EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2023-02-08 01:56:24
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 184.108.40.206
I tested one of the earliest samples of the Leica 50mm f/2 APO-Summicron-M ASPH in April 2013, and was the first reviewer to publicly and emphatically assert unacceptable flare behavior, a daring position disputed and rejected by many, including a well-known Leica expert and certain well-known reviewers.
The assertions of a troubling flare issue were substantiated at that time by examples on the pages that follow (each including in its title “April 2013 Sample” or “June 2013 Sample”). As far as can be known, all lenses in the production runs prior September 2013 or so are/were affected.
I continued evaluation with the flawed sample through summer. Over that time, the flare issue was documented, here in reverse chronological order:
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.