EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2023-02-03 02:11:40
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 126.96.36.199
This series is at close range—not the near focusing limit but quite close. Sometimes lens performance declines at close range, so this series looks at how the 28/1.4 Summilux performs at a very important distance that might be used for an environmental portrait, or similar.
The 5976 size is the full resolution image, so crops are not shown for this assessment.
Green Leaves in Creek Bottom
Adobe Camera Raw 9.1.1 (461). ACR settings. Camera Profile = Embedded. The M240 tints to magenta with longer exposures, so a green tint was added to compensate.
It is rather an embarrassment to present images with a tripod leg in the image! But the leg itself shows us some additional lens behavior, so it is useful. It was getting quite dark, and I could not see the leg in the viewfinder at f/1.4 (vignetting plus a low-res and dark EVF).
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.