EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2021-04-13 02:37:53
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 188.8.131.52
Leica supplies data for f/1.3 (not f/1.2)... is it a typo or is it actually f/1.3?
Distortion of the Leica 50mm f/1.2 Noctilux-M ASPH is classic barrel distortion of 3% into the corners. With only 6 elements, it appear that no effort was made to correct it. Software correction might be the smart move given the low technical performance.
This level of distortion is highly unattractive when shooting faces, enough that centering the subject would be wise. Similarly, architecture, groups of people, etc—count on employing distortion correction, composing slightly wide to account for the slight loss in field of view once corrected.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q, Leica SL.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.