Get Nikon 8-15mm at B&H Photo.
The new about $1247 Nikon AF-S 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED covers a focal length range that I’ve liked before with Canon’s 8-15mm*. It looks to offer a very high level of correction, and it’s a lens I’d like to see in my bag. Still, I’d prefer a lens like Canon 11-24mm f/4L over the 8-15mm range: might Nikon have something in the works there, to replace the aging Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G?
Close focus range down into macro territory of about 1:3 should make this a wild and wacky and fun to shoot lens.
The one drawback, actually quite a big one in terms of one key usage that I’d want the range for: astrophotography—because f/3.5 is already too dark and f/4.5 is way too dark. These days, I find it is rare even in the mountains to have nights where f/4 is bright enough. Canon’s offering has a fixed f/4 aperture so it’s a little darker at the fisheye end and a little brighter at 15mm.
- F-Mount Lens/FX Format
- Maximum Aperture: f/3.5-4.5
- Three Extra Low-Dispersion Elements
- Two Aspherical Elements
- Nano Crystal & Super Integrated Coatings
- Protective Fluorine Coating
- Silent Wave Motor AF System Internal Focus; Manual Focus Overrid
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism Seven-Blade Diaphragm
* Which makes its description as “unique” a false claim,. The marketing copywriters ought to do their homework.
Delivering a creative and distinct look, the AF-S Fisheye NIKKOR 8-15mm f/3.5-4.5E ED from Nikon is a fisheye zoom designed for FX-format F-mount DSLRs.
At the wide end of the zoom range, the lens produces a circular field of view, which gradually covers the entire full frame by the long end of the focal length range. Benefitting the extreme angle of view, the optical design makes use of two aspherical elements and three extra low-dispersion elements to control spherical and chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range for improved sharpness, clarity, and color accuracy. Also, Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings have been applied to suppress flare and ghosting for improved contrast in strong lighting conditions.
Complementing the distinct optical attributes, the lens also uses a Silent Wave Motor that produces fast, smooth, and quiet autofocus performance, along with the ability to manually override focus at any time. An electromagnetic diaphragm is also featured for greater exposure control stability when working with faster continuous shooting rates.
- Unique fisheye zoom is designed for FX-format Nikon F-mount DSLRs, and can also be used on DX models where it provides a 12-22.5mm equivalent focal length range.
- Circular fisheye design at the wide end of the zoom range transitions to full-frame coverage by the long end of focal length range.
- Three extra-low dispersion glass elements are used in the optical construction to reduce a variety of chromatic aberrations and color fringing for a high degree of clarity and color neutrality.
- Two aspherical elements are featured to control spherical aberrations for notable sharpness and resolution.
- Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings have been applied to lens elements to minimize surface and internal reflections for a marked reduction in lens flare and ghosting.
- Fluorine coating on exposed elements affords protection to the optical system.
- Silent Wave Motor autofocus mechanism provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance that is ideal for photographing fast-moving subjects.
- Full-time manual focus override allows instant switching between AF and MF focusing systems by just rotating the focus ring at any time.
- Internal focusing design maintains the overall lens length during operation and contributes to a lighter overall weight.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
Infrared shooters: Nikon state that the Nano Crystal Coating is optimized out to 780 nm, 680nm to 800nm being the range I favored for infrared shooting in years prior.
An anti-reflective coating developed by Nikon that virtually eliminates internal lens element reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. Nano Crystal Coat uses ultrafine, nano-sized* crystal particles to eliminate reflections inside the lens throughout the spectrum of visible light waves (380 to 780 nm) in ways that far exceed the limits of conventional antireflection coating systems. Nano Crystal Coat not only solves ghost effects caused by red light, which was incredibly difficult for previous systems. It also effectively reduces ghost and flare effects caused by light entering the lens diagonally. The result: clearer images.
|Aperture scale:||f/3.5 @ 8mm to f/4.5 @ 15mm|
|Diaphragm blades:||7 blades|
|Number of elements/groups:||15 elements in 13 groups|
|Focusing range:||6.3 in / 16 cm|
|Angular field:||180° - 175°|
|Image ratio at close range:||.34X = 1:2.94|
|Weight, nominal:||1.07 lb / 485 g|
|Dimensions:||3.05 x 3.27 in / 77.5 x 83 mm|
|Street price:||about $1247|
|Includes:||77mm Snap-On Lens Cap
LF-4 Rear Lens Cap
HB-83 Lens Hood CL-1118 Soft Lens Case
Limited 1-Year Warranty
Limited 4-Year USA Warranty Extension upon Registration