EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2021-12-02 20:26:20
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 184.108.40.206
I’ve shot and tested so many lenses over the years that I can say with considerable confidence that the TS-E 17/4L is an outstanding design, one I’d love to own. Its fine qualities come through in every image I shot.
However, the sample I obtained from LensRentals.com had a serious sharpness problem on one side of its field. LensRentals.com takes such things very seriously, testing lenses before sending them out, but in this case the sample I used will immediately be sent to Canon service for adjustment/repair.
Whether the problem I observed is the result of abuse or mishandling is hard to say; it was not a new out-of-the box sample, having previously been rented.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.