EXCERPT page containing first few paragraphs. 2023-02-03 01:19:58
UA_SEARCH_BOT_null @ 18.104.22.168
This series was shot to evaluate bokeh, but the veiling flare is so severe that the series is more interesting to show just how serious the veiling flare issue is with the Leica 75mm f/2.4 Summarit-M. Your author observed flare issues constantly in a wide variety of field usage scenarios; see for example the Mining Camp Bunkhouse and Green Barn series.
Veiling flare, is very diffuse, but covers a wide area of the frame. The flare seen here is disturbing because there was no reason to suspect that it would be a problem; there was no particularly challenging lighting, merely a bright source of cloudy sky (not sun!) outside the frame.
Article continues for subscribers...
Diglloyd Guide to Leica is by yearly subscription. Subscribe now for about 25 cents a day ($90/year).
BEST DEAL: get full access to ALL 8 PUBLICATIONS for only 68 cents a day ($249.95)!
Diglloyd Guide to LEICA contains in-depth coverage of Leica M system cameras and lenses, with additional coverage of Leica M Monochrom, Leica Q.
Special emphasis is placed on Leica M lenses and certain Zeiss ZM lenses.
- Make better images by learning how to get the best results right away.
- Save money by choosing the right lens for your needs the first time, particularly the Summilux/Summicron/Elmarit choice and/or Zeiss ZM.
- Make better images, a sort of “cheat sheet” saving yourself months or years of ad-hoc learning. Processing parameters are discussed and shown.
- Jaw-dropping image quality found nowhere else utilizing Retina-grade images up to full camera resolution, plus large crops [past 2 years or so].
- Real world examples with insights found nowhere else. Make sharper images just by understanding lens behavior you won’t read about elsewhere.
- Aperture series from wide open through stopped down, showing the full range of lens performance and bokeh.
- Optical quality analysis of field curvature, focus shift, sharpness, flare, distortion, and performance in the field.
Want a preview? Click on any page below to see an excerpt as well as extensive blog coverage, for example on Leica.