EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2023-02-08 05:30:32
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 22.214.171.124
The low shutter speeds mean that commentary on sharpness can be noted, but not considered definitive.
The forest shots were shot handheld in part to assess the VR functionality. Nikon claims “up to 5 stops of image stabilization”, which means that 1/40 second should be 1/1250 equivalent or so, which the outing proved to an unjustified claim, even using my very best technique and really taking my time even for my own heartbeat. Still, the VR is extremely effective over not having it; with a ~50% or so success rate at absurdly low speeds of 1/40 - 1/80 second at ~200mm. As a very rough estimate, I deem it good for 2-3 stops for critical sharpness and 4 stops for viable images (as very rough estimates).
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.