Loving the Luxli Cello RGBAW LED Light, Perhaps Not for Its Designed Purposes (yet), in my Sprinter Van it Solves a Need
Get Luxli Cello at B&H Photo.
Home late yesterday after a grueling 210 miles, tonight I just tried the about $399 Luxli Cello tonight in my Mercedes Sprinter photography adventure van. It’s way cool and fills several needs I’ve had since I got my van:
- It offers an enormous array of color combinations, but my favorite is pure red, which does not wreck night vision or trigger the anti-sleep reflex as does bluish light. And yet, a college student might run it on blue or bluish to help stay awake.
- It is designed with a CRI (color rendering index) of 95 and TLCI of 97, so it can be used for still or video photography for accurate color rendition, coming with a hot-shoe mount (and tripod mount). And yet it can reproduce a myriad of other colors as well.
- I’ve been looking for a remote-controllable red light source that will light up the van interior nice and bright for night-time, something that won’t disturb my night vision—the red mode does that very nicely over a soothing just barely there for night-time to quite bright
- From outside the van I can turn on light inside the van using my iPhone. Very nice when hauling a few 5-pound trout and a fishing pole and a pack and camera.
- Since it is battery powered with a standard (and included) Sony NPF battery, it can be used indoors or outdoors and mounted on a tripod also.
My daughter (heading to college this fall), is begging me to get one for her. Maybe I will—her flute performance today was magnificent, drawing a stream of compliments.
- 10" 176 RGBAW LED Light , 176 LEDs
- Photometrics: 111.49 fc / 1199.63 lux at 3' / .91 m
- Adjustable Full Color Light
- iOS/Android App Control via Bluetooth
- White Mode: Standard Bicolor Operation
- RGB Mode: Select Color from RGB Wheel
- Filter Mode: Colored Gel Sampling
- Discreet Dimming and Color Knobs
- 100 to 0% Brightness Dimming
- 1/4"-20 Mounting Thread (with removable insert for 3/16")
- CRI 95, TLCI 97
- power: AC Adapter, External Battery, or 7 to 15V DC at 2 amps 24 watts max
- Dimensions: 9.5 x 3.6 x 0.8" / 24.1 x 9.1 x 2 cm
- Weight: 13.2 oz / 374 g
As for photography, I’ll be putting it to use soon. See also the ProtoMachines LED8 Full Color Photography Light.
Attach a plate from Really Right Stuff and mount the Luxli Cello on a tripod, such as the Really Right Stuff TFA-01 ULTRA Pocket Pod.
The picture below is missing one thing: the Luxli Cello has a nice quality rear LCD also, to control the light without the app.