EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2023-03-21 16:02:28
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 126.96.36.199
Using a Small Camera with a Heavy Lens on a Tripod
Don’t wreck the lens mount on your ALLVIEW camera by tripod mounting a tiny body with a large lens. Or by holding the camera alone, and letting the lever effect of a heavy lens put stress onto the mount.
It doesn’t take much force to subtly warp a lens mount. If you do that, you’ll end up with skew problems (uneven sharpness). Replacing the mount is very expensive.
You can’t see such damage; it might only be 10 or 20 microns of warping, but that’s huge in terms of what it can do to the image onto the sensor. Trust me, I’ve been there with my Nikon DSLRs (can be a $500 repair).
Novoflex tripod collar
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.