See my reviews of Sigma DG HSM Art lenses at 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm.
Looks like another fine 'Art' lens from Sigma. I’ll be testing it and adding it to my Sigma Art lens reviews just as soon as it ships.
- High Grade Aspherical Glass to control distortion
- Constant F4 through entire zoom
- Updated AF system with 1.3X Torque
- Full frame coverage for Nikon F, Canon EF, Sigma SA mount
- Aperture Range: f/4 to 22
- FLD and Aspherical Elements
- Super Multi-Layer Coating
- Hyper Sonic AF Motor, Manual Override
- Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm
- TSC Material, Brass Bayonet Mount
- Dust- and Splash-Proof Construction
- Compatible with Sigma USB Dock
With 16 elements in 11 groups (same as Canon 11-24/4L) including two elements claimed equivalent to fluorite, the Sigma 12-24mm appears to be a very highly corrected lens offering very low distortion and outstanding performance.
Fit and finish are attractive, just like all its siblings, and more attractive than Nikon and Canon offerings, to my eye.
Selected comments from Sigma
It’s unclear what “minimal distortion” means, but it presumably means something of 1.5% or lower, which would be a huge win for the range of focal lengths.
The Sigma 12-24mm F4 DG HSM Art is a premium full frame wide angle zoom designed to have minimal distortion in its wide angle imagery. Part of the Art line, the Sigma 12-24mm F4 DG HSM Art was created from decades of experience manufacturing wide-angle lenses.
FLD glass elements, with performance equal to fluorite, provide for exceptional image quality while an updated Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) uses 1.3X the torque for quick AF.
A constant F4 aperture through the entire zoom range allows for greater ability in low light compared to previous models and the use of the largest aspherical element in the industry controls distortion, ghosting and flaring.
An emphasis on edge to edge performance brings stunningly sharp and contrasty images to life. Ideal for many types of photography, the 12-24mm F4 Art is perfect for landscape photography, architecture photography, interior photography and much more.
Benefitting handling, the 12-24mm is equipped with a Hyper Sonic AF motor with an optimized algorithm for speed and accuracy. The lens also offers a large focusing ring with full-time manual override settings for quickly making adjustments.
A rounded 9-blade diaphragm improves image quality by helping create smooth bokeh while the lens is constructed from a lightweight and durable thermally-stable composite.
Also, the 12-24mm has a brass bayonet lens mount and is dust- and splash-proof. And, it is fully compatible with Sigma's USB Dock.
As part of the Art line within Sigma's Global Vision series, this lens' is designed to achieve truly notable optical performance and is ideally suited for creative and artistic applications.
- Designed for full-frame format Nikon F-mount cameras, and can also be used with APS-C models where it will provide a 18-36mm equivalent focal length.
- Constant f/4 maximum aperture provides consistent performance throughout the zoom range.
- F Low Dispersion and aspherical elements, including an 80mm large-diameter molded glass aspherical element, have been incorporated within the lens design to correct for chromatic aberrations throughout the entire focusing range and help to ensure high image sharpness, clarity, and contrast regardless of focus point or aperture setting. This optical design also helps to control distortion and limit vignetting.
- A Super Multi-Layer Coating has been applied to lens elements in order to minimize lens flare and ghosting and contribute to producing contrast-rich and color-neutral imagery, even in backlit conditions.
- The integrated HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) realizes quick and quiet autofocusing, which is further complemented by an optimized AF algorithm to produce smoother focusing performance. The HSM also permits full-time manual focus control simply by rotating the focus ring at any time.
- Minimum focus distance of 9.4" when shooting at 24mm for getting close to your subjects.
- A rounded nine-blade diaphragm helps to produce an attractive out-of-focus quality.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
- Constructed using a Thermally Stable Composite (TSC) material, along with traditional metals, for greater precision and use in wide temperature variations.
- Bayonet mount is constructed from brass for ensured accuracy and durability.
- Dust- and splash-proof construction with rubber sealing to protect the mount and a water- and oil-repellent coating on the front and rear elements.
- Compatible with the optional Sigma USB Dock for fine-tuning different lens characteristics and updating its firmware.
Nominal except as noted.
|Focal length:||12mm - 24mm|
|Aperture scale:||f/4 - f/22|
|Diaphragm blades:||9 blades, rounded|
|Number of elements/groups:||16 elements in 11 groups|
|Focusing range:||9.45 in / 24 cm|
|Angular field:||122° - 84.1°|
|Image ratio at close range:||1:4.9|
|Weight, nominal:||2.54 lb / 1150 g|
|Weight, as weighed||TBD|
|Dimensions:||4.02 x 5.18 in / 102 x 131.5 mm|
|List price:||about $1199|
|Includes||LH927-02 Lens Hood
Limited 1-Year Warranty