EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2022-01-25 15:32:34
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
The 11mm focal length is as extreme as it gets for a full frame rectilinear lens, yet Canon delivers it in an 11-24mm zoom with very high quality. Your author finds the additional 11-14mm range (versus, say, the Nikon 14-24) to be compelling in the field, opening up new possibilities not possible before, not even with a prime lens (at least as of mid 2015).
Tested here at 11mm on the 23-megapixel Canon 5D Mark III about three months prior to the arrival of the 50-megapixel Canon 5Ds, the 11-24/4L looks to have reserves for the increased resolution, but the interplay of depth of field and diffraction vs sharpness may limit the gains to significantly less than the megapixel count suggests.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.