focusing capabilities, the FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro Lens from Sony offers an impressive 1:1 maximum magnification, along with a 6.3-inch minimum focusing distance, for making life-size imagery of close-up subjects.
Useful controls, such as a top-printed distance and magnification scale, focus range limiter, and focus hold button, all benefit more precise focusing adjustments for refined results. Complementing the handling capabilities, the optical design also incorporates both an aspherical and an extra-low dispersion element, which work to suppress chromatic and spherical aberrations for increased clarity throughout the focus range. Additionally, the lens sports a dust- and moisture-resistant design to benefit working in inclement weather conditions.
• Standard prime macro lens is designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, and can also be used on APS-C models where it provides a 75mm equivalent focal length.
• True macro design affords a life-size, 1:1 magnification ratio along with a 6.3" minimum focusing distance for working with close-up subjects. A focusing distance and magnification scale is also printed on the top of the lens to aid in more technical applications.
• One aspherical element and one extra-low dispersion glass element are incorporated into the optical design to reduce both spherical and chromatic aberrations for increased clarity and sharpness.
• A focus range limiter switch allows you constrain the usable focus range between 6.3-11.8", 11.8"-infinity, or full, and a focus hold button is also featured to manually stop the autofocus at a specified point.
• Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
• Dust- and moisture-resistant construction benefits this lens' use in inclement conditions.