EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2019-06-25 13:50:40
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
The reader is strongly advised to read the lens evaluation notes.
The Nikon AF-S 24mm f/1.4G is a very high performance lens. On a relative basis, it delivers a high quality level at all apertures (on a relative basis), and when stopped down to f/5.6 delivers an outstanding image, albeit with some weakness in the mid zones, and moderate lateral chromatic aberration.
As can be expected with a high performance lens on the D800, a subtle loss of contrast from diffraction begins to show at f/8. Stopping down to f/11, the results remain very good but with some lost of micro contrast. (one must weigh depth of field against peak micro contrast). Aperture f/16 suffers badly, and cannot be recommended for general use.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.