EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2021-04-20 10:11:42
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
The following claim is presented on Nikon’s global web site:
Newly developed optical system effectively corrects sagittal coma flare and coma aberration.
The crops presented below shows the claim to be at odds with reality. The Reindeer Bokeh page is dedicated to this subject, as well as the crops below. This doesn’t mean that the 50/1.4G is necessarily worse than other 50mm lenses, but Nikon’s claim is just strange given the evidence.
The crops below show what to expect with a variety of 50mm lenses at f/1.4. Even with Live View, all were extremely difficult to focus off-center (which is where sagittal coma flare occurs) and so perfect focus matching could not be achieved. However, the overall behavior is clear.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.