EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2020-09-19 11:50:49
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 188.8.131.52
The deep zone of subject details near and far, the cabin angled to the camera, the very fine details all provide an excellent subject for evaluating a high performance lens.
Wyman Canyon lower cabin
Image quality is strikingly clear wide open at f/1.4, showing well controlled secondary color errors and no visible hazing from spherical aberration or longitudinal chromatic aberration. The near absence of such optical aberrations accounts for the striking clarity.
Towards the edges a halo effect can be seen on high contrast details at f/1.4 that is 4-5 pixels wide, suggesting that uncorrected aberrations remain. Stopping down to f/2 mostly cleans up the halo, with f/2.8 finishing the job. More on this in the crops.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Advanced DSLR is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 16 cents a day ($60/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd DAP is DSLR-oriented, but also contains workflow and other topics. Much of the focus is on Canon and Nikon but also Pentax and Pentax medium format.
Special emphasis is placed on lens evaluation, focusing on Canon and Nikon and Sigma lenses, but with a few others like Rokinon/Samyang.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly some of the new Sigma Art lenses vs Nikon and Canon.
- Workflow discusses image organization, raw conversion and post processing. Many examples show processing parameters for direct insight into how the image was converted.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.