EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2023-03-25 12:30:59
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 184.108.40.206
Leica M11 ISO from 64 to 50000, 36MP M-DNG vs 60MP L-DNG
Other than file size, is there any point to M-DNG and S-DNG, or are you just throwing away image quality?
This page looks at noise from ISO 64 to ISO 50K, comparing 60MP L-DNG against 36MP (downsampling the 60MP to match the 30MP via Photoshop Bicubic Sharper).
ISOS 64, 80, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12500, 25000, 50000 are shown and without chroma noise reduction and comparing downsampled 60-megapixel L-DNG to 36-megapixel M-DNG.
Field of view: compared to full resolution L-DNG, the M-DNG format has a tiny field of view crop, and S-DNG has a small but immediately noticeable crop (narrower field of view).
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.