EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2022-09-25 09:44:29
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 184.108.40.206
The Canon 11-24mm f/4L utilizes a bulbous front element which precludes the use of conventional filters. Given the wide angle of view, this is not a particularly troublesome restriction.
However, that bulbous front element has its downside—a behavior prone to flare, even in unexpected situations.
Flare behavior at 24mm
This series of 4 images shows the flare behavior at the 24mm setting as the lens goes from including the sun in the frame to not including it at all and being pointed about 90° away from the sun.
Compare the four images, two with the sun in the frame, and two without the sun, the last at about 90° away from the sun. In all instances there are ghosting flares.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.