EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2022-05-21 17:33:35
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 22.214.171.124
Past experience with the Leica M Typ 240 (Bayer matrix color sensor) shows that the first hints of diffraction appear at f/8, with 9.5 still holding good quality but showing some dulling. Obvious dulling (loss of micro contrast) is occurring by f/11 and substantial losses are seen at f/16.
The 24-megapixel Leica M Typ 246 can be expected to suffer at least as much from diffraction, and probably a bit more, perhaps 1/2 stop earlier, since its sensor needs no demosaicing and thus has inherently higher spatial resolution.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.