EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2021-10-18 06:55:26
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 22.214.171.124
This aperture series includes subject matter that is particularly suitable for evaluating image sharpness across the frame and its relation to field curvature. Also, color fringing is put to the test.
The scene is near infinity focus, and it gives us a good idea of sharpness and contrast and field flatness and color aberrations across the aperture range on a very demanding subject.
The 36-megapixel Nikon D800E is a demanding camera for optics, and it’s clear that the 24/1.4G is a very good lens, but it has about reached its limits on the D800E sensor.
Converted with Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) settings as shown below. A touch of Clarity was used to deliver a result equivalent to my perception at the time. Clarity is a form of additional sharpening.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.