EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2023-03-29 08:45:48
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 18.104.22.168
Experience Report: Autofocus Precision and Focus Shift, Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G
See Sensor Resolution: Technical Challenges in Exploiting It as well as Autofocus AF-S Accuracy and Precision: Lens Align Target to understand precision and accuracy.
This page supplements and extends the Nikon 105mm f/1.4E assessment, but in this case taking a hard look at focusing precision and focus shift and whether AF fine tune is of value. It also looks at the best performance that can be obtained from f/2.8 through f/8 by focusing manually at each aperture, avoiding focus shift.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Nikon or on Canon or on Pentax.