EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2023-02-03 06:40:36
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 220.127.116.11
The 18/3.3 SEM makes 18-point sunstars from its 9-blade lens diaphragm, with straight (not rounded) blades.
Straight blades tend to produce striking sunstar patterns as seen here, and even more striking at night, with a very dark background.
Placing the sun between trees like this can help accentuate it against an otherwise too-bright sky.
Observe that wide open the sunstar is somewhat diffuse; this might be related to the faint flare on high contrast edges in the DeChambeau Sidelit Barn series; it clears up at f/5.6.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.