EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2019-04-19 00:27:34
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 22.214.171.124
The lens evaluations that follow are intended to provide a sense of how the lens performs across its aperture range. General conclusions follow after the lens evaluations for each lens.
Commentary is intentionally limited to general performance characteristics on a planar target, since technique and shooting conditions and subject matter and field curvature all exert an influence on the final results.
Do not conclude too much about a lens on a planar (flat) target given how even a small amount of field curvature can degrade planar sharpness on a 36-megapixel camera. Most lenses have at least a little field curvature, often in the mid-zones (between center and edges), and the corners, or both (wave-type field curvature).
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 7 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.